Why can't we discuss Leighs rebrand? (Merged Threads)

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t mind this so much, I actually think the ambition is a good one, but there’s no need for the digs at other clubs, and he’s got form for that.

Aiming for 12,000 average fans is great (if not a little pie in the sky) but the dig at Wigan is just childish and petty especially as he can only dream that is club will be as successful as them.

Unfortunately for him Wigan will always be a bigger draw than Leigh for a broadcaster 

That will depend what he has lined up for 2024, if we stay up the next few years will be interesting at least. 
Having the increased rivalry with Wigan would benefit both clubs

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

That will depend what he has lined up for 2024, if we stay up the next few years will be interesting at least. 
Having the increased rivalry with Wigan would benefit both clubs

I agree increased rivalry between club’s benefits the sport.

He os coming across as though Wigan are living rent free in his head though

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The obsession with Wigan continues. And yes I'll call him crazy:

LEIGH Leopards owner Derek Beaumont believes that Leigh Leopards ‘will look a better prospect’ than Super League rivals Wigan Warriors in a year.

The outspoken Leigh man has been busy in the past few months bankrolling a new rebrand of the Centurions to the Leopards whilst helping head coach Adrian Lam and director of rugby Chris Chester build a squad capable of not just surviving but thriving in Super League in 2023.

Beaumont has had his fair share of critics in the past, with the Leopards also attracting both negative and positive attention following the rebrand, but in a recent fans forum, the owner waxed lyrical about the near and long-term future of his club.

In doing so, Beaumont also gave a bold comparison to his Leigh side and neighbours Wigan, believing that the Leopards could soon overtake them.
“12,000 fans in here will look better to a broadcaster than 12,000 in a 25,000 seater stadium,” Beaumont said.
“So, I’m putting it out there, call me crazy or whatever, but we will look a better prospect in the next 12 or 24 months than Wigan Warriors.”

https://www.totalrl.com/derek-beaumont-believes-leigh-leopards-will-look-a-better-prospect-than-super-league-rivals-wigan-warriors/

Old news that Damien say it over a week ago but TRL have only a day every week to catch up, must say I had a chuckle when I first saw it, in your opinion would it be good for the game if it came to pass?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Old news that Damien say it over a week ago but TRL have only a day every week to catch up, must say I had a chuckle when I first saw it, in your opinion would it be good for the game if it came to pass?

It would be better for the game if they both fulfilled their potential and were both attractive to broadcasters.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t mind this so much, I actually think the ambition is a good one, but there’s no need for the digs at other clubs, and he’s got form for that.

Aiming for 12,000 average fans is great (if not a little pie in the sky) but the dig at Wigan is just childish and petty especially as he can only dream that is club will be as successful as them.

Unfortunately for him Wigan will always be a bigger draw than Leigh for a broadcaster 

Mr Beaumont is that young lad with nothing in his pockets who stood on the terraces at Hilton Park cheering on his heroes, and the club any Leigh fan wants to beat is Wigan there is not a lot of love lost in that direction and it seems that he has never lost it.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mr Beaumont is that young lad with nothing in his pockets who stood on the terraces at Hilton Park cheering on his heroes, and the club any Leigh fan wants to beat is Wigan there is not a lot of love lost in that direction and it seems that he has never lost it.

Sounds a bit like Cas fans with their hatred of Leeds, when Leeds don’t give Cas a second thought really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

LEIGH Leopards owner Derek Beaumont believes that Leigh Leopards ‘will look a better prospect’ than Super League rivals Wigan Warriors in a year.

The outspoken Leigh man has been busy in the past few months bankrolling a new rebrand of the Centurions to the Leopards whilst helping head coach Adrian Lam and director of rugby Chris Chester build a squad capable of not just surviving but thriving in Super League in 2023.

Beaumont has had his fair share of critics in the past, with the Leopards also attracting both negative and positive attention following the rebrand, but in a recent fans forum, the owner waxed lyrical about the near and long-term future of his club.

In doing so, Beaumont also gave a bold comparison to his Leigh side and neighbours Wigan, believing that the Leopards could soon overtake them.
“12,000 fans in here will look better to a broadcaster than 12,000 in a 25,000 seater stadium,” Beaumont said.
“So, I’m putting it out there, call me crazy or whatever, but we will look a better prospect in the next 12 or 24 months than Wigan Warriors.”

https://www.totalrl.com/derek-beaumont-believes-leigh-leopards-will-look-a-better-prospect-than-super-league-rivals-wigan-warriors/

Fair play, they do seem to have got themselves a nice little relationship with this place.

