Zak Hardaker

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

FFS I was parodying Graveyard Johnny's response.

Hardaker is a grade A person who I hold in very low esteem, he reminds us at least once per season.

Fair enough, you can never quite tell on this forum at times!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

They are some of the facts, but not necessarily the full story. While he’s clearly in the wrong regardless, we don’t know the extent of the crime. If he’s had a skinful and jumped straight into the car then I’d expect Leigh to discipline, maybe even sack him. If he’s driven the day after, before enough booze left his system then I could understand if the stance is to let the legal punishment be sufficient. I’d trust Chester and Lam to make the correct call.

The statement from Leigh is poor though, probably concentrating too much on the rumours circulating that they wanted rid of him. You can condemn someone without forcing him out. 

Extent of the crime?

He's been convicted of drink driving - again!

What more extent could there be?

14 minutes ago, meast said:

I don't feel sorry for the guy and I've no doubt some Leigh fans and bleeding hearts won't like this but any other sport or walk of life he would have been sacked and made a pariah.

How this fella keeps his job with his history is unbelievable.

Absolute grade A plank!

Is there any evidence of mental health issues with him? 

He seems intent on self destruct 

Such a talent on the field it's a shame no coach has been able to get hold of this side of him 

31 minutes ago, meast said:

I don't feel sorry for the guy and I've no doubt some Leigh fans and bleeding hearts won't like this but any other sport or walk of life he would have been sacked and made a pariah.

How this fella keeps his job with his history is unbelievable.

Absolute grade A plank!

There will be another story about his redemption from this in the RL press soon enough. "Zak's Back Again!"

4 hours ago, dkw said:

The leigh Facebook page is quite something, amazing how many excuses are being made for this imbecile. 

Unfortunately that’s what occurred on the Cas Forum website after his failed drug test and ban was announced in the week leading up to 2017 GF.

Sadly I think Zak fits in a similar category to Hock (although he’s more talented). Everytime he’s on to something good he’ll press the self destruct button. 

in a post Terry Newton world clubs do have a duty of care to their players to help them right theirselves, because let’s face it they knew who they were signing from the get go. 

while I know from incidents in the company I work for, had it been me, I’d have been let go from my job. With Leigh, though I don’t know their squad, they probably don’t have the depth to get rid of him. Talent doesn’t excuse crimes and we’ve seen it time and time again where a player gets sacked for off the field incidents then get picked up by a lower profile club. In this instance that’s clearly not happening, but I think at the very least I’d like to see him being given some community works in his role as a punishment.

Stuff like this would see you sacked in the real world, but in RL it just gets swept under the carpet, there needs to be some sort of integrity unit at the RFL and players should be under no illusions that any criminal offence and you might get banned from the game. 

All well and good trying to make stars of players in the new IMG world but there’s always one clown trying to undo any good work. Look at Westerman last year, absolute laughing stock on the eve of the season, now Hardaker has done his usual. 

The lads obviously got his issues and it’s only a matter of time before someone else pays for his stupidity. Again. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

8 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Stuff like this would see you sacked in the real world, but in RL it just gets swept under the carpet, there needs to be some sort of integrity unit at the RFL and players should be under no illusions that any criminal offence and you might get banned from the game. 

All well and good trying to make stars of players in the new IMG world but there’s always one clown trying to undo any good work. Look at Westerman last year, absolute laughing stock on the eve of the season, now Hardaker has done his usual. 

The lads obviously got his issues and it’s only a matter of time before someone else pays for his stupidity. Again. 

Have there been incidents of drink driving in the NRL since they introduced their integrity unit? (Doubt anyone has been caught twice mind). It would be interesting to know how they’d handle a case in comparison to what goes on here (which is basically nothing as you say). 

I am no fan of Hardaker, The guy has obviously got some serious issues, it isn’t normal behaviour to continue behaving as he does. However would sacking him and abandoning him do anyone any good? He should be stood down from the playing roster and be given the help and support he obviously needs, as has been said , they knew what they were signing so there is a duty of care . It is very sad that a talented individual ends up like this, we have seen it time and again in all manner of sports, not just Rugby League, 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

I am no fan of Hardaker, The guy has obviously got some serious issues, it isn’t normal behaviour to continue behaving as he does. However would sacking him and abandoning him do anyone any good? He should be stood down from the playing roster and be given the help and support he obviously needs, as has been said , they knew what they were signing so there is a duty of care . It is very sad that a talented individual ends up like this, we have seen it time and again in all manner of sports, not just Rugby League, 

I actually do think they have a duty of care to help him, i don't think  not punishing it is helping him though, he should be stood down and have to do some community work for the club, he seems to go through destructive cycles, and im not sure how he can break that.

The thing with this kind of offence is that he’s lucky he has injured someone else or worse.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Maybe it would actually as a warning to others - clubs, owners, coaches, players and fans - that the sport will not tolerate such behaviour. Not sure the "Duty of care" defence, as such, is valid, though. Maybe the qualified legal eagles on here could advise on the Wikipedia entry.

Gazza analogue? Are Hardacre's friends complicit?

40 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

While I completely agree that players need support, and especially on this type of occasion, at which point do we have to say enough is enough and that actually maybe its being part of the sport that is the issue?

The pressures are different, the adulation is different maybe he just cannot handle/process that properly and actually not being a part of it would be better for him.

I dont think we should just abandon people at all, and thats not what I am saying, but at which point do we need to look at saying to someone that the environment of professional sport just isnt right for them. You can help them early on and try and help them cope but at some point surely you have to say "this just isnt for you".. and I think thats the case in many jobs, sometimes no matter how much you are helped the job/company just isnt for you and that isnt the fault of anyone.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

would sacking him and abandoning him do anyone any good? He should be stood down from the playing roster and be given the help and support he obviously needs

From my experience, letting repeat offenders think they are somehow a victim, doesn’t bring out the required motivation for change.   There should be a filter in a person’s decision making process that says ‘this is wrong’ rather than ‘it’s not my fault I choose this way’.    For a more serious example, think of the recent Scottish trend to rename paedophiles as ‘young addicted’.  The perpetrator is not the victim.   It should be about taking ownership and responsibility.

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

He`s had several chances, he`s been given all the opportunities and "duty of care" assistance available from several clubs, yet all he does is throw it back in their faces, at the worst times possible. He himself has to accept responsibility for his actions, over and over again. 

• Like 3

Mental health isn't just talking to your mates. Mental health is also someone acting like a complete wotnot over and over again.

Now, some people are just procks. And some people act like procks because they do have issues.

Regards, duty of care. You can punish someone, even to the extent of terminating their contract, and still show a duty of care in how you do it.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Mental health isn't just talking to your mates. Mental health is also someone acting like a complete wotnot over and over again.

Now, some people are just procks. And some people act like procks because they do have issues.

Regards, duty of care. You can punish someone, even to the extent of terminating their contract, and still show a duty of care in how you do it.

There is also the balance to the duty of care to the other people you "look after" ie the rest of the squad/team etc.. at which point does his behaviour cause serious "duty of care" issues for the other people you employ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

Sadly I think Zak fits in a similar category to Hock (although he’s more talented). Everytime he’s on to something good he’ll press the self destruct button. 

in a post Terry Newton world clubs do have a duty of care to their players to help them right theirselves, because let’s face it they knew who they were signing from the get go. 

while I know from incidents in the company I work for, had it been me, I’d have been let go from my job. With Leigh, though I don’t know their squad, they probably don’t have the depth to get rid of him. Talent doesn’t excuse crimes and we’ve seen it time and time again where a player gets sacked for off the field incidents then get picked up by a lower profile club. In this instance that’s clearly not happening, but I think at the very least I’d like to see him being given some community works in his role as a punishment.

Exactly this. Was thinking of writing similar before I saw your comment.

Some folk are just broken in respect of the bits that make them repeat offend. 

In the work I do, I often have clients saying “why me”. It’s usually because they’re making the wrong decisions. The old adage “write your own luck” is about making the right ones. 

The last think he needs at this point is a continual kicking whilst he’s down again, that being said something needs to be done as regards a suitable plan to show that his actions are nothing to look up to! 

• Like 1

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

9 hours ago, meast said:

Extent of the crime?

He's been convicted of drink driving - again!

What more extent could there be?

I meant that there can be different circumstances around a drink driving conviction, while still wrong, it could be an honest mistake. Have you, or anyone you know ever driven the following day after a booze up without being able to tell for certain that you’re back below the limit?

Since I posted that, more info emerged about the events leading up to the charge, which show him to be an idiot. An idiot with issues but an idiot nonetheless 

• Like 1

There is a long list of high profile soccer players done for DD who play the following week. There is a smaller list of soccer players going to jail then playing on release. There are a number of sports stars who get banned get little support and take their own life’s. Zak has been brilliant for Leigh and especially its fans, and as this had been known about for weeks the hierarchy will have debated its actions probably with the senior player group - Zak seems to be a key part of the group, albeit a very stupid but lucky one