Newcastle Thunder

• 2 weeks later...

A change of ownership, too.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 9

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Phil W said:

Just confirmed by The RFL, we've been accepted for 2024, great news!

Fantastic news, really pleased for all the fans, players and coaches. Will see you next season home and away hopefully. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Any details on who the new owners are?

I'm getting the impression that Mick Hogan is behind it or helped to facilitate it. 

Basically as I understand it Keith Christie and Jordan Robinson will be shareholders. Fans will be paying a monthly membership or pay for a season ticket which will bring in a budget. Other income is coming from sponsorship. We will be living within our means.

We're being realistic here and know this season is going to be tough but it's more about keeping rugby league alive in the north east. As things stand we have a ground, a Head Coach in Chris Thorman and some volunteers who have got us to this point. There's a lot of work to be done now. 

If anyone's in the Newcastle area for any reason come and take in a game at Kingston Park, you'll be made welcome.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Basically as I understand it Keith Christie and Jordan Robinson will be shareholders. Fans will be paying a monthly membership or pay for a season ticket which will bring in a budget. Other income is coming from sponsorship. We will be living within our means.

We're being realistic here and know this season is going to be tough but it's more about keeping rugby league alive in the north east. As things stand we have a ground, a Head Coach in Chris Thorman and some volunteers who have got us to this point. There's a lot of work to be done now. 

If anyone's in the Newcastle area for any reason come and take in a game at Kingston Park, you'll be made welcome.

Well, there is a feel good factor at Wakey at the moment so I am sure we will bring up a good following for your first home game in The 1895 cup. Let's up its a good start financially for your season.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Well, there is a feel good factor at Wakey at the moment so I am sure we will bring up a good following for your first home game in The 1895 cup. Let's up its a good start financially for your season.

Second home game - Group 3 fixtures are:

28th Jan - Newcastle v York

4th Feb - York v Wakefield

11th Feb - Newcastle v Wakefield

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What type of team will Newcastle have this year? Are any players signed/retained from last season?

From what I understand it'll be a young squad made up of students from Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham. There was talk of a possible open trial. We could see some of last year's locally based players back potentially but to be honest it's all a bit of guess work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 27/12/2023 at 12:12, Phil W said:

From what I understand it'll be a young squad made up of students from Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham. There was talk of a possible open trial. We could see some of last year's locally based players back potentially but to be honest it's all a bit of guess work!

Might dust off my old white boots.

On 24/12/2023 at 02:29, Anita Bath said:

Glad for the good rugby league people of Newcastle, but it does further highlight the mess associated with Cornwall being excluded from 1895.

Maybe clubs prefer a two hour journey each way to a six hour one?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

great news! They also have a better chance of being in SL than London next year so all to play for/install floodlights for. Good luck to them, would have been a massive shame to lose all the work that's gone on up there over the years.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe clubs prefer a two hour journey each way to a six hour one?

The history of rugby league backs up that, when push comes to shove, the heartlands will always vote to expel anyone more than 120 minutes away.

And I do wish I was joking there.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 01/01/2024 at 07:41, gingerjon said:

The history of rugby league backs up that, when push comes to shove, the heartlands will always vote to expel anyone more than 120 minutes away.

And I do wish I was joking there.

Unfortunately, Cornwall is very expensive for clubs to visit - not quite as costly as Toulouse but still a lot of money. C1 and Championship clubs are really struggling this year and, "heartlands" or not will always look to their own self-interest when they actually fear for their own survival.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.