Propganda pieces like this from the likes of Callum Walker and lock down any negative threads. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Good for Leigh Beaumonts showing some ambition. I reckon there’s no way they won’t win until August this time around.

I admire the boldness. The last few promotions have been rather lacklustre affairs where a club limps into SL and then limped back out a year later (or earlier). 

Edited by Dave T

I agree increased rivalry between club’s benefits the sport.

He os coming across as though Wigan are living rent free in his head though

Probably through the suggestion that Leigh offer nothing because of the proximity to Wigan. Though he doesn’t seem to realise that efforts to distance the club from Wigan will be undermined by keep talking about them.

But if he aims for 12k attendances, and falls a few thousand short, it will be a good result for the club. Time will tell if they get anywhere near 

6 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Probably through the suggestion that Leigh offer nothing because of the proximity to Wigan. Though he doesn’t seem to realise that efforts to distance the club from Wigan will be undermined by keep talking about them.

But if he aims for 12k attendances, and falls a few thousand short, it will be a good result for the club. Time will tell if they get anywhere near 

Aiming for 12k is great and to be applauded, its the our 12k will be better than Wigan’s which is a tad childish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Aiming for 12k is great and to be applauded, its the our 12k will be better than Wigan’s which is a tad childish.

A tad, but I do get the point he’s trying to make, when it comes to comparing smaller but full ground with a half empty ground and the effect that has on the atmosphere and how it looks on tv.

But as ever, he’s not very good at getting his point across. 

• Like 3

Sounds a bit like Cas fans with their hatred of Leeds, when Leeds don’t give Cas a second thought really.

It's called rivalry,Fev fans 'hate' cas but we don't play them now so they don't give us a second thought. Fev, Cas and Wakey used to have a good rivalry.

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

A tad, but I do get the point he’s trying to make, when it comes to comparing smaller but full ground with a half empty ground and the effect that has on the atmosphere and how it looks on tv.

But as ever, he’s not very good at getting his point across. 

But Wigan can 25k in their ground, when they play their real rivals, Leigh cant 😉

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It's called rivalry,Fev fans 'hate' cas but we don't play them now so they don't give us a second thought. Fev, Cas and Wakey used to have a good rivalry.

Its an uneven rivalry though isn't it. Noisy neighbours and all that?

To take it to a global scale a bit like how Iran is literally obsessed with Britain and the USA who are of course aware of them but generally don't take it anything like as seriously. This world cup draw was their dream result!

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Leigh averaged 12k it would be great for the game. The more clubs getting big crowds the better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

I suspect there'll be more people calling him crazy than whatever except maybe the "he's rich so we'll kiss his (jaguar's) backside" brigade.

He really should let his players and staff do the talking the right way, on the field.

They seem to have a decent looking squad but no one knows about it because it's all about him isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Damien said:

If Leigh averaged 12k it would be great for the game. 

It would.

A club that was serious about achieving it would have, at least, a functioning website to promote itself to the average 8,000 new people for each match it will need to find to achieve that.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It would.

A club that was serious about achieving it would have, at least, a functioning website to promote itself to the average 8,000 new people for each match it will need to find to achieve that.

You and your pesky small details. It's much easier to make grandiose statements and give soundbites than do the basics.

If Leigh in my opinion manage 1,000 more on the average gate return of 6,500 they posted in '17 that will be very good, of that 6,500 number I would estimate judging by the 'away' ends at each game that year Leigh had an an average of 5,500 'home' fans in attendance, to increase and put on another 1,000 on that is a good increase and more than double the average gate this past season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Leigh in my opinion manage 1,000 more on the average gate return of 6,500 they posted in '17 that will be very good, of that 6,500 number I would estimate judging by the 'away' ends at each game that year Leigh had an an average of 5,500 'home' fans in attendance, to increase and put on another 1,000 on that is a good increase and more than double the average gate this past season.

Dont you come on here and start sounding sensible!

Thats the sort of growth that is achievable and arguably sustainable. Obviously you aim a little higher and then the next year a little higher but to jump to where DB is going seems odd.. Maybe 12k in 5-6 years of sustained Super League presence and success.. 

It all sounds like Michael Knighton when he bought Carlisle UTD 30 odd years ago and said they'd be in the premier league in 20 years (or something equally as mad!)

• Like 2