2 up from the champ in 2023?

Certainly I can see them wanting 14 teams, seems a better number, no matter the "where will the players come from" argument which is a short term issue. This would definitely be the way to do it IMHO as its seen as fair and on the pitch. 

However, as with anything in RL at the moment, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 3

When you see the sums being spent by Leigh and Featherstone this year you do wonder if there is a massive incentive to get promoted this year and secure a year to build with safety. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

With the usual caveats of "IF it's true..."

This is the usual short termism we get in Rugby League.

Teams are already building squads for next season and suddenly there is talk that what we are playing for next season might change.

Will we ever learn to plan long term?

The fairest way to change the number of teams is to announce NOW that there will be two up in 2024. In fact, I'd argue 2025 would be even better.

You HAVE to give teams the chance to build sustainably - over a period of at least two seasons.

IF they announce two up for 2023, then there'll be a few teams will who will bankrupt themselves this off-season to try and get one of those two slots for next season.

• Like 6

Does anyone know when championship recruitment is allowed to start , is it the same as super league? According to the show many players are out of contract because in the delay of the decision of the format next season. With most of the super league players snapped up it seems the only option is to do a leigh then you get critised for that . It baffles me that in a supposed new world of inclusivity the format to gain entry in the super league is the complete opposite.

If (and it’s a big if right now) two teams are to be elevated to Super League, would you allow for team performances to be the way to decides who goes up? If there’s a shock (London in 2018, for example) in a one-off game, you could theoretically end up with a side in Super League who aren’t deemed as valuable by those in the higher echelons of the sport and ahead of big changes structurally and to the next TV deal that does not seem the best way to do that, if this is indeed true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockingchair said:

Does anyone know when championship recruitment is allowed to start , is it the same as super league? According to the show many players are out of contract because in the delay of the decision of the format next season. With most of the super league players snapped up it seems the only option is to do a leigh then you get critised for that . It baffles me that in a supposed new world of inclusivity the format to gain entry in the super league is the complete opposite.

Championship clubs have been able to recruit for next season for a number of months as evidenced by the announcements made over the last few days some of which were agreed weeks ago but kept back until the end of the season. 

The biggest issue for most Championship clubs is not knowing their central funding for next season

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Harrison then goes on to suggest there'll be two licensed leagues of 10 with a top 8 Championship cut-off.  

Just been listening to that, it doesn't really make sense in terms of the maths of getting to two leagues of 10 or of 12. 

If it's two leagues of 10 you'd relegate 4 from a 14 team SL and promote the top 6 of the Championship.

If it's two leagues of 12 you'd relegate 2 from a 14 team SL and promote the top 10 from the Championship.

Unless there's franchises awarded on another basis...

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

4 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Just been listening to that, it doesn't really make sense in terms of the maths of getting to two leagues of 10 or of 12. 

If it's two leagues of 10 you'd relegate 4 from a 14 team SL and promote the top 6 of the Championship.

If it's two leagues of 12 you'd relegate 2 from a 14 team SL and promote the top 10 from the Championship.

Unless there's franchises awarded on another basis...

It wasn't convincing at all but neither does it sound like the IMG grand masterplan will simply be shoving two more teams in Super League. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

It wasn't convincing at all but neither does it sound like the IMG grand masterplan will simply be shoving two more teams in Super League. 

It was highly, highly speculative. I didn't get the sense they knew any more than we do here. It was quite telling when it went from "it'll be two full time leagues" to "oh yeah there's not enough money so the second division must be part-time" in the space of 15 seconds. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d prefer one down and three up, or it gives the bottom feeders the chance to make even less effort next season. 

Who isn't trying in SL? 

And whilst the easy answer here is Wire,  I don't think that's strictly right 🤣

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Who isn't trying in SL? 

And whilst the easy answer here is Wire,  I don't think that's strictly right 🤣

Well it means that Powell can carry on destroying your club without worrying about relegation. It also allows the unflushable turds at Wakey yet another reprieve. Cas could well be bottom feeders too, although I see that as a positive 😜

That said, a 14 team league will be far better for neutrals like me.  There's only so many times you can enthused about watching Leeds v Wigan or Hull v Hull FC etc.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

A SL of 14 is the best solution that gets us Toulouse in whilst giving everyone else next year in champ something to play for. No loop fixtures and either Fev join them for Fev vs Wakefield, Cas, Leeds or a new team to get a shot at growing their fan base. 

