Signing

homeandawayer

Was everybody in bed when it was announced? No comments so far, what do we think? 

I've only seen him on the odd occasion since he left, he's always in demand at championship level so even if it's only for this year he's the sort of player you need part way through as a pack leader. Local and proven, if we can afford it it's a no brainer. 

• Like 1

Not my first choice of a signing to be honest, hope he's come cheap! 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

We were all gutted to see him leave for Newcastle years ago. Can't say I've watched alot of him since. But if we get the player back he was, I'm chuffed. 

It does bode the question where he will play or who will miss out? We have Thomson, Scholey, Kirkup, Jj, Reid, Terril, Charlo already

• Like 1

Not sure why people aren’t too chuffed, Liam’s as solid as a rock in defence and a great engine for a forward. He was all set to come back when we got promoted until haven deadline to decide if he was designing for them before we played the playoff final so you can’t knock him for wanting to guarantee he was staying in the championship. Plus next year you’d think the likes of forber and mossop will retire so we need some experience if we can persuade him to buy into the project 

Edited by wonky
  • Like 2

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

A quality player is always welcome surely, players make their own decisions for many reasons so I`m not sure why we would hold a grudge against him.

As expected though some jameaters are turning on him calling him out, maybe look a little closer to home to see why players are wanting to leave a club that constantly doesnt pay staff while also signing new players, who they do pay.

Was no different when players made a decision to leave us when their wages were cut, I dont think many begrudged them going to Whitehaven and understood their reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dkw said:

As expected though some jameaters are turning on him calling him out

One person on the Haven site that's it..... I for one am gutted to see him leave, was always a hard worker who done his job, think it's a great signing for town IMO. Your forwards seem to be going well this year so not sure who he'll replace, probably Charlton who hasn't played as much as the others.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

As expected though some jameaters are turning on him calling him out, maybe look a little closer to home to see why players are wanting to leave a club that constantly doesnt pay staff while also signing new players, who they do pay.

Was no different when players made a decision to leave us when their wages were cut, I dont think many begrudged them going to Whitehaven and understood their reasons.

No that’s totally different … well like because it just is when it’s that way round 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2023 at 09:29, anok4u said:

Not my first choice of a signing to be honest, hope he's come cheap! 

Knowing Mr Murdock it will have been a good deal for the club. 

• Like 1

As long as we can afford him and he is committed dont see a problem, just seems the way now though when players jump backwards and forwards between the clubs.

Funny though that the haven fans are apparently saying that town pay more in wages than they do

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Route66 said:

As long as we can afford him and he is committed dont see a problem, just seems the way now though when players jump backwards and forwards between the clubs.

Funny though that the haven fans are apparently saying that town pay more in wages than they do

Well they would wouldn’t they, it’s called delusion. 🙄

• Like 1

Maybe what they meant to write was Town pay their wages.

Unlike Haven who seem to do this on a Merry Go round we took the difficult decision to ask the players to take a pay cut to ensure the Club saw the season out and players at least got some wages.To their credit most agreed to this which was admirable and to me showed a we are in this together mentality while others left which was also understandable.

I know which Business plan I prefer and as our season up in the Championship showed the gulf between the have and have nots is getting larger and to be able to compete up their you need very solid structures in place.

I do believe that we have a hard working board and group of volunteers who are putting in a lot of hours to ensure those solid foundations are in place as running the club successfully is about more than just putting a team on the Pitch with a  Poop or Bust mentality but looking at it longer term and making it a family day out rather than just a 80 minute game.

Pulling in crowds of over 1000 with little or no away support while we are in a development period shows they are getting something right and we seem to have unearthed a couple of real potential gems on the playing front who will only get better and we also need to get Sabuety signed on a longer contract if at all possible.

Edited by Cumberland Sausage
  • Like 8

I think they'll have learned a lot from last year, and that shows. Allowing the coach too much reign on signings and the deals and going with a small pack were howlers. I really don't know how you sustain a championship side on low gates, lack of access to quality overseas players and constantly losing your best players but everything i see on and off the pitch is positive and heading in the right direction. Hopefully we'll be in a better position to have another go at getting there next year.  I'm not expecting to win many of our remaining games but i'd be disappointed if we lost all against the top four.

• Like 2