Fri 18th Aug: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Castleford Tigers KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/23 at 19:30

not content with clashing a rhinos match with a leeds utd home game SKY  have now decided to sceen leeds utd (who a lot of wakey,cas and casual rl fans will follow) home game with west brom at exactly the same time as this highly anticipated crunch game  - bizarre - you couldn't make this stuff up 

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

not content with clashing a rhinos match with a leeds utd home game SKY  have now decided to sceen leeds utd (who a lot of wakey,cas and casual rl fans will follow) home game with west brom at exactly the same time as this highly anticipated crunch game  - bizarre - you couldn't make this stuff up 

Some footy fans might not care to watch Leeds they'll choose something else......like Harry Kane's debut for Bayern also at the same time.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

the game is massive - it should be getting promoted all over sky and anywhere else possible - as usual its just treated as a channel filler - we will never get anywhere like this 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Some footy fans might not care to watch Leeds they'll choose something else......like Harry Kane's debut for Bayern also at the same time.

I would not watch either of those games if they were played in my back garden, it is what it is, if the preference for some is nancyball then go ahead and watch that otherwise watch a proper game.

PS Harry Kane, is he the one who keeps rolling about on the floor if someone gives him a nasty look.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the game is massive - it should be getting promoted all over sky and anywhere else possible - as usual its just treated as a channel filler - we will never get anywhere like this 

Is it that massive johnny?

What about all those who want to get rid of P&R, surely they will have no interest in this game, unless they are two faced so 'n so's.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would not watch either of those games if they were played in my back garden, it is what it is, if the preference for some is nancyball then go ahead and watch that otherwise watch a proper game.

*PS Harry Kane, is he the one who keeps rolling about on the floor if someone gives him a nasty look.

I'm sure you would watch it if it's in your back garden,  if only to make sure no rolling about nancyball player crushes your chrysanthemums.

*no, that's Richarlison

Edited by HawkMan
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Any up date on the stadium works at Trinity? 

Havnt seen anything recently regarding progress, just wondered how its going? 

Without getting away from Friday's game too much...going well, but slightly behind I believe. Nowt to do with money - the contractor can't get enough workers to keep pace with the internal works (earlier in the year there were issues getting materials). No seats will be in for this season, but the function rooms are open for business from some time in October - several events already in - player's end of year dinner, a fan's dinner event, Christmas do's etc...

To bring it back to Friday - it'll look decent on TV, but empty and the building work has reduced capacity. "Low" crowd, but a sell-out nonetheless.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, dboy said:

Without getting away from Friday's game too much...going well, but slightly behind I believe. Nowt to do with money - the contractor can't get enough workers to keep pace with the internal works (earlier in the year there were issues getting materials). No seats will be in for this season, but the function rooms are open for business from some time in October - several events already in - player's end of year dinner, a fan's dinner event, Christmas do's etc...

To bring it back to Friday - it'll look decent on TV, but empty and the building work has reduced capacity. "Low" crowd, but a sell-out nonetheless.

whats the capacity at smell view at the minute?

Historically Wakefield typically lose this type of game as it isn't near enough to the end of the season to be a must win. 

Cas look a decent bet @ 13/10 for the win or 10/1 for win by 10-15 points.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

PS Harry Kane, is he the one who keeps rolling about on the floor if someone gives him a nasty look.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What about all those who want to get rid of P&R, surely they will have no interest in this game, unless they are two faced so 'n so's.

I wholly agree with your first post, Harry.  I tried watching a bit of PL soccer the other day - needless, tippy-tappy, back-passing nonsense most of the time augmented by moments of faux melodrama ("Ref, he breathed over me!")  I soon switched it off.

I wholly disagree with your second point.  Professional sportsmen should always try; it's what they are paid to do and, happily, I think that most will make the requisite effort, whether or not anything beyond merely trying to win that game is immediately relevant.  That said, a local derby always has local bragging rights implications too.  So, although I am not a fan of P&R - a foreign concept for a significant proportion of the NRFU/RFL era (including when I first became attracted to the game) - I look forward to Friday night's Sky TV offering...and no, I don't think I am a 'two faced so 'n so', though I thoroughly respect your right to think I am.

Actually, on reflection, you are probably right; I am a 'two faced so 'n so'.  When I began following the sport in person (1963, I think), there was only one division.  I am sure I must have gone to some games with no consequences for the end of season play-offs...AND ENJOYED THEM!  I feel awful just thinking of that.  Please forgive me for thinking that a match can be enjoyed in its own right, irrespective of whether it has greater consequences.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I fancy Wakefield. Castleford have just been awful while Wakefield have had some improvement. As for the game itself I'm thinking it will be a game that if it was between two midtable teams everyone will slate it as awful and boring but will be praised as tense and gripping.

Of course it will Rover, they both have something to play for - survival - and there could be more games like this as the season comes to a close.

I suggest everyone savours this and any other games that have jeopardy attached, very soon they will be a thing of the past then we can get down to many encounters with your descriptive "awful and boring" when there is nothing to play for.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, dboy said:

Nowt to do with money - the contractor can't get enough workers to keep pace with the internal works

Or to put it another way...won't pay enough to get enough workers to keep pace with the internal works

I just can't see Cas winning this one. Wakefield by 12

I see this as a game Cas can't afford to lose, they are in a big downward spiral where as I think Wakefield despite looking incapable of winning a game earlier in the season could now lose this game and still pick up a couple more wins before the end of the season. Cas don't look capable of that.

Id rather Wakey come down, nothing against them its just I expect that they wouldn't dominate in the championship the same way that Cas would but whichever does lose their place its going to be so close to see if they get it back if Fev or Toulouse go up. Its literally the worst season in years to get relegated.

• Like 3

From the remaining fixtures I can't see either side picking up another win after Friday, so this game is massive.

I think Wakefield will win by a couple of scores, and Cas will come down to the Championship. I honestly don't know what happens to them going forward after that, I think it will be a struggle for them to get back to the top flight if I'm honest.