Toulouse out of pocket again

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Just shows Why we need to link Elite 1 and RFL Champ at same level of pyramid to avoid this farce and build french teams up. 

I’m theory yes, but Elite 1 presently would be an even weaker preparation for SL than the championship is. 

There's a lot of noises coming out of Toulouse right now which I see as groundwork to get some kind of reprieve.

This is very much, "we're not going anywhere and you're going to make us burn through a lot of cash by relegating us".

The story the other day was their presence in SL had brought forward the possibility of a French TV deal, it's all very nudge-nudge. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m theory yes, but Elite 1 presently would be an even weaker preparation for SL than the championship is. 

I think Shropshire really means build it up and have Elite 1 equal as the Championship. Rather than the other way round.

Question is how then? 

It goes without saying that forcing Toulouse to pay for competitors to travel is scandalous.

It is small minded and insular. 

It is deeply noncompetitive to the point of being rigged. 

It is prejudiced against French clubs and clearly a huge deterrent to any further continental team joining SL/Championship

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

But as we have seen both are no prep at all.  Gives Élite 1 alot more chance over time to be successful and if champ is losing funding anyway, that gap isnt going to be as significant. 

Its 500,000 back into the sport and not travel which seems a no brainer. 

I know what you mean, but as it stands TO would win every game in Elite 1 and would go backwards as a result. That division is decades off being as strong as the Championship sadly. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Then would gut the squad for SL as has happened every season bar covid years with 500000 more to attack it.  I dont think the top Élite 1 teams are worse than a Sheffield or Bradford as it stands. 

Maybe, but if you’re comparing the top elite teams in this situation it needs to be with Leigh and Fev.  

41 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

There's a lot of noises coming out of Toulouse right now which I see as groundwork to get some kind of reprieve.

This is very much, "we're not going anywhere and you're going to make us burn through a lot of cash by relegating us".

The story the other day was their presence in SL had brought forward the possibility of a French TV deal, it's all very nudge-nudge. 

Good,hope we go to 14 and they stay up.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I think Shropshire really means build it up and have Elite 1 equal as the Championship. Rather than the other way round.

Question is how then? 

It goes without saying that forcing Toulouse to pay for competitors to travel is scandalous.

It is small minded and insular. 

It is deeply noncompetitive to the point of being rigged. 

It is prejudiced against French clubs and clearly a huge deterrent to any further continental team joining SL/Championship

What you are wanting I think, is a championship based on say the United Rugby championship in rugby union. 

However you would need competitive teams from other nations which we just don't have.

At the moment we have a championship where teams are mostly part time and can't afford to travel to Toulouse.

In fairness Toulouse appreciate this and have paid it.

The league also has to look after the current clubs and their welfare. 

20 minutes ago, Derwent said:

£500k to fund the opposition travel costs ? For 12 home games against UK opposition ? Fantasy figure. No way does it cost over £40k per trip. 

I think 500K is way over too, I was quoted ~300K (euro) when they were using charter flights as it was around 30K to 35K to charter a fight for a day round trip. Hotels and stuff on top of that, but I can't believe that would be no more than 3-4K on top

Edit: however, airfare is a lot more expensive than it was a couple of seasons ago

Edited by kiggy
update

6 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Letting Toulouse get relegated and replaced by a suburb of Wakefield or Wigan would be an extra of pure lunacy

Then it stops becoming sport and the game we know.

They aren't suburbs, they are towns in their own right. 

Both get higher attendances than London. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I know what you mean, but as it stands TO would win every game in Elite 1 and would go backwards as a result. That division is decades off being as strong as the Championship sadly. 

Not true at all Elite 1 is not that far of the championship at all. And Elite 1 will definitely become a better competition then the championship over the next few years. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Not true at all Elite 1 is not that far of the championship at all. And Elite 1 will definitely become a better competition then the championship over the next few years. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Can you expand on how you know Elite 1 will definitely become better than the championship over the next few years please - what are the plans to do that? 

Edited by Eddie

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Evidence please.

Next year Storm Old Boys are planning to travel to Albi, via Toulouse airport, stay three nights in Ibis Budget (where the Welsh team stayed), and play Tigers and Realmont recreational teams.

So... probably the same airline, same duration and same hotel... and we estimate £250/£300 per person.

Even upping that to £500 per person for the professionals, and a squad of thirty players and officials is only fifteen grand a time.

Maybe the half million is excessive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Do I, Leigh have pumped everyone in Championship so it´s an outlier not representative of the league. You were talking about a gulf in the leagues , not an outlier in each. 

The top teams you said, if the two leagues are to be considered equal in stature then the likes of Lezignan and Limoux would need to be as good as Fev and Halifax. Likewise the likes of Avignon and St Gaudens would need to be as good as Bradford and Sheffield. 

Toulouse and Catalans have been taking over £1.5 million of the UK TV money without providing a single subscriber so they are still well in pocket.

Let them keep anything they can get from a French TV deal let the UK clubs keep the UK TV money and then I'm sure nobody will mind paying their own fares to France.

• Haha 2

The list of clubs shafted by SL, and financially handicapped in one way or another is depressing. But worth repeating...

Paris SG

Gateshead

Toronto

Catalan

Toulouse

Bradford

And people wonder why TV and sponsors are losing interest.

... But hold on! What's this? It's Leigh riding to SL's rescue...

• Like 3