England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

26 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Up against the likes of Latrell Mitchell, David Fifita, Viliame Kikau, Vunivalu, Sivo, Joseph Manu, Ken Maumalo, Corey Oates, Daniel Tupou and Kotoni Staggs how do you think these 3 would get on?

Many a big bloke has been run over by these . I think we should also spend as much time thinking about what guys CAN do and bring in terms of hurting the opposition , rather than what it’s perceived that they CANT . There’s good big guys , good smaller guys . You just want good players who bring something and we can  take it to these sides and throw plenty at them rather than grind it out . 

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Only 3 of those players are centres,there are 16 stone forwards in the NRL who get run over by the likes of  Fifita &,Kikau

Agreed but we should be trying to pick players that don’t get run over.

I think Newman will play for England by the way, I just wouldn’t pick him at the moment, if he builds a load of muscle in the off season he’s a chance for next year but I think the 2025 World Cup is more likely for him. 

With my Leeds hat on it’s a bit depressing that we don’t have many names being put forward (quite rightly), however I see Newman, Walker, Smith all featuring at some point in the next few years.

one of the sad things about Wards injuries is that when fully fit and firing he looked every bit an international, unfortunately I can’t ever see it happening.

On 22/08/2020 at 06:13, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Cameron Smith is a brilliant back rower. 

I presume you weren't one of the majority of Leeds fans tearing him to shreds in the last couple of years then?

He's gone from 'never a super league player' to 'a brilliant back rower' in the space of about 18 months?

4 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I presume you weren't one of the majority of Leeds fans tearing him to shreds in the last couple of years then?

He's gone from 'never a super league player' to 'a brilliant back rower' in the space of about 18 months?

No I wasn’t. Some people are far too quick to call on young players been thrown in at the deep end (a bit like Wardle, Newman, Welsby for England)  then for them to be thrown on the scrap heap when they don’t immediately produce, but I’m certainly not one of them. 

Jake Wardle is 6’2” and around 98kg, he’s a tough bloke and doesn’t get dominated by anyone. He’s also one of the most naturally gifted classy attacking players to develop in this country for sometime.

That said he had a long time out with a knee injury so I’d give him another 12 months and look toward the 2021 World Cup for him.

12 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Jake Wardle is 6’2” and around 98kg, he’s a tough bloke and doesn’t get dominated by anyone. He’s also one of the most naturally gifted classy attacking players to develop in this country for sometime.

That said he had a long time out with a knee injury so I’d give him another 12 months and look toward the 2021 World Cup for him.

We as a competition seem to be blessed with good young players all over at the moment which can only be a positive for the future, shame we don't have regular fixtures for the Knights to give them that internation feel.

51 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Problem with these England threads is most are always going to suggest the usual ones or the ones sky big up.

Most SL fans know nothing other than what they see or hear from Sky.

I think you're doing us a disservice on here. A lot of posters on here seem to be very knowledgeable about the game and can determine who they think is playing well despite what Sky says. 

I actually think Huddersfield have some great young players with Wardle, Senior twins, English and McIntosh. I also believe some of those players will make the England side in the next few years regardless of who they play for

• 3 months later...
On 23/08/2020 at 09:59, meast said:

Why do they need muscle?

The way the game is going then speed, skill and quick thinking is the way to go, not muscles?

I agree.  Sharpness and speed is important in the backs.  And skill. You need to be on top of the opposition and snuff them out.

3 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I read today that Regan Grace's dad is from Birmingham, making him eligible for both Wales and England if he was to switch to RU.

Is he eligible to switch to England in RL too? If so, is he good enough to make the current England squad?

He is eligible to switch yes.  He has not played for another tier 1 nation so could switch under the current regulations.

Is he good enough.  I would say so, yes.

But a Welsh lad wanting to play for Wales is great in my opinion.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I read today that Regan Grace's dad is from Birmingham, making him eligible for both Wales and England if he was to switch to RU.

Is he eligible to switch to England in RL too? If so, is he good enough to make the current England squad?

He has also qualified now on residency regardless. Would be sad to see as Wales are in the competition but it is a professional sport and we don't seem to be bothered who switches now.

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

True, but then he'd be looking at a world cup SF at absolute best, and most probably not even that. In 2017 Wales didn't even reach the QF's. With England he could be a champion.

Let’s hope sivo picks Australia over Fiji too and Xavier Coates picks oz over the kumuls because these 2 nations don’t have much chance of winning too.

6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Let’s hope sivo picks Australia over Fiji too and Xavier Coates picks oz over the kumuls because these 2 nations don’t have much chance of winning too.

One thing helping the other nations at the World Cup is that all player payments are equal for the tournament. In the past we have seen some countries literally paying lunch money and the tournaments actually costing some players money to be involved with the likes of Samoa and Tonga.

• 4 months later...
On 22/08/2020 at 10:30, Stanley30 said:

Off the top of my head how about :

evalds

johnstone

griffin

Newman

makinson/manfredi

connor

williams

Lees

mcshane

watts

currie

ashurst

whitehead

subs

powell

oledzski

walmsley

Hughes

My prediction is slowly coming together 😁

Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson, Herbie Farnworth, Zac Hardaker, Tom Davies,

Jonny Lomax

George Williams

Ryan Sutton,

John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead,

Tom Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson 

Interchange. Darryl Clark, Alex Walmsley, Liam Watts, Mike McMeeken

I have picked Zak Hardaker despite his past record of homophobic statements, which are anathema to me and most members of this forum. I believe that a man should be given a chance to reform his thinking and behavior.

This is a team that can beat everyone other than Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, and Fiji.

Archived