R.I.P Peter Fox

Maureen T-k

It’s with great sadness that I’ve read that our ex coach of many years ago Peter Fox has sadly passed away. Condolences to all his family and friends 

Im Fev and im proud

If you get chance to read his book you won't be disappointed.

I can remember him having a signing session in the Rovers club shop when it was first published. 

The turn-out to the signing session was the biggest I can remember us holding.

We sold out all the books we had ordered from the publisher and that was a big number! Memory tells me that Peter then went off to his car to bring in some more he just happened to have with him!

Great bloke. 

RIP Peter

3 hours ago, Graham said:

If you get chance to read his book you won't be disappointed.

I can remember him having a signing session in the Rovers club shop when it was first published. 

The turn-out to the signing session was the biggest I can remember us holding.

We sold out all the books we had ordered from the publisher and that was a big number! Memory tells me that Peter then went off to his car to bring in some more he just happened to have with him!

Great bloke. 

RIP Peter

Met him at the book signing. A real gentleman with a deep knowledge of the game. Condolences to all involved.

I'll not outstay my welcome, I've already posted once this year. I couldn't sign out for another 2 years without passing on my respects to Peter Fox. He was the coach for my first game, he also imho coached Rovers when they were at their most potent in the late 80s, (88/89) with Newlove, Steadman, Bibb, Fox and Lyman regularly beating opposition that they'd struggled against since winning the league.

The day he left in the 91/92 signalled the end of that team in many ways and that coupled with the catastrophic relegation was the beginning of the end of a top division side. Steadman and Lyman had long gone, Fox went and Newlove and Smales were soon to depart. Then finally the spectre of the SL finally sold the great club back past the point of no return. 

I digress. Peter Fox many may remember was a side kick for Ray French on the BBC RL (Yes BBC!) coverage. I dislike quotes immensely but there was one quote Peter Fox said on BBC 1989- 'They say the likes of John Monie are great coaches. How many trophies would they win at the likes of Chorley or Blackpool.'

God bless Peter Fox. RIP.

Great bloke, was my first boss and head of appretices at IMI yorkshire Alloys.  Brilliant character and full of tales. The Rugby world has lost a great.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Peter’s funeral will be held on Wednesday 20th March, 2019 at St Michael’s Church, East Ardsley, WF3 2LJ at 12pm and refreshments afterwards at Bradford Bulls Rugby Stadium. All are welcome. The family would like to thank Bradford Bulls for this very kind gesture. 

Shared from Susan Reid 

Im Fev and im proud

7 hours ago, Andrew Vause said:

I'll not outstay my welcome, I've already posted once this year. I couldn't sign out for another 2 years without passing on my respects to Peter Fox. He was the coach for my first game, he also imho coached Rovers when they were at their most potent in the late 80s, (88/89) with Newlove, Steadman, Bibb, Fox and Lyman regularly beating opposition that they'd struggled against since winning the league.

The day he left in the 91/92 signalled the end of that team in many ways and that coupled with the catastrophic relegation was the beginning of the end of a top division side. Steadman and Lyman had long gone, Fox went and Newlove and Smales were soon to depart. Then finally the spectre of the SL finally sold the great club back past the point of no return. 

I digress. Peter Fox many may remember was a side kick for Ray French on the BBC RL (Yes BBC!) coverage. I dislike quotes immensely but there was one quote Peter Fox said on BBC 1989- 'They say the likes of John Monie are great coaches. How many trophies would they win at the likes of Chorley or Blackpool.'

God bless Peter Fox. RIP.

Was it during that second spell in charge that he also coached Yorkshire v Lancashire in the revamped War of the Roses matches (which we seemed to win for fun every year) or was that after he'd moved on to Bradford ?  As I recall most of the players you mentioned played for Yorkshire.  He also recalled an ageing Pete Smith referring to him as 'still the best tackler in the game bar none'.  You had to love his passion / enthusiasm for the game and at times over the top comments. 'Football won't be able to live with Rugby League in this country after this' he once said on commentary during the build up to a Challenge Cup final. 

True rugby league legend.

Archived