Match Thread. Pre-season friendly. Castleford v Featherstone Sunday 30th December.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw some glimpses today but that was all. Otherwise along afternoon as a fev fan.

no playmaker so very much 5 drives and a kick rugby. Day and Harrison showed up well - as did Hardcastle and Locky as you’d expect. Number 20 who came on in second half looks useful on the forwards but sorry didn’t get his name.

Hard to tell much from the game apart from that Ryan Carr has work to do on edge defence and loads to do inattack 

Many new faces and lots of changes as you'd expect when wanting to see how the newbies would go. Clear some players just didn't know others that well yet and still learning the plays etc, again, as you would expect.

For me Day and Hardcastle looked solid.

Was it Becket at number 7? He put a shift in and not scared of tackling the big blokes. Hopefully with a more stable platform in the middle think he may prove to be a good signing for us.

FEV FAN  1964 - present.

Cas fielded what was basically a Championship level team ( a few fringe SL players mixed in with talented academies) and what the game highlighted was the gulf between that Championship level and the amateur game.

We just about matched them in the middle in the first half but looked vulnerable every time they moved it wide with Cory Aston having a field day, they had a reasonably strong threequarter line up and we couldn't contain them.

If there was a lesson from today it's that however much people might like the idea of bringing through local lads from amateur teams it is a massive gulf in class to bridge. In honesty, I didn't think any of the newcomers struck me as being close to ready for 1st grade, though it's hard to judge them when all thrown in together.. the likes of Lockwood, Cooper, and Day didn't play at all in the 2nd half, and Bailey didn't reappear after his sin binning, which came after he had been on about 5 minutes.

I thought Brad Day went well and Hardcastle was his usual self and made the only clean break by us. Tansey actually did better than I thought he would at 6, he at least looked like he knew how to set up attacking shapes whereas Punchard looked a bit lost, unsurprisingly in a scratch team whose coach is yet to arrive.

I think most of the lads we saw today need a season in the reserves to gain a bit more experience, it's  too early to judge them on this.

We will need the Boas brothers to be good and to get some help from DR with outside backs if we are to be competitive, but we knew that before today.

We must learn to tackle more around the legs, Nothing in attack at all, and our outside defence was non existent. I just hope that we do NOT sign Bailey on the field for 10 minutes gets sinned bin and you never see him again. Overall it was like watching men against boys. Carr has got a hell of a lot of work to do. A long afternoon and a complete waste of hard earned cash. Rant over/

I chose not to go today, instead I indulged in a few chocolates, 2 gins and had the remote control all to myself as Terry had gone to the game. You’d have thought reading on social media that the world was about to end, it hasn’t, it’s a warm up game between rivals, that’s all it ever was going to be, just like all pre season games. “ Am I worried, am I heck as like, I’ll let you know that back end of season” 

Im Fev and im proud

On 12/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes it's gone quiet on the season-long loans hasnt it? Saw a quote from Harry Newman the other day saying he was hoping to challenge Handley and Luke B for the vacant Leeds wing slot so sadly I doubt we will be getting him on season-long loan (wish we could though).

Day looks a astute signing Harrison is promising, tansey has enthusiasm from what I saw , punchcard looked lost as did a lot of them pre season or not this is a game that means something... let’s not start kidding ourselves this is going to be a long season... you can’t put A bunch of players together , mostly young players untested and expect miracles,, the brothers are going to have to be really good to give us half a chance 

35 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Does anyone know when the PNG boys arrive?

August..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I suppose with the return of Davies the three PNG lads and Bussey plus any extras from DR  we might be a bit happier. Today was just a training outing to gauge the potential of the players. As I have said before let them have a few games in the second team to see how they develop. You can't expect them to be top class at this stage. Some good coaching and an influx of DR players until we get a straight edge is the way forward. Plus a few more signings if possible. 

1 hour ago, jamescolin said:

Sad?? SOW What!! Piggy's mate

Bit early for next year's cracker jokes JC!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

28 minutes ago, coolie said:

Beat me too it lol

They've to get here first ;)

I'm sure they're looking for them as we speak Neil ?

With 4 to 5 missing and 4 due in in the next four weeks that = 9 decent players plus our DR players that’s a full Team so I can’t see the point in worrying just yet. Don’t forget we hammered Cas in this fixture last year but failed to make the top four. Thats the reason why I didn’t want to go and waste £50 on an afternoon watching players that are playing to see if they’ve got what it takes. I’m as bad as anyone for having a go at players who are not up to it but at least let’s get half way through the season after our Coach arrives before we write our season off.

14 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Does anyone know when the PNG boys arrive?

January Watson  Boas said not sure about the other two I presume they will be the same . The other day Watson posted a picture of the rovers badge on Instagram as well saying he can’t wait to play for the rovers .

Archived