Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

London Broncos have been a disaster off the pitch

Recommended Posts

I'm absolutely over the moon at how we've been playing. Hats off to Danny Ward and the boys. 

On the pitch we've been outstanding, off the pitch I'm afraid to say the club has been a disgrace and have not met the standards of what a SL club should be. The Broncos are the only pro rl club in London so we need a club down here that's a five star flagship enterprise and shows off the sport in the best way possible to the casual sports fan outside of the heartlands. 

The 'stadium' is cosy yes but we need to be playing in an accessible modern ground with a decent number of seats and corporate hospitality. Vallis Way is not SL and the team deserves to play on a bigger stage not a park. 

Secondly the marketing of the club is horrendous, next to no visibility of the club locally in Ealing or across London. No online presence except for a Twitter and fb page. We're doing great on the pitch but the club really needs to up it's game off it, this simply ain't good enough 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pleased that this thread has been started by a Broncos supporter, not some Northern flat capper with an axe to grind!

That said, what's the solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have occasionally stayed over in London for away games. I love the ground to be honest but on the other hand there doesn't seem much to do in Ealing. I find it strange that the ground is always mentioned with the Broncos, but Skolars have nearly hit the 20 years semi-pro mark and ALL at the same stadium!

  • Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever this is mentioned most people suggest a ground share with Brentford would be the best option. Is that feasible at all? Assuming they would be welcomed that is.

I think the most important thing for the Broncos is to have a long term home. If Ealing is the best option then fair enough, they’ll just have to do the best they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm absolutely over the moon at how we've been playing. Hats off to Danny Ward and the boys. 

On the pitch we've been outstanding, off the pitch I'm afraid to say the club has been a disgrace and have not met the standards of what a SL club should be. The Broncos are the only pro rl club in London so we need a club down here that's a five star flagship enterprise and shows off the sport in the best way possible to the casual sports fan outside of the heartlands. 

The 'stadium' is cosy yes but we need to be playing in an accessible modern ground with a decent number of seats and corporate hospitality. Vallis Way is not SL and the team deserves to play on a bigger stage not a park. 

Secondly the marketing of the club is horrendous, next to no visibility of the club locally in Ealing or across London. No online presence except for a Twitter and fb page. We're doing great on the pitch but the club really needs to up it's game off it, this simply ain't good enough 

Why don’t you dip your hand in your pocket Daddy? David Hughes can’t have much left.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/29/london-broncos-david-hughes

  • Thanks 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of stadiums in London of varying sizes. No point playing in a ground of 30k+ capacity. Leyton orient holds about 9/10k and is easily accessible on the underground. Should the club need a bigger ground in future there’s plenty about. Also Leyton is close to central London so travelling fans could make it back home on into London quite easily. Ealing is out on a limb. 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some quick points in response.

Ealing is ideal for alowing all the clubs teams to train together which has not been the case previously.

I do not think that Trailfinders as a ground puts people off attending as opposed to the lack of atmosphere caused by  2,000 rattling around the Stoop or 800 rattling around the Hive. When demand exceeds supply attendance wise then it's time to start thinking about taking a game or two to a ground with a bigger capacity in West London.

I am surprised by the touching faith in "marketing".  To market a product you have to have something people want to buy into. Get a consistently winning London side first with a connection to the area then the marketing aspect comes into play.

Above all else where is the money coming from, If you do not own your own ground then you cannot generate commercial revenues from using the ground as a conference facililty etc. What you do pay is rent and the rent at Trailfinders is a much better deal than Brentford for example.

Ah yes money, not that your reading this Gavin Willacy but if there are investors you have hinted about wanting to get involved in London Broncos whose surname is not Argyle. Perhaps another bloodnut missing his or her league. Can you get them to come forward?

London Skolars have indeed been playing at New River for 2 odd years and their crowds are nothing to shout about underscoring the points being made above about the Broncos.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in central London with work yesterday and thought about going to the match but the Stadium is just too far out on a weeknight. 

No easy answer but they need to be on or close to the tube system.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

No easy answer but they need to be on or close to the tube system

Funny.  I'm waiting for Saints, Pies, Cas & Wakey to have their own personal railway systems to be installed before attending too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, londonbronco said:

Funny.  I'm waiting for Saints, Pies, Cas & Wakey to have their own personal railway systems to be installed before attending too.

The point is marra, London is so big to get from one side to the other can take hours and that's not good for a home game. The rest you mentioned are small towns so easy to get to for a home game.

