Challenge Cup Semis Venue Moving?

13 hours ago, fevtom said:

My criteria would be:

1) 30- 40k capacity. A decent size without feeling empty.

2) Not too far from the heartlands. I know we need to try new venues/areas sometimes but I’m not sure a cup semi final is the right time.

3) A decent stadium/city that will be attractive to attend.

With that in mind, Bramall Lane, Sheffield is the one that springs to mind for me. 

Why a stadium with a capacity of 30-40k ? Do you really think say Catalan v Halifax would fill a ground of that size ? Or any combination you could think of.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, JonM said:

It's a double header and I think the days of expecting people to stand for 4+ hours on an uncovered terrace are well behind us.

It does have 3 other side's you know.

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Why a stadium with a capacity of 30-40k ? Do you really think say Catalan v Halifax would fill a ground of that size ? Or any combination you could think of.

Clearly its dependent on who goes through. As others have said should Bradford, Hull, Saints and Wire or even KR get through there will need to be a fairly large capacity. If its catalans, Fax and Wakey then the capacity for a double header doesn't need to be as high.

This is only a backup venue anyway if everything at Bolton goes #### up

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Clearly its dependent on who goes through. As others have said should Bradford, Hull, Saints and Wire or even KR get through there will need to be a fairly large capacity. If its catalans, Fax and Wakey then the capacity for a double header doesn't need to be as high.

This is only a backup venue anyway if everything at Bolton goes #### up

Thanks Tommy I've just realised that it's a double header. Can see why fevtom was saying 30 - 40k now.

13 hours ago, JonM said:

It's a double header and I think the days of expecting people to stand for 4+ hours on an uncovered terrace are well behind us.

It's a practically brand new purpose built RL stadium and it looks good .the digs at the western terrace doesnt wash anymore and the revenue from the corporate facilities would greatly increase the takings 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

It's a practically brand new purpose built RL stadium and it looks good .the digs at the western terrace doesnt wash anymore and the revenue from the corporate facilities would greatly increase the takings 

It's not a dig - just reality. The semi-finals got over 26k last year, with Catalans one of the four semi-finalists. Headingley isn't anywhere near suitable to hold a double header of that size. 

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the capacity of the lower tier at Newcastle? If it is Saints, Wire, Bradford and Hull, could be a good shout as I imagine all could take 7- 10k and a good number of locals also.

Bramall Lane is my preferred option though. Sheffield needs more development. It's a huge city and bang on our doorstep yet we've not gone in on it for years.

Sheff Utd would be a good shout, especially as now they're in the PL their earliest home game won't be until at least 10 August, opposed to stadiums that have championship teams, where the league starts a week earlier. FWIW I think it will still be at Bolton, but if not it does feel quite predictably Huddersfield will be chosen. 

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Sheff Utd would be a good shout, especially as now they're in the PL their earliest home game won't be until at least 10 August, opposed to stadiums that have championship teams, where the league starts a week earlier. FWIW I think it will still be at Bolton, but if not it does feel quite predictably Huddersfield will be chosen. 

Sheffield only 2 hours-ish from the south too (with a heavy foot).....yes please

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

So absolutely nothing to see here, as I predicted earlier in the thread.

Why do the RL trade press insist on trying to create these panic scenarios? Surely it isn't purely for clickbait and they enjoy the chaos?

Correct. Definately nothing to see. Clickbait requires people to click and take the bait. Some posters on here can get somewhat carried away discussing the impossible - with added flights of fancy. 

I must say that I think the RFL has handled this extremely well. They raised it as an issue, worked to have a plan B in place (which I think  was important in case the administrators wanted to change the terms of the original deal), gave a deadline as far in advance as they could. And have now resolved it, presumably by shaking hands on pretty much the original deal with the administrators. 

4 hours ago, JonM said:

It's not a dig - just reality. The semi-finals got over 26k last year, with Catalans one of the four semi-finalists. Headingley isn't anywhere near suitable to hold a double header of that size. 

I have to agree, a double header wouldn't work, but if they moved back to individual semis then it would be ideal.

44 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

I have to agree, a double header wouldn't work, but if they moved back to individual semis then it would be ideal.

They've been selling tickets for the double header for months though.

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I must say that I think the RFL has handled this extremely well. They raised it as an issue, worked to have a plan B in place (which I think  was important in case the administrators wanted to change the terms of the original deal), gave a deadline as far in advance as they could. And have now resolved it, presumably by shaking hands on pretty much the original deal with the administrators. 

First post, so please be gentle...

But I think that I have been lurking for long enough to recognise that spouting this sort of positivity and common sense has no place on these forums ?

8 hours ago, JonM said:

Last year was Saints, Leeds, Warrington and Catalan so 26k was around the minimum that should be expected at that venue however this year could easily be Catalans, Hull KR, Halifax and Wakefield...Headingley would be fine (and no doubt more preferable) given the current non-popularity amongst paying fans of attending Challenge Cup ties.

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

So absolutely nothing to see here, as I predicted earlier in the thread.

Why do the RL trade press insist on trying to create these panic scenarios? Surely it isn't purely for clickbait and they enjoy the chaos?

RL journalists are a joke. Aaron Bower slated Magic Weekend this time last week and then a day later, backtracked when the first day was decent. 

They’re sadistic and pessimistic nature is a joke. 

Bolton, chosen so that the West of the Pennines clubs don't have to go too far from their doorsteps, seemingly for the CC semis the Lancy clubs struggle to go in decent numbers when it's outside their manor!

There's never any thought to neutral fans outside the heartlands areas anymore, RFL has sold out to chase the few coppers they'll get for tickets.

Choosing Bolton is pointless, no point increasing capacity if you're going to still sell the tickets for ten bob to northern monkeys who expect cut price tickets, restricting available tickets means you don't have to discount/sell them for peanuts.

If you're going for the bigger venue at least think outside the box a bit, As previous poster, Sheffield would have been a decent shout, however if you're having a small nod to fans from the midlands/Southern regions Pride Park in Derby or Notts Forest's ground, both are full size pitches, both are at least 30k.

17 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

Just have the semi's in the leading clubs own ground and don't give it to a Soccer stadium as it never sells as remember as a young 1 Leeds playing Featherstone in a half full ground ...Jim Fallon punches.

In theory this would garner the most fans, it would net the most amount of money, BUT, it's not a neutral ground and thus it would not be acceptable to 50% of the teams competing.

11 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Yeah but you don't have to bloody stand there do you? It's a shi.t tip as an away ground. One of the worst.

Well where I sit in my new South Stand seat its marvelous the view and legroom superb it just reminds me of what a modern RL ground should look like. These other new toytown grounds ? I've seen better high School stadiums in USA 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived