Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

at one point I was wondering if I would ever get to see Eng beat Aus again in my lifetime - now I am worried I will never get to see them even play them again! - before long there will be a full generation of players that have never faced each other that should have done 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, fcl said:

it is not the fault of the French politicians but the economic model which was totally unrealistic.
The treizist cities cannot afford to pay €200,000. how do you expect us to find 40 small towns with no treizist culture that will pay?

I just don't understand why so much was needed? Why did they try to be so ambitious? Even if this meant less Government funding asking local councils for 50k or 100k is a much easier sell. Again this is following RLWC2021 and trying to do too much when that World Cup was not, and should not, be the norm. 

Surely funding to this extent was never needed to wet the tournaments head. We have had profitable tournaments on a fraction of the funding RLWC2021 got.

• Like 2

I felt it was curtains when pretty strong league towns couldn't raise the 200,000 figure. There is an element of bad fortune with all that is going on in France politically, but the economic model underpinning 2025 was unrealistic and undeliverable.

Expecting France to host Men's, Ladies' and Disability World Cups seemed pie in the sky.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Good lad, Troy... no point in rushing these things!

It's not as if there is a crisis situation....

Do you think any country is going to organise a world cup ready for sign-off at a meeting next week?

I suppose that American bloke might manage to whip up a logo.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Double post

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

This comment from my southerner Arsenal fan former colleague who came to the Emirates for the World Cup and who was planning to go to France for the World Cup.

"What a pity though. RL must be able to roll out a regular World Cup to gain any traction. Otherwise it will forever look enviously towards the IRB who seemingly have no trouble awarding a World Cup years in advance and seeing it through. 2023 is ironically being held in France and 2027 in Australia. 🙄"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

at one point I was wondering if I would ever get to see Eng beat Aus again in my lifetime - now I am worried I will never get to see them even play them again! - before long there will be a full generation of players that have never faced each other that should have done 

England should now be on the phone to SH looking at a 2024 tour down under, as there is no chance we will get Aus or NZ coming North now no 2025 WC.

4 games Samoa, NZ, PNG and Aus should be plan. No Tonga as we playing them this year

Edited by crashmon

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I just don't understand why so much was needed? Why did they try to be so ambitious? Even if this meant less Government funding asking local councils for 50k or 100k is a much easier sell. Again this is following RLWC2021 and trying to do too much when that World Cup was not, and should not, be the norm. 

Surely funding to this extent was never needed to wet the tournaments head. We have had profitable tournaments on a fraction of the funding RLWC2021 got.

In my opinion even if it had only broke even it would have still been a positive for the game there, and would have made more people in France aware of our game, and that could have only been a good thing

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, crashmon said:

England should now be on the phone to SH looking at a 2024 tour down under, as there is no chance we will get Aus or NZ coming North now no 2025 WC.

4 games Samoa, NZ, PNG and Aus should be plan. No Tonga as we playing them this year

Before demanding games against Australia and New Zealand, shouldn’t they be more bothered about fixing their reputation after a humbling by Samoa?

• Like 3

Just now, Jughead said:

Before demanding games against Australia and New Zealand, shouldn’t they be more bothered about fixing their reputation after a humbling by Samoa?

Absolutely mate. As we can see from here though, the fans were anything but humbled.

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I did not say they should demand games vs Aus and NZ....

I said they should pick uip the phone and talk to the SH, as there is no chance of any SH team coimg up in 2024 as no WC in 2025.  If England want any games vs decent opposition they are going to need to go down to the SH.

There is more chance of England managing to convince Aus to play them in Aus, then there is of AUS coming up to the NH. Hence to get on the phone now, and try to convince the SH that its worth playing England next year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crashmon said:

I did not say they should demand games vs Aus and NZ....

I said they should pick uip the phone and talk to the SH, as there is no chance of any SH team coimg up in 2024 as no WC in 2025.  If England want any games vs decent opposition they are going to need to go down to the SH.

There is more chance of England managing to convince Aus to play them in Aus, then there is of AUS coming up to the NH. Hence to get on the phone now, and try to convince the SH that its worth playing England next year

Bit like how no one was coming in 2023 because of the Four Nations? A bit like that?

When delivering poor tournaments, it’s little wonder competent governing bodies would want to risk a loss making trip to England in the depths of winter. 

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yes, there will be a bit of back slapping and celebrations in certain circles in France tonight..... one thing is for sure the RU WC was never in any danger.

I am not a fan of that sport, I don't even watch it, but I doubt it will be anything other than a financial success there would absolutely be no risk financially in backing the RUWC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Bit like how no one was coming in 2023 because of the Four Nations? A bit like that?

When delivering poor tournaments, it’s little wonder competent governing bodies would want to risk a loss making trip to England    M62 Corridor in the depths of winter. 

Fixed it for you

• Haha 1

Could I bring up the 'Old Chestnut' of a French TV deal for Rugby League, do we know if they actually got on board with the '25 RLWC did they put up the Euro's that would have been requested, obviously they would have had the selling rights to Britain, Aus and where ever wanted to screen it, but did they deem whether or not it was worth it to them?

15 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Fixed it for you

But they’re not coming so why word Newcastle or London matter? Relying heavily on an expensive stadium in London not making things as bad a loss making scheme is laughable. 

This was Australia's World Cup.  They tried to pie it off on the US & Canada and then France.  As the biggest and richest NGB, they need to step up and stop shirking responsibility.

• Like 2