Sylvain Houles says Toulouse should be exempt from relegation

Not really as Sylvain, great though he is, would say that woudn't he?

Paul Rowley says the same should apply to Salford, and I agree!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Without going into the P&R debate in detail, as its been done to death and many support exemptions and many hate the idea of them, but this line made me chuckle. 

"If you have two (French) clubs in Super League in 2025 you will have a good French World Cup."

And. 

"The day France beat England everyone can say around the table we've done well. Anyone will say to have that, you have to have two teams in Super League."

I'm afraid this is a poorly thought out argument. It is self preservation, no more no less. And I have no issue with him arguing his clubs cause, he's doing the best for Toulouse. 

But 2 French teams are not the requirement for a good World Cup. And I would argue that for France to beat England you have to have 2 French teams in. I'd argue it will take much more than that. 

More than ever we need strategic direction around SL's setup for things like this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But 2 French teams are not the requirement for a good World Cup

So does that mean that you think if there was 4 ( pick a number ) French teams in Super League then that would not mean a better World Cup.

There`s a reason why England and Oz hold the WC. Because that is where there are the most Rugby League clubs and have the best chance of succeeding.

The more clubs, the greater the footprint.

• Like 4

Oh dear Sylvain. You had a little cry when Leigh got selected for being fast tracked into Super League, and now you have got upset once again ! So it's the RFL's fault you did not strengthen your championship winning squad, even after you released 2 players, and subsequently only won one game. Last time I checked you are only 4 points adrift, and play at home to 'out of form' Wakefield. Also in July TO have 4 home games, so stop blubbering. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

So does that mean that you think if there was 4 ( pick a number ) French teams in Super League then that would not mean a better World Cup.

There`s a reason why England and Oz hold the WC. Because that is where there are the most Rugby League clubs and have the best chance of succeeding.

The more clubs, the greater the footprint.

PNG had no NRL clubs. NZ had one. 

Arguing that 2 is the number for success is convenient for Toulouse. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

PNG had no NRL clubs. NZ had one. 

Arguing that 2 is the number for success is convenient for Toulouse. 

I think what he was arguing wasn`t necessarily two but anything more than one would help to sell it, especially if you are going to expect people to pay a reasonable price for tickets.

PNG and NZ only held games not entire World Cups, they could, but they`d have to give tickets away or make them very very cheap.

Anyway it looks like they are probably only going to have one team in SL, so marketing it is going to become a lot more important, probably like it would have been anyway.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I think what he was arguing wasn`t necessarily two but anything more than one would help to sell it, especially if you are going to expect people to pay a reasonable price for tickets.

PNG and NZ only held games not entire World Cups, they could, but they`d have to give tickets away or make them very very cheap.

Anyway it looks like they are probably only going to have one team in SL, so marketing it is going to become a lot more important, probably like it would have been anyway.

Yes, I'm being a touch pedantic with his argument. Had he spoken more high level about needing increased presence and a larger player pool etc. then I'd agree, but when he is naming two as the number as his team sits in the relegation spot, it makes your argument transparent. 

I don't agree that they should be exempt at all - exemptions for one while another is relegated is an untenable situation and I'm a backer of P&R as a structure (though there is a valid argument surrounding the travel costs argument creating an uneven playing field that could justify it, same applied for Leigh last year).

This is ultimately one of the negative realities of this system, you are undoubtedly limiting any form of strategic support that could be given to the international game in a variety of different facets, the consequences of this will be felt moving forward but we can only hope have limited impact on the success of things such as the WC.

I think his comments and logic are quite correct but obviously Toulouse being bottom means they smack of self preservation and gives them less credibility.

It again just highlights the lack of a whole game approach when it comes to developing the game both domestically and internationally. France 2025 offers a great opportunity for the sport but only if we can capitalise on it. A 14 team SL with 2 places reserved for French clubs, no loop fixtures and a couple of mid season French internationals just ticks all the boxes for me to build the game.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, clogdance said:

Oh dear Sylvain. You had a little cry when Leigh got selected for being fast tracked into Super League, and now you have got upset once again ! So it's the RFL's fault you did not strengthen your championship winning squad, even after you released 2 players, and subsequently only won one game. Last time I checked you are only 4 points adrift, and play at home to 'out of form' Wakefield. Also in July TO have 4 home games, so stop blubbering. 🙄

Davo5 is 'confused' shock horror !  😜 😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, clogdance said:

I think you'll find it is the owners of Super League clubs who decide who is in Super League - not the RFL.

When Leigh were last promoted - it was an ' independent ' decision.

Toulouse may not have been able to strengthen their squad given 2 players were in dispute,and they were paying all travel costs for the 'entitled ' elite clubs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

If they go down, they go down. 

If they stay up, then two stronger clubs will come up. Depends whether the Greedy SL chairmen think of the game in general or their own back pockets. 

For me, it's a no brainer because a 12 team SL with one scapegoat is boring. Put 3 in there and make relegation a real battle. May sell out Belle Vue, LSV and PO Road whilst we are at it. Can't sell out Toulouse, but we may fill a stand! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think you'll find it is the owners of Super League clubs who decide who is in Super League - not the RFL.

When Leigh were last promoted - it was an ' independent ' decision.

Toulouse may not have been able to strengthen their squad given 2 players were in dispute,and they were paying all travel costs for the 'entitled ' elite clubs. 

You got my drift didn't you though ? Toulouse had to agree to pay the away clubs travel costs to be allowed into the Super League. If this is going to prove too much for them, then so be it. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

If they go down, they go down. 

If they stay up, then two stronger clubs will come up. Depends whether the Greedy SL chairmen think of the game in general or their own back pockets. 

For me, it's a no brainer because a 12 team SL with one scapegoat is boring. Put 3 in there and make relegation a real battle. May sell out Belle Vue, LSV and PO Road whilst we are at it. Can't sell out Toulouse, but we may fill a stand! 

their own back pockets. 

That set me wondering. Which greedy SL chairmen are currently lining their own back pockets?

18 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Did that not happen in '17 in Australia Rocket? it certainly happened in England in '13 and if I was a betting man I would wager it will also happen this year also.