the worlds top 5 players now

6 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I didn't realise you had mentioned any of the attributes of the players mentioned, just that they all play in the NRL. Is that an attribute?

didn't think about what comp they were in to be honest 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

We will learn a lot about Kikau next year at the Bulldogs when he doesn't have the Panthers forwards and the shift of Yeo and Cleary to create space for him.

While I agree he is top quality, i think there are a few wdge forwards who would excel in that Panthers side.

Important point . The team you’re playing in and the standard of players around you . Tom Trobojevic definitely as without him Manly are half a team 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

And every other player that doesn't play in the NRL by the looks of it.

Yet another thread pandering to the NRL Kleenex crew.

😆

The commentators tonight on the Roos game nailed it. (Am paraphrasing)

"All are playing week in week out in the best competition in the world"

"Making his first appearances for the Kangaroos, but unable to crack the NSW side quite yet"

Neither Jonathan Davies nor the main commentator left us in ANY doubt where the best players in the world play. 

• Haha 1

My Top 10

1- James Tedesco AUS

2-Joseph Manu NZ

3-Cameron Munster AUS

4-Nathan Cleary AUS

5-Joseph Tapine NZ

6-Latrell Mitchell AUS

7-Isaiah Papali’i NZ

8-Dylan Brown NZ

9-Ben Hunt AUS

10-Jack Welsby ENG

The fact that Jack Welsby is 21 and even in the conversation for the top 10 players on earth is sensational. The kid could be anything.

Edited by SydneyRoosters

5 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

😆

The commentators tonight on the Roos game nailed it. (Am paraphrasing)

"All are playing week in week out in the best competition in the world"

"Making his first appearances for the Kangaroos, but unable to crack the NSW side quite yet"

Neither Jonathan Davies nor the main commentator left us in ANY doubt where the best players in the world play. 

Many of the so called superstars of the game have come over here, bombed, and returned with their tails between their legs. Just because you look good whilst surrounded by other great players does not make you the best player in the world.

To be the best you have to excel in all conditions and competitions, etc. Playing in your smoking jacket whilst surrounded by other great players does not make you great.

Samoa’s stand off proved that last week. He looks fantastic in Penrith’s all conquering team, and looked like a chump against England last week.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Many of the so called superstars of the game have come over here, bombed, and returned with their tails between their legs. Just because you look good whilst surrounded by other great players does not make you the best player in the world.

To be the best you have to excel in all conditions and competitions, etc. Playing in your smoking jacket whilst surrounded by other great players does not make you great.

Samoa’s stand off proved that last week. He looks fantastic in Penrith’s all conquering team, and looked like a chump against England last week.

But can he do it on a cold, rainy night in Stoke ?

Edited by SydneyRoosters

4 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

But can he do it on a cold, rainy night in Stoke ?

Or Coventry, were a level of skill artistry in the pouring rain was witnessed that will be replayed for years. 

• Like 2

Joey Manu is the clear best player for me as he can play almost anywhere and be world class and has arguably the most complete skillset. 

Stepping from full back to stand off last night at a few hours notice and still looking like the classiest on the pitch says it all when neither is even his regular club position.

You could throw another 15-20 names into the mix for the rest of the top 5.

• Like 1

Its all subjective as no one watches every top player every game and different players play different positions. Common sense would say probably 8 out of the 10 best players probably play in the NRL.

In football some people say Messi is the best ever but most of those people never saw Maradona or George Best.

For what its worth i still don't think I would put any player on a team sheet before a 35/36 year old James Roby.

Of other SL players I've yet to see any winger with a better all round game than Makemson and I can't think of a better prop over the past 3 years than Walmsley and I go to Aus every year and watch NRL games and he's as good as any of them.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 01:14, SydneyRoosters said:

The fact that Jack Welsby is 21 and even in the conversation for the top 10 players on earth is sensational. The kid could be anything.

He's in the conversation for top 5 (this thread) so even better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He's in the conversation for top 5 (this thread) so even better.

Before this tournament started, I wouldn't have had Welsby anywhere near top 5, but for some players the higher the standard the better they play, I think Welsby is one of those and by the end of the tournament he could be in just about everyone's top 5

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand