Rob Burrow

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind admitting that when watching Rob in the interview the tears were rolling down my cheeks. I just wanted to reach through the screen and join Sir Kev in that hug. This news has really affected me. I wish Rob and all those who love him all the best for the fight ahead....... and I've a feeling he will fight like a tiger, because that's what he does.

12 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Phil Stephenson, Adam Maher, Paul Fisher, Lee Newton, Simon Smith, Doddie Weir, Joost van der Westhuizen, Tinus Linee, Ken Waters, Mark Burgess, Nick Smith, Paul Darbyshire ,Tu'u Maori, Scott Gale and many others. 

For a disease that affects .002% of the population the Rugby numbers are too big. Might be nothing, but should be looked at in depth.

Not seen many things as heartbreaking as Rob's interviews.

Even if it is inconclusive its not worth the risk of 1 person again developing this or any other life limiting issues. The game has taken steps to look after players welfare with the  head test, removing the shoulder charge and legs over the horizontal. But despite this the risks are still made higher by demanding the players play more matches.

The "clubs need more fixtures for revenue" is simply not good enough for me and these lads are not paid enough to take the hammer that their bodies receive. The players need a positive post playing life, stories like Luke Robinson not remembering his kids birth is another example. 

Players welfare should be priority. The game and clubs are risking these lads welfare when it could be avoided. 

It's very prevalent in high performance athletes and others.

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with ALS (what we call MND in NA).  I served in the military with him and he went on to serve in a special unit and was supremely fit.  Went from being an elite soldier to not being able to really talk or use his hands n the span of a year.

Terrible disease and I pray for the family as this isn't really a treatable disease and there is no happy ending to it.

9 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I was with some fellow Featherstone fans last night and we are all going to the Leeds v Bradford game that is for Rob as well as JJB. I have a feeling the attendance could be be big, let's hope so. 

Yeh, I am pretty sure many of us not associated with either club will be heading over there to salute and support a great guy. It just seems so right to do so doesn't it?

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

The Former Leeds United manager and former player Don Revie died from it too 

When Don Revie's condition was made public, that was the first time I had heard of it. What a cruel disease, one of my best mates lost his wife a few years ago to it, she was only in her late forties.

Personally think that Burrow should have another game in his honour instead of JJB’s testimonial. I’m sure JJB doesn’t care and is more than willing to share his occasion with a mate but I think both celebrations should be separate, but that’s not a problem. 

I’ve emailed Leeds this evening. I don’t want to attend the Leeds v Bradford friendly because it’s hundreds of miles from home, it’s a friendly and neither are my team but I’ve asked if I can buy tickets and have them donated to an adult and a child who don’t have masses of disposable income. I was lucky to grow up as Burrow come through at Leeds and grow into an adult as he cemented his legendary status at Leeds, whilst often performing superbly against my side much to my frustration, and I’d like to give a kid the chance to find a love for Rugby League, as I did as a child. 

6 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

Even if it is inconclusive its not worth the risk of 1 person again developing this or any other life limiting issues. The game has taken steps to look after players welfare with the  head test, removing the shoulder charge and legs over the horizontal. But despite this the risks are still made higher by demanding the players play more matches.

The "clubs need more fixtures for revenue" is simply not good enough for me and these lads are not paid enough to take the hammer that their bodies receive. The players need a positive post playing life, stories like Luke Robinson not remembering his kids birth is another example. 

Players welfare should be priority. The game and clubs are risking these lads welfare when it could be avoided. 

2020 needs to be the year the sport starts taking player welfare seriously. At the end of the day the players themselves have the power because without them there is no game

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Personally think that Burrow should have another game in his honour instead of JJB’s testimonial. I’m sure JJB doesn’t care and is more than willing to share his occasion with a mate but I think both celebrations should be separate, but that’s not a problem. 

I’ve emailed Leeds this evening. I don’t want to attend the Leeds v Bradford friendly because it’s hundreds of miles from home, it’s a friendly and neither are my team but I’ve asked if I can buy tickets and have them donated to an adult and a child who don’t have masses of disposable income. I was lucky to grow up as Burrow come through at Leeds and grow into an adult as he cemented his legendary status at Leeds, whilst often performing superbly against my side much to my frustration, and I’d like to give a kid the chance to find a love for Rugby League, as I did as a child. 

Great gesture mate.

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Fantastic idea Oliver.

I have just emailed the club and asked them to let me know that if I purchase 2 adult tickets can they can pass the tickets to 2 adults/children that are connected to any Charity that the club supports.

Once they get in touch to say they can organise this I will give the club a ring and purchase the tickets.

Archived