Televised games next season - has it been sorted yet?

Yorky

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Not sure he’s been replaced, sky will need 3x commentary teams for when they are showing 3 games at once

Sure but Dave Woods won’t be leaving the BBC to play second fiddle to Bill Arthur. He’s the main man now.

Sky have desperately needed a new lead commentator.

Woods and Wilson are good signings. Personally I often find Wilson's frenetic, excited commentary adds a vibrancy to coverage - although he could tone down stock phrases like ''the ball is being moved wide'', etc.

Looking at the opening weekend is a good demonstration of why I am excited by the new format of this tv deal.

I'm not interested in an 6 matches, and would no way look to watch them all, however I will absolutely watch:

Thursday - Hull derby - always a good watch. 

Saturday - Cas v Wigan should be good, with a good atmosphere. Followed by watching my team play Catalans.

So on the Friday we have three matches that don't grip me on the surface. Sky have selected Leeds v Salford as their main game, ordinarily, I probably would give this one a miss if I have other things to do. However, now we have three live matches that I can keep an eye on, moving between matches based on what's happening in them (probably with the Leigh match as the main focus) - that appeals to me.

I really like the idea of the Friday night being the multi-match night - I know this isn;t the long term plan (on the actual TV) and hopefully it will be easy enough to move between online matches and TV matches.

• Like 1

Slight change of emphasis.  Up to now, the debate seems to be about how we, the hardened persuaded fans, are affected by the scheduling, commentating teams etc.  

Isn't it worth reflecting on how the new arrangments may - or may not - attarct new viewers and lapsed viewers?

• Like 2

I think Jenna will host the odd match. In practice, 4 of the matches will be like old days- 5 min intro, half time and 5 min.post match. I can hear the grumbles already! 

Comms wise I'd expect Woods to be new number 1. Likely to cover 2 games most weeks. 

Wilson and Pyke I'd expect to cover 1-2 matches each on average but Pyke in particular has other commitments. 

Unsure if Bill Arthur remains- but if he does he might do 1 match a week like he's averaged over past two years. 

So that leaves the odd game for Dainton (possibly ben proe if he's still at Sky- I think he used to produce mainly) 

Woods and Wilson may also cover EFL football for Sky next year- with Sky showing over 1,000 live games 

Edited by Rugbyleaguesupporter

On 14/01/2024 at 16:19, sam4731 said:

Where are you getting the idea that Action is a film channel? It's not, it's a sport channel.

Help an old man out then . When I look on SKY channels Channel 307 Is SKY Action HD in the Movie Section. When I look under Sports there is no SKY action so is this SKY NFL being renamed post NFL season ? 

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

57 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Help an old man out then . When I look on SKY channels Channel 307 Is SKY Action HD in the Movie Section. When I look under Sports there is no SKY action so is this SKY NFL being renamed post NFL season ? 

Yes - Sky NFL is known as Sky Sports Action for much of the Year.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Every now and then they will rename action as whatever big sporting event they are currently showing. (NFL, Darts). They do a similar thing to other channels sometimes. SS Golf will become SS The Open, SS Cricket will become SS The Ashes.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 12:13, RigbyLuger said:

Whenever you schedule a game, someone is going to moan because they feel everything should be on where and when suits them.

I have to say that I had a quiet smile at the notion that all games should be televised at different times when many are bemoaning that all games should kick off at 3 pm on Sundays.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 hours ago, Griff said:

I have to say that I had a quiet smile at the notion that all games should be televised at different times when many are bemoaning that all games should kick off at 3 pm on Sundays.

Who's the many bemoaning that all games should kick off at 3pm on Sundays?

Not sure I've seen anyone say that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Who's the many bemoaning that all games should kick off at 3pm on Sundays?

Not sure I've seen anyone say that.

I think that’s a more lower league thing. My personal belief is that SL games should be spread all over the weekend to maximise exposure of the elite of the game, but lower leagues should have more fixed scheduling. Community 3pm Saturday and Semi Pro 3pm Sunday.  A live game on TV scheduled before or after a community game can be a financial boost for those clubs and keeps people engaged in the community.   That’s just me and know there’s other options out there

• Like 8

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think this all makes perfect sense. Superleague+ is an alternative way for people who don't want to pay for the full Sky package to see rugby league. In this day and age of people subscribing to several different cheaper streaming platforms, over a single pay TV provider, it is a good approach. Of course, it makes sense for Sky to maintain the power to choose 2 games each week that they have exclusive live coverage rights for - I guess that's what they're paying their 25 million for.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts SL coverage in Australia, on Kayo. Will we get the 2 Sky games, or all 6? And will Superleague+ be available internationally (surely it will be - this is where they could attract a few subscribers)? If Kayo only carries 2 games and Superleague+ is available here, I might sign up myself... more as a show of support than anything else. I doubt I'll ever want to watch 6 superleague games a week, in addition to all of the NRL I watch!

• Like 2

So....

You know on a TV game how a decision happens and then the game thread blows up for about 20 pages with every minute detail being discussed. 

Well...

How are we going to manage that across multiple live games.  Will take a lot of coordination. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

No Stuart Pyke this season, another improvement in my view.

Shock horor, they've deleted it. Was it the ever reliable Callum Walker?

Edited by philipw