Bennet: It’s You Not Me

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

A spoiler alert would probably be good for those who are working and haven't watched the game yet!

i remember my father in law once said to me "last minute try to win it.. amazing!" about the Leeds v Hull challenge cup final even though he knew i was recording it to watch the next day.. he knew this because we were staying with them because we were at a wedding! He was completely baffled when i looked annoyed and just said "but i didnt tell you who won it!"... no but ffs!

59 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

His Origin success was a perhaps a demonstration that last year’s GB performance was an example of the terrible playing stock available to GB/Eng’ rather than an example of his shortcomings as a coach.

Discuss...

Too be fair NZ,Tonga & even PNG didn’t display the level of ineptitude that NSW did in 2 of the 3 games.

I can’t say I thought he had many shortcomings as a coach, even after last year. That said, the decision to fly Handley across the planet to sit in the stands and watch Austin play on the wing remains a mystery. 

He remains one of the greatest of all time and got England to a World Cup Final for the first time in a generation. He treated the tour as a warm up for the Ashes and it backfired on and off the pitch. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

i remember my father in law once said to me "last minute try to win it.. amazing!" about the Leeds v Hull challenge cup final even though he knew i was recording it to watch the next day.. he knew this because we were staying with them because we were at a wedding! He was completely baffled when i looked annoyed and just said "but i didnt tell you who won it!"... no but ffs!

my grandfather warned everyone the titanic was gonna sink right from the start, no body wanted to listen to him- eventually he got thrown out of the cinema.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Lions didn't play well but finding a reason is quite difficult. Saying because he won this it must be entirely the players' fault is a bit too simplistic. A nice idea for stirring the pot on a forum though.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Ha ha, it kept you in your seat till the end though, didn't it?

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The Lions didn't play well but finding a reason is quite difficult. Saying because he won this it must be entirely the players' fault is a bit too simplistic. A nice idea for stirring the pot on a forum though.

I think they lacked a bit of pride in the shirt.

To quote Monty Python, they looked ''tired and shagged out, after a long squawk''.

There was a lot of tedious dull rugby with Bennett i thought. It killed me to sit through it. 

I once purposely let slip the latest score to a mate despite them pleading not to. They were still annoyed when they heard it was 0-0 in the first half.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

What did it for Bennett in the end with England was not the performances but the selections.  The squad he took to New Zealand and PNG was unbalanced and this became more and more exposed as the tour went on.

You certainly got the feeling that he didn't spend a great deal of time understanding the players in the UK game.

He probably would not have accepted it but a selection panel to pick the squad and Bennett as coach would probably have worked well.  Almost to a man the players he has coached have nothing but praise for him so he must be as good as his record suggests. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

His Origin success was a perhaps a demonstration that last year’s GB performance was an example of the terrible playing stock available to GB/Eng’ rather than an example of his shortcomings as a coach.

Discuss...

Interesting point and one I partially agree with.

Bennett is an exceptional coach, although he does play a fairly attritional style.....but that often wins big games.

I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle though - he didn't pick the best players last year, as he doesn't watch SL so picked some players who were passed it. And in relation to Origin, he was up against the inept Fittler. Great player, awful coach. There's no way NSW should be losing against that Maroooaaan side.

I do worry about our side if the WC is next year. Without stand out players Roby, Graham, O'Loughlin and S Burgess, I don't see us dominating up front and our backs are a long way from the quality of Australia and even some other nations

He didn’t have a clue about SL based players!

More importantly he didn’t have any faith in SL based players!

Motivating a bunch of Queenslanders for a SoO series bares zero comparison to understanding how to tap into the motivations of a bunch of Northern Englishmen.

He’d never heard of Tommy Makinson despite the aforementioned having played for one of SLs top teams for almost a decade!

His first question to Tom Johnstone was “who are you?”

England/ G Britain are not Australia, different mentality, different style of play, different psychological triggers, different strengths and weaknesses.

Being truculent with the press when we struggle for any coverage didn’t help!

Bennett was an antipodean rhomboid in a round hole!

5 hours ago, RP London said:

Some years ago I had a bet on a horse at Cheltenham and was going to watch it " live" that evening.

I had bet on a horse trained by Fred Rimmel. One of my work mates came rushing up to me and said " have you heard what won at Cheltenham?"

I quickly shut him up and explained I wanted to see the race unfold. " Fair enough" he said. " I will just say that Michael Dickinson had the first 5 finishers!"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:
5 hours ago, RP London said:

Ha ha, it kept you in your seat till the end though, didn't it?

Would have been an even better teaser comment if that match had been postponed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Discuss...

I`v got to give it to you SP,  you don`t miss.

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Discuss...

I'd say it was an example of the complete lack of understanding of his playing stock, which ultimately proved his downfall.

He knows the NRL. He doesn't know the SL.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He probably would not have accepted it but a selection panel to pick the squad and Bennett as coach would probably have worked well.  Almost to a man the players he has coached have nothing but praise for him so he must be as good as his record suggests. 

Do you know for certain the assistant coaches didn’t influence the selection? I don’t know either way. Agree though, if he was sole selector of the squad, then that was an error.

7 hours ago, RP London said:

European Championships 1988.  Me and the wife to be went out for the day I asked the in laws if they would record the England v Rep of Ireland game. When we got back the father in law said that they ‘Had only remembered about 10 minutes after the game had kicked off’  I was a bit miffed but I said ‘At least there was 80 minutes to watch’.  Then the mother in law piped up ‘I wouldn’t bother as Ireland scored the only goal before we started recording the game’.

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Anyone who thinks Bennett was the sole selector for GB/England needs their head checked.

Steady on, steady on.

It's only an exchange of ideas. lol.

Archived