I used to live in Sydney and we went to many a Roosters game when they were at Bondi, once the NRL tried to get the Sydney clubs to use the Olympic stadium for some home games we usually didn't go as it was far to far to go for a home game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

The point is marra, London is so big to get from one side to the other can take hours and that's not good for a home game. The rest you mentioned are small towns so easy to get to for a home game.

I used to live in Sydney and we went to many a Roosters game when they were at Bondi, once the NRL tried to get the Sydney clubs to use the Olympic stadium for some home games we usually didn't go as it was far to far to go for a home game.

It is far out and the traffic can be bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New forum rule - anyone suggesting the Broncos relocate has to name the stadium they should move to. Should put a stop to that line of conversation.

As to crowds, well, I've said about a dozen times on here this season alone: no-one knows the club exists! You kind of, I don't know, actually, maybe, have to make your presence known. Secondly, it's all very well putting on a nice deal, like the free beers on Thursday night, but if you don't tell people you're doing it then it's a waste of time - and sending tweets to people who already follow the club doesn't achieve anything. 

  • Like 4

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

New forum rule - anyone suggesting the Broncos relocate has to name the stadium they should move to. Should put a stop to that line of conversation.

As to crowds, well, I've said about a dozen times on here this season alone: no-one knows the club exists! You kind of, I don't know, actually, maybe, have to make your presence known. Secondly, it's all very well putting on a nice deal, like the free beers on Thursday night, but if you don't tell people you're doing it then it's a waste of time - and sending tweets to people who already follow the club doesn't achieve anything. 

QPR, Leyton Orient, Wimbledon, etc etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I was in central London with work yesterday and thought about going to the match but the Stadium is just too far out on a weeknight. 

No easy answer but they need to be on or close to the tube system.

So what line is Ealing Broadway on then? District Line, plus only one stop on the Train out of Paddington. Lazy? or just unaware Mr Frisky? How close do you want it to a tube station? Actually on the Platforms? Brentford has rubbish train & tube links, and all the other grounds proposed are unadvisable. Having been to Trailfinders I find it a nice, compact ground, true it doesn't have the 12,000 capacity that SL demands, but as said, do we need 2,000 rattling around The Valley, or Loftus Road? As for the East London grounds, has anybody done a North/East/West/South London survey of fans home base?

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 4

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

QPR, Leyton Orient, Wimbledon, etc etc 

Go on then, I'll play along. How much does it cost? What is the revenue split from bars, etc? What increase in crowds are you projecting? What loss of support by moving clear across London? How many games do they miss in the summer for pitch improvements? Can they play Academy double-headers? Do they have access to the club shop?

I'll give you a head start on the first one - QPR rented Loftus Rd to Fulham 20 years ago for £1m p/a.

  • Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP is spot on. London should be applauded for the players they have brought through their academy system in a non heartlands area, Alex Walker, Rob Butler and Will Lovell to name a few. This is great for the game, for England to be successful we need to produce players in more areas than Leeds, Hull, Wigan and St Helens. 

However off the field the “stadium” is only fit for the Championship at best, sadly if London are to become a year in year out Super League club again they need to move or significantly develop the ground. They are also terrible at marketing, they really need to invest some cash and bring in someone from outside the club with a proven track record to attract locals to their games, this would pay for itself in the long run. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

So what line is Ealing Broadway on then? District Line, plus only one stop on the Train out of Paddington. Lazy? or just unaware Mr Frisky? How close do you want it to a tube station? Actually on the Platforms? Brentford has rubbish train & tube links, and all the other grounds proposed are unadvisable. Having been to Trailfinders I find it a nice, compact ground, true it doesn't have the 12,000 capacity that SL demands, but as said, do we need 2,000 rattling around The Valley, or Loftus Road? As for the East London grounds, has anybody done a North/East/West/South London survey of fans home base?

There’s a train station right by the ground via Paddington. An issue though is trains don’t stop there on Sunday. When they don't it’s ealing Broadway plus bus. 

Re general location. Keep Broncos in west London, build Skolars in north east London and if we can get decent crowds maybe think south London. 

I’m not a fan of the current ground but yes do remember rattling around the Valley and Barnet for that matter. 

All this discussion is irrelevant if we can’t get decent funding to promote the game down here and more internationals to raise profile. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game should build a stadium that isn't just a home for the broncos but a hub for London RL. 

London's SL side(s) should be the pinnacle of a pyramid in London with its roots going through the amateur sides, youth teams, school teams etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...