Fri 24 Sept: Warrington Wolves v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/21 at 19:15

My theory is that some teams are simply exhausted, after last year’s COVID year, and this year’s stresses. The players have had to perform under pressure, under the shadow of the pandemic, and some have played a lot more games than others. I am not at all surprised to see teams running on fumes. Wire are a superb team, but were simply not themselves - they had had to go to the well too often. HKR played with zero stress last year, and have had many weeks off this year, and it shows,

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best team won, thought 19-0 flattered us. Just sat there cringing for two hours at our 'performance'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Most teams have an anthem now I think Wires could be " In the year 2525" with a question mark on the date 

I love the fact that the wikipedia article for 1955 mentions Warrington winning the championship, in between all of the "Elvis Presley releases his first single", "ITV makes its first broadcast", "Warsaw Pact formed", "Polio vaccine introduced" types stuff 🙂

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

My theory is that some teams are simply exhausted, after last year’s COVID year, and this year’s stresses. The players have had to perform under pressure, under the shadow of the pandemic, and some have played a lot more games than others. I am not at all surprised to see teams running on fumes. Wire are a superb team, but were simply not themselves - they had had to go to the well too often. HKR played with zero stress last year, and have had many weeks off this year, and it shows,

I think it's a bit simpler than that. Sometimes you just get these stories in sport. Hull KR have done well and they clicked and played an excellent game tonight, tactically perfect. 

Wire, ultimately are a decent team of players, but ultimately we have poor tactics and playing philosophy and as good as some of the players are, you will get found out at key times. 

I expect this will be KR's peak, but they should enjoy it, times like this are often more fun enjoyable than winning things. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Last night Wigan lost to Leeds who played one game less in the regular season. Tonight Wire lost to Hull KR who also played just one game fewer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I’m not the biggest Wire fan, but there was something sad about Williams’ desperate kick and chase in front of a few hundred home fans, drowned out by the HKR hordes. 

Fair enough, we were actually worse than Wigan tonight.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Best team won, thought 19-0 flattered us. Just sat there cringing for two hours at our 'performance'.

I know nothing will cheer you up right now, but if there's anything it's that Powell won't have club favourites here and will bring a different approach and mentality. The best sign yet is that he's replacing the entire first-team coaching structure and backroom staff. All players will have a clean slate, but also can't rely on past reputation.

Admittedly not much consolation after such an anti-climax of a season-end.

Outstanding, well done Rovers. Proper team effort, working their backsides off for each other throughout with some superb game management from Abdull.

Plenty of errors in the first half in particular but entertaining stuff and guaranteed a new team in the GF. Both Wigan and Wire nilled at home in one weekend. Lovely jubbly 🙂

Made up for Tony Smith too, top coach.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Fair enough, we were actually worse than Wigan tonight.

Tbf, we have had so much practice, we have mastered the art of the high effort scoreless performance. The league will be all the better next year with Price and Lam back home. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it's a bit simpler than that. Sometimes you just get these stories in sport. Hull KR have done well and they clicked and played an excellent game tonight, tactically perfect. 

Wire, ultimately are a decent team of players, but ultimately we have poor tactics and playing philosophy and as good as some of the players are, you will get found out at key times. 

Yes. I think both teams were pretty frantic right from the outset. Once Rovers took the lead, they were able to get a bit of composure and channel their desperation into defence, whereas Warrington edged over into panic. I guess that's where you're looking for Widdop & Williams to take charge and impose some order, in the way that Abdull & Mike Lewis were able to do, but it just didn't happen. 

Jordan Abdul & Mikey Lewis we’re both outstanding and are possibly the best England qualified half back pairing in the League.

Williams was anonymous throughout the game, Ratchford had a mare and Widdop was marked out of the match.

Archived