England team For France Match

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an awesome attacking second row.

The rest of it just looks a teeny bit weird, but I guess players will be rotated through positions during the game.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

that looks a good team to me  think brown is creative roby will get the forwards moving apace  taylor  walmsley and burgess added to hill and graham thats a big set of forwards and a mobile pair of second rows all looks good to me

Nearly a third of the run on team are wires.  Do you reckon that Bennett saw any of our games other than the thrashing of Brisbane?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

57 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Do we really not have a better stand off than Brown? He was past his best at international level about 6 years ago. 

I see where you’re coming from, but weirdly enough he’s played better on the international stage than Gale under Bennett, irrespective of who is the better player.   It’s a weird old tournament.   Hopefully Brown’s Bennett form will continue this Sunday.

I really don’t feel enthused by this team or the coach at present - So different from the way I felt when Bennett was announced as coach at the time.   He’ll have my full support until the final (if we get there) and then we’ll see how his tenure had been as I’m not seeing where a win against Aus or NZ is going to come from.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

As a Wire fan I am one of the biggest critics of both Brown and Ratchford. They both frustrate me.

But they both played for Bennett in the successful mid-season test against Samoa so I hardly think it is too shocking a selection.

I am surprised Williams doesnt seem to be getting his chance though, he was better than Brown this year and was on the bench last week, so surely ahead of Brown in the pecking order.

What is disappointing though is that this is our 3rd fullback, 2nd stand off and 2nd hooker in 3 games - hardly getting our spine working like a well oiled machine.

11 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

It makes sense to give the players a game ie McMeeken and Brown. France should keep this one under 40 points. 

That's clearly what this is, a "everyone in the squad gets at least 1 game" team.

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As a Wire fan I am one of the biggest critics of both Brown and Ratchford. They both frustrate me.

But they both played for Bennett in the successful mid-season test against Samoa so I hardly think it is too shocking a selection.

I am surprised Williams doesnt seem to be getting his chance though, he was better than Brown this year and was on the bench last week, so surely ahead of Brown in the pecking order.

What is disappointing though is that this is our 3rd fullback, 2nd stand off and 2nd hooker in 3 games - hardly getting our spine working like a well oiled machine.

The frustrating thing is that when we switched hookers in the first game suddenly 1, 6 and 7 started to click in that 2nd half. I am a massive fan of Hodgson but if he doesn't fit the jigsaw then you need to sideline him. We should have been sticking with our 6,7 here and running them with Roby. Anyone can play full back against France.

Seeing what I've seen, I would go with 1. Lomax, 7. Gale, 6. Widdop and 9. Roby with Williams on the bench to cover both positions. 

A good opportunity for McMeeken, Taylor and Percival to force their way into Bennett's team for next week. Maybe even for Kevin Brown, who, despite all the criticism, has performed better at international level than Luke Gale  (In my opinion !)

Archived