IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I can't say I've given the finer detail much thought but there's something to be said for your idea of (presumably) regional knock-out comps (perhaps one per week) feeding into a finals tournament. 

Just my immediate thought when a Nines competition was mooted.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if these teams had generic names and were able to draw on any club's playing staff as "guests".

But we'll see.   Nothing's certain yet.   And what we do decide on can always be abandoned if it doesn't work.

My main hope is for a plan that is to take effect from 2024 to be decided and made public before the beginning of the 2023 season, so that we all know what we're playing for.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 hours ago, Griff said:

I was thinking it'd be played on summer evenings, three knock-out games on the night, maybe ten minutes each way, each evening's event being part of a bigger event.  Maybe four events, leading to four teams meeting in the final.

Who knows ?

But I can't see the point of it being an all-day Magic type event, if we're trying to ape The Hundred.   The whole point of The Hundred is that it's short and sweet and caters to folks' short attention span.

Like a game of RL ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Like a game of RL ?

No. Like three short games.

It's not my pot of tea but it looks like that's the way things are heading.

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Are we thinking that these Hundred-type events are primarily aimed at folk who go to the grounds or a TV audience ?

Not that one would exclude the other as paying customers, obviously.

They would look pretty poor in empty stadiums , not be a problem in East Anglia , massive RL following down there 😉

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

I see Sky are now asking if French clubs are valuable.

And the consensus of views they presented was overwhelmingly yes, and also recognised there is potential there for both British and French RL that should be nurtured and supported.

• Thanks 1

I think the most likely thing to happen is IMG back out of this deal. I honestly believe the game is basically done for in England. IMG can't change it.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

I think the most likely thing to happen is IMG back out of this deal. I honestly believe the game is basically done for in England. IMG can't change it.

Good to see that the Spirit of Rugby League is still alive! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I give it five years.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

They only signed the deal a few months ago!

I love this level of compulsive negativity, for far too long have we allowed the world and reality to give us any cause for hope. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 hours ago, MattSantos said:

It doesnt look like that at all. 

There was a question.

That's it. 

Looks like it to me 

Edited by Griff

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

The problems in the English game are so deep. I'm not sure any company could change it. 

I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

Can't see P/R going anywhere. Too much opposition so that leaves the RFL with one option which is to improve the standard of the second tier and reduce the gap. It's not like every club in the Champ is a small town outfit. I would not be surprised if we end up with a 2x10 structure and I think worry too much about whether it will turn off fans. I don't think anyone new to the sport will care about whether they are 10 or 12 clubs in the top tier. Any reform needs to ensure an adequate level of funding for League 1 clubs so they don't go under. Let clubs from League 1 or Elite 1 in France apply for license if they meet the requirements.

10 hours ago, Pulga said:

The problems in the English game are so deep. I'm not sure any company could change it. 

I'd love to be proven wrong.

You are right that the problems run deep as exemplified by this message board over the years.

Just imagine if a group of people last week created a new game called rugby league and then with a blank sheet of paper created the governance structure, league structure, financial regulations etc. they would end up with something that fits their vision and shows a pathway to grow the game.

However the situation we have now is that we have a group of influential people representing sections of the sport looking at a sheet of paper that is full of squiggles, rubbing outs, outdated diagrams, old and used league structures and self interest thoughts.  IMHO SOME of those influential people are not remotely interested in creating a new world order for the game but in making sure that whatever is decided only meets their own/club agenda ……. and somehow they expect to create a more profitable product!   Absolutely crackers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Can't see P/R going anywhere. Too much opposition so that leaves the RFL with one option which is to improve the standard of the second tier and reduce the gap. It's not like every club in the Champ is a small town outfit. I would not be surprised if we end up with a 2x10 structure and I think worry too much about whether it will turn off fans. I don't think anyone new to the sport will care about whether they are 10 or 12 clubs in the top tier. Any reform needs to ensure an adequate level of funding for League 1 clubs so they don't go under. Let clubs from League 1 or Elite 1 in France apply for license if they meet the requirements.

Agree - but you will never reduce the gap when you give the top tier all the money?

• Like 2

On 26/08/2022 at 12:01, Pulga said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine!!

• Haha 4

Anyone with half a brain  can see that under the current structure the game is slowing going to bleed to death.

The reality is we can only sustain no more than 6 clubs at the top level in the M62 corridor and 2 of them are from Hull.

Needs a vibrant championship under a totally revamped competition at the top with a re-branding.

P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Anyone with half a brain  can see that under the current structure the game is slowing going to bleed to death.

The reality is we can only sustain no more than 6 clubs at the top level in the M62 corridor and 2 of them are from Hull.

Needs a vibrant championship under a totally revamped competition at the top with a re-branding.

P

That isn't the reality though. It's your opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

P

We have a vibrant Championship 

22 hours ago, RP London said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine!!

I apologise but I don't see how it can change for the better.

The problems I hear of in Super League are identical to bush footy here in Australia. 

The community game and the professional game are mostly seperate in Australia and the NRL is now 15 - 20 times the size of SL.

In England the professional game is the community game and all those silly biases and small town thinking creep in.

P&R is a baby boomer's nostalgia trip and nothing more.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg