What is the worst game you've ever been to?

5 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

26th Feb, 1995.  Challenge Cup.

Workington 94  Leigh 4

4 Hours to get there, 14 hours to get home, but a lovely pub to break down in front of on the A595.

We did score the best try of the match though and i don't remember getting home !!! 🙂    Not all bad !!

Brilliant match . Great side in that era . Unfortunately we drew Leeds in the quarter final and lost by 50 

Someone's already mentioned the England v New Zealand game at the Olympic/London Stadium. God, that was ... the last time I took anyone new to a game. And all wrapped around with the worst matchday 'entertainment' possible. In my entirely humble opinion, the fact that England can't even get any fixtures confirmed can probably be traced to the attitude and delivery of that day.

Otherwise, London Broncos 12-10 Hull Sharks lingers as being just awful but there was a game against Huddersfield a few years later where I remember an ironic round of applause because two consecutive passes were held. That match could easily have had more knock ons than spectators.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Easy for me. Losing 71-10 yo Wigan in the challenge cup semi final at Burnden Park. Early 90s. As a 14 year old ish, seeing Wembley and I'd been once to watch Halifax in 88, a potential Cup Final with my team was a possibility. Enthusiastic David Hobbs beforehand said "We'll have em!"

Alas not and tbh not just because of the result I thought Burnden Park was a poor stadium. I'd have been 6ft and I struggled to see.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

7 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Easy for me. Losing 71-10 yo Wigan in the challenge cup semi final at Burnden Park. Early 90s. As a 14 year old ish, seeing Wembley and I'd been once to watch Halifax in 88, a potential Cup Final with my team was a possibility. Enthusiastic David Hobbs beforehand said "We'll have em!"

Alas not and tbh not just because of the result I thought Burnden Park was a poor stadium. I'd have been 6ft and I struggled to see.

The seats were even worse no chance of being comfortable for anyone of average height

Coventry Bears played 3 away ganes at Oldham's Whitebanks Stadium in the space of maybe 4 weeks. League 1, Challenge Cup, that other competition that preceded the 1895. They were all played in torrential rain and the whole ground looked like the Somme. 

Needless to say we got spanked each and every time. Not looking it up but would have been about 10 years ago,

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Someone's already mentioned the England v New Zealand game at the Olympic/London Stadium. God, that was ... the last time I took anyone new to a game. And all wrapped around with the worst matchday 'entertainment' possible. In my entirely humble opinion, the fact that England can't even get any fixtures confirmed can probably be traced to the attitude and delivery of that day.

Otherwise, London Broncos 12-10 Hull Sharks lingers as being just awful but there was a game against Huddersfield a few years later where I remember an ironic round of applause because two consecutive passes were held. That match could easily have had more knock ons than spectators.

England v New Zealand was a terrible match we took 50 clients (500) the following year v Australia only half wanted to come:(

Not sure how to answer this.  The aforementioned 2004 Tri nation final vs Australia when we were 38 nil down at half time is my most disappointing match ever but you could hardly call it 'worst' when players like Darren Lockyer were showing off their skills.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Coventry Bears played 3 away ganes at Oldham's Whitebanks Stadium in the space of maybe 4 weeks. League 1, Challenge Cup, that other competition that preceded the 1895. They were all played in torrential rain and the whole ground looked like the Somme. 

Needless to say we got spanked each and every time. Not looking it up but would have been about 10 years ago,

You dont know torrential rain unless you saw games at Watersheddings. What you experienced was spitting. Ernest Shackleton prepped for the Antarctic at Watersheddings.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure how to answer this.  The aforementioned 2004 Tri nation final vs Australia when we were 38 nil down at half time is my most disappointing match ever but you could hardly call it 'worst' when players like Darren Lockyer were showing off their skills.

Yeah, I think that's why one-sided matches, as poor as they can be as a competition, or for the losing team, will often be full of champagne rugby and very enjoyable for one set of fans. 

I think a poor match would leave both sets of fans and neutrals disappointed. 

9 hours ago, Pie tries said:

Went to watch Sale rah rah couple years ago. Freezing. Kick fest. No skills. No excitement (still cracking game according to press). Felt all players and crowd glad when gsme ended…

I'll be honest, I watch and quite enjoy union, too. Over the years, the way fixtures I've attended live across the two codes have panned out, the best games have been union, a high scoring England France, Northampton pulling back a 20pt deficit against Bath. However, my worst in-person watch of either code was also union. Saracens against London Irish at Vicarage Road. Don't remember the score but lots of kicking to touch and much time lost to setting up lineouts.

1969-70 season, three consecutive games that got progressively worse both performance and weather wise

19 Feb RLCC round 1. Rochdale Hornets 2 York 0 

21 Feb RLCC round 2 Doncaster 5 Rochdale Hornets 5

25 Feb RLCC round 2 replay Rochdale Hornets 3 Doncaster 4

19 points in three games. I think Hornets were saving themselves for their next game

28 Feb Rochdale Hornets 6 Wigan 35.

Wigan must have been poor if we managed to score as many as 6 points!
Four games in 10 days…and the players were part time…eat yer heart out Super League.

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think a poor match would leave both sets of fans and neutrals disappointed. 

It's a personal thing. You're allowed to have as your worst match something that someone else would have as their best. I'm sure, objectively, I have absolutely loved some low quality games entirely because of the result.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's a personal thing. You're allowed to have as your worst match something that someone else would have as their best. I'm sure, objectively, I have absolutely loved some low quality games entirely because of the result.

Agreed, was just giving my take on it. I'm sure somebody somewhere enjoyed that Olympic Stadium game. Didn't they? 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure somebody somewhere enjoyed that Olympic Stadium game. 

You go too far.

On 25/03/2024 at 16:25, Rene_Artois said:

I remember this one! 

From a Donny point of view too many to mention.

However I remember a game at Hull KR when we won 30 nil. Straight after the game the Dons fans were surrounded by stewards for our protection. We were spat at, verbally abused and pelted with stuff. A lot of our younger fans in tears. It's taken a lot of years to forgive them. So yeah. My worst game ever.

I like to think us Rugby League fans are a bit different to Soccer fans...how to thses get into the game and why ?

The GB 38 - 8 loss to Australia after we’d beaten them 8 - 4 at Wembley.

I really thought we had a chance, but got demolished.

I was relatively young and new to the sport then and I was gutted.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I like to think us Rugby League fans are a bit different to Soccer fans...how to thses get into the game and why ?

I watch football home and away every week and I’ve seen far more ‘actual’ trouble (ie scrapping rather than just gesturing and ‘hold me back’) at RL games than I have football. It’s an absolute myth that these things are created because of football fans on a day off. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Zilla Budgie said:

Leigh 1 Warrington 1 at the end of 81-82 season (top 8 play off)

Lost the play off at Wigan if I remember right ?

Has Steve Hesford still kicked that winning goal yet 43 years on ? 😂😂

• Haha 1