Hastings desperate to leave Wigan

He’s still in Australia and doesn’t sound at all keen to return. Hastings is quoted in the Aussie press below.

“Australia is home, where I didn’t fulfil my potential. I’d love to come back and change people’s perception of me.”

“You only need one club to show interest. I’m not too bothered if the club’s been coming last or coming first.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest it is good practice to provide a link to where the quote can be found so that the article can be the read and the quote taken in context.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To my memory Hastings has always made clear his long term aim is to play back in the NRL? I've always seen this situation as one of those where we should be grateful whilst we have him kind of thing - I'm thinking Jamie Lyon as another example. 

I do think he'll stay at Wigan for this season, not least of all because anybody who follows him on social media will know his girlfriend of a year or so is from Manchester - so i'd be surprised if he went back to Aus in December never to return.

I think this is just Hastings making clear on his position both to Wigan (more than fans than anything as i'm sure the club are well aware) and NRL clubs that he's open to talk as of now basically. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-transfers-jackson-hastings-return-sydney-roosters-manly-sea-eagles-super-league-wigan/news-story/3f7f18843504e71b0cb32bf12d090a74

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

To my memory Hastings has always made clear his long term aim is to play back in the NRL? I've always seen this situation as one of those where we should be grateful whilst we have him kind of thing - I'm thinking Jamie Lyon as another example. 

I do think he'll stay at Wigan for this season, not least of all because anybody who follows him on social media will know his girlfriend of a year or so is from Manchester - so i'd be surprised if he went back to Aus in December never to return.

I think this is just Hastings making clear on his position both to Wigan (more than fans than anything as i'm sure the club are well aware) and NRL clubs that he's open to talk as of now basically. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-transfers-jackson-hastings-return-sydney-roosters-manly-sea-eagles-super-league-wigan/news-story/3f7f18843504e71b0cb32bf12d090a74

Exactly.  

He is well behind the wigan programme though if he is coming back.  

As a Wigan fan I’m a bit sick of hearing about him first not wanting to join, now always wanting to leave.  It’s a not a great look.  He’s not as good a player as he thinks he is and I reckon he’d struggle in the NRL. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s still in Australia and doesn’t sound at all keen to return. Hastings is quoted in the Aussie press below.

“Australia is home, where I didn’t fulfil my potential. I’d love to come back and change people’s perception of me.”

“You only need one club to show interest. I’m not too bothered if the club’s been coming last or coming first.

Does this pass the various tests?

1. So what? 

2. Does anyone care? 

3.Would you have him in your team? 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

As a Wigan fan I’m a bit sick of hearing about him first not wanting to join, now always wanting to leave.  It’s a not a great look.  He’s not as good a player as he thinks he is and I reckon he’d struggle in the NRL. 

A lot of them are only over here because they can't get a game in the NRL.

That’s one perspective, certainly. He is flying back to play his part for us. One thing I like about him is that he always competes for 80 minutes regardless of context. But his home is Australia and he has unfinished business, so we won’t be seeing him over here in 2021. 

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Id sack him 

No single player is bigger than the club 

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Id sack him 

No single player is bigger than the club 

Lol sack him for what exactly?

If you asked any other nrl import the same question what do you think their answer would be?

Doesn't mean hes not committed.

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

I think he’s quality and would do alright in the NRL. Though agreed it doesn’t make him took good whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

A lot of them are only over here because they can't get a game in the NRL.

It’s fair enough that they come here to earn a living if they can’t get a game in a better league. Same as CFL players would join the NFL if they could, Championship players would be in the premier league etc. I don’t know why anyone expects club loyalty from players, it’s their job. 

Sir Kevin is obviously upset that everyone thinks Leeds are stupid to waste money on Eastmond, so he attempts to rubbish Hastings.

A few other sad people take an opportunity to kick in as well.

Wigan know Hastings is leaving at the end of the season.  I'm sure Leeds would like him next year, they'd need a half back.

Nowhere in that article does Hastings suggest that he wants to leave Wigan before his contract expires;nor does he even hint at being desperate to leave Wigan.

It is an Australian journalist interviewing an Australian who wishes to express his desire to play for a club in the NRL.

Perhaps some rugby league followers will want Championship players to be sacked if they state they wish to play in Super League.

We best keep away from the Super League players who express a desire to play in the NRL.

No surprise the sport is given little publicity when the followers of the sport always find fault with those having an opinion.

Always impressed by the maturity of Hastings.I would have liked him to have remained at Salford.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Where do we cross the line between ambitious and greedy? Hastings has done it at Salford, firstly keeping them in Super League and then, unbelievably, leading them to a Grand Final, he’s then gone on to Wigan, where he helped them win the minor premiership before losing a Grand Final. Why shouldn’t he or any other player in Super League have ambitions to play in the best Rugby League competition on the planet?

If Hastings doesn’t return to Wigan, I’ll be happy because I’m a Saints fan and he’s a key player. However, Super League will be worse off for his absence. 

Archived