Why Fev? 🤔 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Championship clubs have been able to recruit for next season for a number of months as evidenced by the announcements made over the last few days some of which were agreed weeks ago but kept back until the end of the season. 

The biggest issue for most Championship clubs is not knowing their central funding for next season

Do you know what the central funding is for the championship? 

5 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

Do you know what the central funding is for the championship? 

No I don’t other than it’s performance linked but not all on finishing places. Things like number of Twitter & Facebook etc followers count towards the final sum you receive 

21 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Why Fev? 🤔 

I'm a Fev fan OG and I too said "why Fev?'. Obviously I'd like Fev to go up, but whoever it is, it has to be on the field performance that gets them there and nothing else.

• Like 3

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

A bloke with no actual inside knowledge makes a speculative podcast and we get a whole new thread of speculation about what structures folk would prefer. Don't you love RL forums?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A bloke with no actual inside knowledge makes a speculative podcast and we get a whole new thread of speculation about what structures folk would prefer. Don't you love RL forums?

Its absolutely daft.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

With the usual caveats of "IF it's true..."

This is the usual short termism we get in Rugby League.

Ah don't we all enjoy a "structure" thread.

Facing financial ruin as capitalism goes breast up?

Experiencing Regal Mourning fatigue?

Just endured a 12 hour wait at A&E and left feeling nothing works anymore?

Well comfort yourselves with another RL structure debate.

First Paul. Yes they do not learn. Short termism. RL makes it almost into an art, maybe more a curse.

Question? Do other sports act so hasty? Answer of course is nope. Eg UEFA announces its expansion of the Champions League in the 21-22 season to enact it for the 24-25 campaign. Plenty of time (and greed to be fair).

The sad thing SL is now 12, it will be 14, then 10, back to 12, then 14 again, 10 and finally somewhere between 8 and 32 in the next decades if precedence is the guide.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Harrison then goes on to suggest there'll be two licensed leagues of 10 with a top 8 Championship cut-off.  

So imagine that Championship add on is  Batley, Keighley, Swinton, Barrow, Whitehaven, Sheffield.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

A SL of 14 is the best solution. 

14 has to be the working number for so many reasons for the SL.

in my opinion.

Unite British and French game into one jointly run federation (like UEFA etc)

RFL runs British Game. FFR13 runs French Game. (Like the FA and FFF)

Three tiers-

Senior (full professional, two league of 14 plus reminder who can be thus)

Immediate (semi professional of all the remaining clubs not able to be senior clubs)

BARLA (Amateur/expenses)

Edited by idrewthehaggis

22 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Ah don't we all enjoy a "structure" thread.

Facing financial ruin as capitalism goes breast up?

Experiencing Regal Mourning fatigue?

Just endured a 12 hour wait at A&E and left feeling nothing works anymore?

Well comfort yourselves with another RL structure debate.

First Paul. Yes they do not learn. Short termism. RL makes it almost into an art, maybe more a curse.

Question? Do other sports act so hasty? Answer of course is nope. Eg UEFA announces its expansion of the Champions League in the 21-22 season to enact it for the 24-25 campaign. Plenty of time (and greed to be fair).

The sad thing SL is now 12, it will be 14, then 10, back to 12, then 14 again, 10 and finally somewhere between 8 and 32 in the next decades if precedence is the guide.

So imagine that Championship add on is  Batley, Keighley, Swinton, Barrow, Whitehaven, Sheffield.

14 has to be the working number for so many reasons for the SL.

in my opinion.

Unite British and French game into one jointly run federation (like UEFA etc)

RFL runs British Game. FFR13 runs French Game. (Like the FA and FFF)

Three tiers-

Senior (full professional, two league of 14 plus reminder who can be thus)

Immediate (semi professional of all the remaining clubs not able to be senior clubs)

BARLA (Amateur/expenses)

So no French teams in SL and have some form of Champs league fixtures - can France get 14 pro clubs?

• Like 1