Rob Burrow

On 19/12/2019 at 22:10, Col81 said:

By the interview hes clearly got issues already I'm surprised it has been unknown for this long

MND doesn't have clear and obvious symptoms to start with and it can develop very quickly. Rob did mention that his family said something but he wrote it off as being to do with his tongue.

My father started to lose some feeling in his foot initially. Before I found out about Rob, I was reminiscing with my wife about how worried I was at the time that my dad would lose feeling in his foot and not be able to play golf.

The first major warning signs were when he mentioned that it had crept into his lower leg. I graduated in the July and remember thinking my dad seemed down: it was only later I found out that the doctors had told him it might be MND but were still trying to eliminate other possibilities. 

The family were told in the September and at this point my dad was still walking about. He died in the early May, at which point he was wheelchair bound and struggling to even move his arms. It never affected his speech oddly enough but then there's no hard and fast way.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just donated to the fund - it's at £128,000 now, over £154,000 including GiftAid.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

In Rob's statement it was interesting to hear him say how grateful he was for help and that he could never repay people. Well Rob, you have already paid us all in spades with the way you graced the great game of RL! It is us who feel that we cannot now repay you enough.

So ver 

1 hour ago, I0RL said:

In Rob' statement it was interesting to hear him say how grateful he was for help and that he could never repay people. Well Rob, you have already paid us all in spades with the way you graced the great game of RL! It is us who feel that we cannot now repay you enough.

so very true , Rob won’t leave my thoughts at the moment as I am sure is the same for us all .

3 hours ago, I0RL said:

Well Rob, you have already paid us all in spades with the way you graced the greatest game of RL!

And doing it so well I even enjoyed watching Leeds except when they played Salford of course!

Just awful. I keep thinking this is all a bad dream.

A colleague of mine had it, he was also one of the good guys, the type who didn’t have a bad word to say about anyone was liked by everyone and a true gentleman (like Rob) and it was so sad to see him battling it. He lasted 20 months I think.

Ive been helping my mum through chemo this year for the second time which has been really tough but I’ve coped, cancer doesn’t worry me but MND does. I hope in my lifetime they find a cure. 

Give it your all Rob.

He says right now he is feeling just about normal  so he will want this to be a special Christmas with his family, his wife and 3 young children. Have a wonderful Christmas Rob 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 21/12/2019 at 01:43, Adelaide Tiger said:

Fantastic idea Oliver.

I have just emailed the club and asked them to let me know that if I purchase 2 adult tickets can they can pass the tickets to 2 adults/children that are connected to any Charity that the club supports.

Once they get in touch to say they can organise this I will give the club a ring and purchase the tickets.

Please post the result on here with any info they give you about doing it. I'd like to do the same 

Just been on the Virgin Money page to donate, the target is now £200,000 with £163,863.25 raised by direct donations and £196,436.89 including gift aid.

A tremendous effort by great supporters of the greatest game and a real testament to Rob's standing within it

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

10 hours ago, Celt said:

I am very sorry to hear what your Dad went through mate.  In such black and white language, it sounds truly awful.  

Thanks mate. It was a long time ago now but it will still come back up now and again.

Depression came up earlier and for most of his life my dad was the sort of man who thought people just needed to suck it up and stop feeling sorry for themselves. However, he retired at 50 and it was such a shock to the system that he ended up going to the doctors for depression.

I always remember him sat in a wheelchair saying that he'd rather not be able to use his legs than be depressed. If my dad was able to learn the lesson about mental illness (albeit the hard way) then anyone can.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Just been on the Virgin Money page to donate, the target is now £200,000 with £163,863.25 raised by direct donations and £196,436.89 including gift aid.

A tremendous effort by great supporters of the greatest game and a real testament to Rob's standing within it

With this figure in mind it would be good of the BBC to show some respect and update their website! 

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t want to,get into things too deep but in the article he names half a dozen players tha have MND   These are from both codes worldwide , whilst I’m sure that’s not the entire list it can’t be far off the one in 50,000 ratio of people who get this horrendous disease?

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

I don’t want to,get into things too deep but in the article he names half a dozen players tha have MND   These are from both codes worldwide , whilst I’m sure that’s not the entire list it can’t be far off the one in 50,000 ratio of people who get this horrendous disease?

Exactly. Classic Guardian knee jerk high horse journalism. Lets leave it to the experts eh.

An article saying the facts (we don’t know what causes MND but they are looking into a, b, c), covering the support the rugby league community has given so far and then suggesting what could be done next (having MND fundraising play a big part of Magic Weekend?) would have been fine. Not so subtly framing the article against the NFL concussion controversy was completely uncalled for.

Archived