Transfer Rumour Mill 22/23

22 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Newcastle and Bradford could be exiting the Championship next season and not upwards, just saying.

Swinton, Newcastle, Bradford, Broncos for my far too early prediction. Fact that clubs havent´t signed up loads probably helps Swinton. Newcastle could be better with a committed part time team but the weaker teams where you could pencil in a win (Workington, Dewsbury, Oldham two years ago) they´ve all been shuffled out. 

Hope Sheffield can stay up also. 

Ant Walker has lots of talent and looked great the season before last when returned to the game after a few years out. Last season, he admitted to having family issues that were affecting his game.

When he's on song, no matter how overweight he is, he can be devastating at Championship level. He is capable of making yards for fun and looking for supporting players. Whether he can reproduce that impact will be revealed in the World Cup.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

We can only see. My good friend from Saints knows his stuff. 

Does a Yorkshireman count on the quota ? 

Which Yorkshireman are you suggesting Saints are interested in? Saints have cap space with Grace going (https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/there...ns-boss-60065/) but last I heard the Yorkshireman they were interested in wasn’t an option as their club weren’t willing for him to leave “at any price”.

Wouldnt be surprised if LT were back at Saints in 2024, but will be with Bulldogs next year. Similarly Walmsley won’t be going anywhere, he’s not as essential as he was a few years ago with Lees and Paasi having really stepped up, and there’s high hopes for Wingfield and Delaney in the next few years, but Walmsley is one of the drivers of Saints Culture, really well liked in the squad and just rolling off his testimonial. 

1 hour ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Which Yorkshireman are you suggesting Saints are interested in? Saints have cap space with Grace going (https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/there...ns-boss-60065/) but last I heard the Yorkshireman they were interested in wasn’t an option as their club weren’t willing for him to leave “at any price”.

Wouldnt be surprised if LT were back at Saints in 2024, but will be with Bulldogs next year. Similarly Walmsley won’t be going anywhere, he’s not as essential as he was a few years ago with Lees and Paasi having really stepped up, and there’s high hopes for Wingfield and Delaney in the next few years, but Walmsley is one of the drivers of Saints Culture, really well liked in the squad and just rolling off his testimonial. 

Do Saints play at the LSV ?

Its a Rumour thread after all, and apparently Walmsley may be only off to Leigh should Thompson come home early. You may have misinterpreted me a little.

Speaking of Saints, will be interesting see how they go next year under Wellens. I think the competition is more wide open than the bookies say !

14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fact that clubs havent´t signed up loads probably helps Swinton.

I reckon that nearly every club has got around 25 players already signed up.   They just haven't announced them.

• Like 4

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Do Saints play at the LSV ?

Its a Rumour thread after all, and apparently Walmsley may be only off to Leigh should Thompson come home early. You may have misinterpreted me a little.

Speaking of Saints, will be interesting see how they go next year under Wellens. I think the competition is more wide open than the bookies say !

Interesting apologies for the confusion. As I say, I find it unlikely (and one of the reason I know Thompson wants to come back is that he misses playing with Walmsley, so would be a slightly odd merry-go-round), but it is rumour season as you say!

I know Saints have been pursuing Lewis Murphy as a replacement for Regan Grace, but Wakefield aren't interested in entertaining the possibility. We may look to ship out a non fed to accommodate an overseas winger coming in, but with non fed spots at an absolute premium for most clubs at the moment, it seems unlikely we are going to lose one of our choosing, and thus the noise from Wellens is for Bennison to get the 5 shirt next year, and going after Murphy/Davies when theyre out of contract next year. How Saints manage the 5 shirt will define Wellens first season (along with how Dodd returns, if he comes back in the form he was in when he was injured, its effectively a major new signing for us!)

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

I reckon that nearly every club has got around 25 players already signed up.   They just haven't announced them.

Maybe some waiting on IMG announcement. Lucky Keighley putting pressure on to stay competitive or I could see clubs slashing next two seasons if you cant get promoted on the field (we know Toulouse will spend a million so don’t waste the cash).

16 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

The person they are desperate to bring back is British (LT).  Walmsley getting too injury prone apparently. 

Saints do want Thompson back but he's staying in the NRL at least for 2023. So if he does come back it will be for 2024, which is more likely anyway with LMS retiring and Paasi out of Contract at the end of 2023. Its nothing to do with Walmsley who definately isn't leaving anytime soon.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Maybe some waiting on IMG announcement. 

Not really.  I think you're assujming that clubs will sign a player and then rush out to announce it to the press whereas I'm thinking that clubs will sign players and then announce it in a manner that (they hope) keeps interest going over the close season.

• Like 5

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Morgan Smith confirmed Fev to Wakefield.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

James ford to wakey 

27 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

As assistant coach.

From the outside this looks a strange appointment - not from the point of view of Wakefield I might add, as if confirmed they will have added an experienced and well-regarded assistant to support their younger, and  relatively inexperienced head coach. Looks a good move from Wakefield's POV.

But a couple of years ago Ford seemed to be in the conversation for every SL head coaching gig that came vacant, and when he signed that contract to the end of 2024 it looked an indication of how committed he was to York. Now after 8 years as head coach he's going to be assistant to a younger guy that he used to coach himself.

I know it's not unprecedented for a Championship head coach to go as an assistant to a SL club (eg Andrew Henderson) but this just feels a little odd to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

HAll quiet ont Bulls front. Could have sworn we were to make an announcement mid week. 

Current "roster" is: 

DFJ 

Baldwinson 

Patton 

Miller 

Holmes 

Blackmore

Lawford 

Flanagan

Flanagan jnr 

Green 

England 

Gill 

Lilley 

Scott

Hallas 

Butler

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

From the outside this looks a strange appointment - not from the point of view of Wakefield I might add, as if confirmed they will have added an experienced and well-regarded assistant to support their younger, and  relatively inexperienced head coach. Looks a good move from Wakefield's POV.

But a couple of years ago Ford seemed to be in the conversation for every SL head coaching gig that came vacant, and when he signed that contract to the end of 2024 it looked an indication of how committed he was to York. Now after 8 years as head coach he's going to be assistant to a younger guy that he used to coach himself.

I know it's not unprecedented for a Championship head coach to go as an assistant to a SL club (eg Andrew Henderson) but this just feels a little odd to me.

I think Ford stumbled this year and york were fairly understated

I think he needs to rebuild his stature pretty quickly because this seems like a very strange move 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

agree, plus never did richard marshall any good either

New owner normally means new coach. People said that wouldn’t be case but fact York let him go makes me think that the Australian owner will want an Australian.

Did a great job at York from bottom of League 1 to a stable championship side where finishing outside playoffs is now considered a disappointment.

• Like 3