Fri 9th Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/22 at 19:00

3 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Might have worked- danger is that if that set a precedent then 10 would have joined after 

Also he did bin a catalans player, but it had no impact on mcillorum, dudson or pearce again who followed

It's not good. Players now milking incidents/ looking to injure too often. It's got to change. 

One from one side is a great deal different than one from each. Just sin binning a Catalans player was fuel to the fire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Talk to them authoritatively and tell them firmly that it stops. It was a situation where he gradually lost control and respect.

It wasn't so much decisions but his demeanour and body language that allowed the game to degenerate.

Players are at fault- don't excuse ill discipline. It is no excuse to hit someone late because they thought referees body language was weak. 

Accept decisions, like saints and Wigan did in cup semi which Child officiated excellently 

If we've got to point where a referee who makes (largley) correct decisions isn't respected, then we may as well give up 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, meast said:

Horrible game played by 2 horrible teams with some absolute grubs between them, and the grubs won.

Leeds deserved it but as others have said, they knew which buttons to press to cause maximum damage to Catalans ill discipline, that's not to say Leeds weren't I'll disciplined they just didn't get caught as much.

I hope the Leeds fans whining about referee's having it in for them will stop now.

Too much Pißing about and playacting, not enough quality, exciting rugby league on show.

Hopefully tomorrow's game is everything tonight wasn't, an exciting, action packed home win 👍

🙂

Seriously though the way it kicked off at the end with the last few minutes played in a rain of bottles and beer cups, Child having to be manhandled off the pitch amongst a shower of  missiles, the Leeds players dodging similar as they celebrated and then the brief bit of fighting on the stairs leading to the away seating was all a bit intense.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, M j M said:

Seriously though the way it kicked off at the end with the last few minutes played in a rain of bottles and beer cups, Child having to be manhandled off Tim pitch amongst a shower on missiles, the Leeds players dodging similar as they celebrated and then the brief bit of fighting on the stairs leading to the away seating was a bit intense.

Posted earlier on this, Catalans should be fined by Super League

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

One from one side is a great deal different than one from each. Just sin binning a Catalans player was fuel to the fire.

Absolutely That seemed a situation to either bin one from each team or just penalise. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Players are at fault- don't excuse ill discipline. It is no excuse to hit someone late because they thought referees body language was weak. 

Accept decisions, like saints and Wigan did in cup semi which Child officiated excellently 

If we've got to point where a referee who makes (largley) correct decisions isn't respected, then we may as well give up 

I just think Child could have been a lot more impressive in how he kept hold of that encounter.

Both sets of players turned me right off the game. I'm certainly not condoning the rubbish that went on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yes, Child needed to keep control of that. The players were boiling over. I think the cards were probably the right calls, but he shouldn't have let the control slide.

It was a very frustrating and unappealing game to watch.

So refs should blow more and send more people off? 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Absolutely That seemed a situation to either bin one from each team or just penalise. 

I don't think he can referee this way though. He can only sin bin each offence on its merits.

We heard that the initial sin bin was for the Catalan player taking control away from him which was reasonable. But then he can't add a Leeds player to even it up.

• Like 2

It was plainly clear both sets of players were going out of their way to niggle the opposition , so as a ref you've a choice , let them run the game , or you run the game , Child's took too much ' chat ' from both sides , it needed nipping in the bud , he didn't do it , he's experienced enough to know this , poor game from him , poor from the players 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

It was plainly clear both sets of players were going out of their way to niggle the opposition , so as a ref you've a choice , let them run the game , or you run the game , Child's took too much ' chat ' from both sides , it needed nipping in the bud , he didn't do it , he's experienced enough to know this , poor game from him , poor from the players 

He took far too much from Garcia in particular. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, M j M said:

Seriously though the way it kicked off at the end with the last few minutes played in a rain of bottles and beer cups, Child having to be manhandled off the pitch amongst a shower of  missiles, the Leeds players dodging similar as they celebrated and then the brief bit of fighting on the stairs leading to the away seating was all a bit intense.

I didn't see that.

But it's unacceptable, we all get passionate at times but you have to control it.

Anyway, enough about Leeds fans 😜 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He took far too much from Garcia in particular. 

Too much from too many on both sides , McNamara should have seen Mickeymac had lost it when Dudson dragged him away from Bentley and took him off , it was obvious what was going to happen , and that's when the game went for the Cats 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Not necessarily, but they need to be decisive, consistent and authoritative. Child lost the players, especially the Catalans players.

Child didn’t lose the players. The Catalans players lost the plot, they couldn’t control themselves in the emotion fuelled environment 

• Like 6

I'm loathe to criticise refs and I think Child - no s- has been one of the better ones, but I thought tonight he let the players dictate how the game went and wasn't strong enough to deal with the frustration and niggle from both sides.

Another thing that irks me though is a referee calling players "mate" I don't like it at all.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Niels said:

I don't think he can referee this way though. He can only sin bin each offence on its merits.

We heard that the initial sin bin was for the Catalan player taking control away from him which was reasonable. But then he can't add a Leeds player to even it up.

No but both players were being idiots before Pearce came in he could’ve easily binned both. Or just penalised and moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to clear this up I’m not defending Catalans discipline which was awful. IMO both teams went into the game knowing they could play the ref. They also used this to wind each other up even more when they got a decision to go in there favour. With that which ever team started getting a couple of decisions the other one was going to lose it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Child didn’t lose the players. The Catalans players lost the plot, they couldn’t control themselves in the emotion fuelled environment 

I do wonder if that basically one sided cauldron of a crowd does impact catalans negatively in these big games, particularly when they start bottling it.

• Like 3