Sun 24 Apr: SL: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Channel 4)

Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/04/22 at 12:30

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a really enjoyable game. One of the seasons best. Fast and entertaining with some great tries and what summer rugby is all about.

Well played Salford, they really played their part and hung in there. I always like to watch them because of their style of play. Wigan did enough and its great to watch a team play expansive rugby with players that have genuine pace and fantastic tryscorers. It's a world away from the last few seasons.

Okay, now I'm off to the iPlayer for the live-stream of the women's Challenge Cup semi-finals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

brilliant game for tv- even the groundsman had made a special effort for the cameras with that green paint on the football markings- i mean , they were hardly visible to the naked eye! where did they get that paint from? Sellafield? 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Thought salford did well but they need to practice more for drop goals... not the last but the one before they were not all on the same page i.e. all should be focused on plays for drop goal positioning... however they did very well

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Browny must be out for Sunday Lunch.

I think I've identified his Twitter handle as @joshrh44 :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, now I'm off to the iPlayer for the live-stream of the women's Challenge Cup semi-finals.

Red Button / Sky 981

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Thought salford did well but they need to practice more for drop goals... not the last but the one before they were not all on the same page i.e. all should be focused on plays for drop goal positioning... however they did very well

They missed Marc Sneyd's ability to manage the preceding plays and deliver the killer blow.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

If you are going to lose, do it like that. Huge endeavour, attractively positive. 

I am glad people found that interesting. Personally it feels like a surprisingly good meal, which you immediately vomited out and slip on as soon as you left the eaterie.

You have to take some compensation of the overall performance. They matched a team whose wage bill is probably double Salford's. Plucky we are though. Optimism abound.

Like I said last week, SRD are missing some cute grizzly props directing better game management. Apparently Jackson Hastings tipped Ian Blease about his mate. The mate's form exploded and with that his value also did. The boy's pace clearly was the difference on the Field. 

Match that each week and I suspect SRD can reach the magical relegation dodging ten wins soon enough.

Safety remains the priority whilst they stay at the AJ  Bell of Astonishingly Limiting Revenue generating stadium.  .

Grin. Keep the faith. Next up erm Saints. ✌️🙂✌️

Just now, Damien said:

Yes because excluding players from teams and saying where they would finish makes complete sense.

I've always loved that line of thinking, without a player you have things would be different....yeah, and without ears my spectacles wouldn't fit....

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Superb finish to a really entertaining game. There is an absolutely fantastic evenly matched 11 team league within a league. Bravo to Salford, they have some superb backs. I am sure I wasn’t the only one who thought we would find a way to lose after bombing try after try after try. 

MotM - Amor. An absolute natural. Not content with having the best team, best young players, best coach, best conditioner and best board, Saints have the best expert commentator. 

"For sure"

That last 15 minutes was pretty madcap entertainment.

Stepping, overlaps blown, knock-ons with the line at the mercy, and a 100m try to win it.

Congrats to both sets of players on throwing the ball around and producing such a fun, unpredictable clash. Lots of errors and plenty of fatigue, but they both played with gusto. It made for a fun 80 minutes.

Well done to C4 on their presentation!

5 hours ago, dkw said:

I've always loved that line of thinking, without a player you have things would be different....yeah, and without ears my spectacles wouldn't fit....

You totally miss the point Injuries in RL are part and parcel of the game unlike losing your ears😜. If there is one team who can't afford a particular player getting injured for a lengthy period it is Wigan with Field. 

Kallum absolutely led by example. Playing at second row rather than centre demonstrated his quality and there are already some Reds who are advocating he becomes captain.

All Round excellent shift by SRD and the it really was the individual brilliance of Field and French that made the difference, Oh how we wish we could afford such talent. Both sides were immense in defence. I do not think Wigan are as handy as perhaps they have been this decade, but they have oceans of organization and determination to see it through. 

So it was the "Salford" boys who stood out for me. Byrne seems to have upped a step, Biddy looks as every bit as good as he promised to be. We have spoke about Watkins and finally a shout out for Brierley who had his best game for Salford.

SRD have real injury issues for the next few weeks. And we are next up with a rested Saints.🪖 Time to smile, be optimistic and see what happens. ✌️😄✌️

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived