Ganson stood down

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

Silverwood isn’t shy with his views on social media, sometimes bordering on bitter, but at least he gives his opinion. 

Well Silverwood was no angel thats for sure

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The storm said:

Well Silverwood was no angel thats for sure

"Do you know who I am?" springs to mind.

• Like 2
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Is Ganson maybe  the last practitioner of macho management in the game?  IIRC, some managers have employed that approach during half time motivational sessions.

Sometimes coaches need to read the riot act, but for a lot of them that was their default mode. And only mode, in some cases.

I suspect the whole organisation has had a problem over the years with a macho mentality. Modern workplaces can't be like that, even if the game itself is brutal.

• Like 4

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I have no idea but given you can fly to Mauritius for the cost of a peak time London to Lancashire train ticket, I still wouldn't assume it was more expensive than getting together in Skegness.

The train companies have to charge an extortionate price because only three people want to go there. And two of them are MP's wearing shoes with holes in the soles because they are facing a vote of confidence.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

let's hope this is the start of a clear out at the RFL.

The same people have been in the same positions for years overseeing the decline of the sport, starting at the 'not fit for purpose community board' community level, through to the professional game - absolute shambles from top to bottom

Rimmer surrounded by his sycophants, bereft of ideas and unable to take criticism of any kind which has seen countless volunteers walk away from the community game.

The sport needs to reinvent itself, new people, new ideas, new approach to managing the sport.

Let's hope this is the dawning of a new age for the sport, and Mr Ganson's departure is the first of many in the coming months!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

let's hope this is the start of a clear out at the RFL.

The same people have been in the same positions for years overseeing the decline of the sport, starting at the 'not fit for purpose community board' community level, through to the professional game - absolute shambles from top to bottom

Rimmer surrounded by his sycophants, bereft of ideas and unable to take criticism of any kind which has seen countless volunteers walk away from the community game.

The sport needs to reinvent itself, new people, new ideas, new approach to managing the sport.

Let's hope this is the dawning of a new age for the sport, and Mr Ganson's departure is the first of many in the coming months!

Here's an idea for you, then. Why not set a good example by ditching your stupid "Death to the Rah-rahs" name? Or at least learn about apostrophes.

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

have I touched a nerve? 

"We want an inclusive sport where everyone's ideas are welcomed. Yes, do join me on a forum about the game. What's my username? Well, if you look for the fellow wanting everyone associated with that sport you like to die then that's me ..."

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"We want an inclusive sport where everyone's ideas are welcomed. Yes, do join me on a forum about the game. What's my username? Well, if you look for the fellow wanting everyone associated with that sport you like to die then that's me ..."

Jesus - snowing on here as well as outside eh!

For the record Ginge, it's a username, I don't want anyone to die!

I enjoy a good RU match as much as anyone, especially international RU; both games could and should work together as there's room at the table for both sports to flourish!

In regards to my username, it's a satirical slant, if it causes you offence, then it's easily sorted, you and JohnM (of the grammar police) block my posts, it really is as simple as that !

Just now, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Yes.

That is a very, very good example of the toxic culture that seems to have been tolerated at the RFL.

Exactly the kind of thing that Ganson seems to have so enjoyed.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I remember him touring with a junior team in France and a fight kicked off and he was well into it(can't remember if he actually threw any punches)  and having a right go at the refs, it was in Perpignan against a Catalan select I believe. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I enjoy a good RU match as much as anyone, especially international RU; both games could and should work together as there's room at the table for both sports to flourish!

In regards to my username, it's a satirical slant, if it causes you offence, then it's easily sorted, you and JohnM (of the grammar police) block my posts, it really is as simple as that !

I don't want anyone to die!

So why say you do? 

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Done.

Ganson was not a good referee, whose main feature seemed to be that he gave his decisions with unerring confidence. This made him look good when he got a decision right but was a decidedly negative feature when he got decisions wrong - and he did get some big ones wrong.

I can see why a lack of vulnerability is a good attribute for a referee but Silverwood's comments suggest his outward demeanour is also how he acts internally which is a catastrophic recipe for management.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

This makes for grim reading. The full article goes on to show the comments made by some of these departing referees:

This morning, it was confirmed by the RFL that Head of Match Officials since 2016, Steve Ganson, has been suspended pending investigation.

Under Ganson's tenure, James Child, Ian Smith, Matt Thomason, George Stokes, Sam Ansell, Phil Bentham, Richard Silverwood, Joe Cobb, Chris Campbell, Steve Presley and Mike Burnett have all left the RFL.

Meanwhile, Robert Hicks has stepped down as a full-time referee, moving to a compliance role, Jack Smith stepped down as a full-time referee before returning and Ben Thaler was suspended and later reinstated in mysterious circumstances.

Such a high turnover of staff in a department with relatively few staff should raise cause for concern. Especially when many departing staff have commented on their departures in such damning terms.

https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2023/01/the-toxicity-of-match-officials_15.html?m=1

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

This makes for grim reading. The full article goes on to show the comments made by some of these departing referees:

This morning, it was confirmed by the RFL that Head of Match Officials since 2016, Steve Ganson, has been suspended pending investigation.

Under Ganson's tenure, James Child, Ian Smith, Matt Thomason, George Stokes, Sam Ansell, Phil Bentham, Richard Silverwood, Joe Cobb, Chris Campbell, Steve Presley and Mike Burnett have all left the RFL.

Meanwhile, Robert Hicks has stepped down as a full-time referee, moving to a compliance role, Jack Smith stepped down as a full-time referee before returning and Ben Thaler was suspended and later reinstated in mysterious circumstances.

Such a high turnover of staff in a department with relatively few staff should raise cause for concern. Especially when many departing staff have commented on their departures in such damning terms.

https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2023/01/the-toxicity-of-match-officials_15.html?m=1

As these tales unfold, this story is taking on the proportions of a scandal.

On 16/01/2023 at 11:51, Just Browny said:

Ganson was not a good referee, whose main feature seemed to be that he gave his decisions with unerring confidence. This made him look good when he got a decision right but was a decidedly negative feature when he got decisions wrong - and he did get some big ones wrong.

I can see why a lack of vulnerability is a good attribute for a referee but Silverwood's comments suggest his outward demeanour is also how he acts internally which is a catastrophic recipe for management.

Ganson wasn’t a popular referee amongst his peers and the non referee match officials had an even lower opinion of him mainly due to him always blaming someone else if there was an error or mistake in one of his games.

He should never have been allowed anywhere near a management position and that’s said without any hindsight 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...