Jump to content

Toulouse imploding


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Once now 2 times a year, come on its either Super League or Mickey Mouse League 30 staff max for 3 nights including flights will be around 12/15K if a club moans at that they they really should not be in SL simple as that.

 

Paul

Indeed. How do Welsh, northern Irish, Estonian, Moldovan etc clubs afford to fly all over far flung parts of Europe for early round uefa cup games yet SL clubs can’t make two trips to France each year without someone else paying for them. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Indeed. How do Welsh, northern Irish, Estonian, Moldovan etc clubs afford to fly all over far flung parts of Europe for early round uefa cup games yet SL clubs can’t make two trips to France each year without someone else paying for them. 

TBF Eddie, my response was to Paul’s ‘madness’ comment of flying in and out in a day, when for some clubs it isn’t.  

Whether its ‘mickey mouse’ or not, that was just a deflection on my point.

Ignoring the recent Covid years,  if we consider 2019 season under (year of Camp Nou game) Hull, Hull KR and London (twice) beat Cats at Brutus.  2018 season they lost 4 games then 2017 it was 7 losses at home.  The improvements for Catalans have come about during the appointment of McNamara from late 2018 onwards.

I think the reason Clubs only go for a day now is a balance of cost and the medical staff/physio advice, based on player performance, so really, far from ‘madness’.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

TBF Eddie, my response was to Paul’s ‘madness’ comment of flying in and out in a day, when for some clubs it isn’t.  

Whether its ‘mickey mouse’ or not, that was just a deflection on my point.

Ignoring the recent Covid years,  if we consider 2019 season under (year of Camp Nou game) Hull, Hull KR and London (twice) beat Cats at Brutus.  2018 season they lost 4 games then 2017 it was 7 losses at home.  The improvements for Catalans have come about during the appointment of McNamara from late 2018 onwards.

I think the reason Clubs only go for a day now is a balance of cost and the medical staff/physio advice, based on player performance, so really, far from ‘madness’.

I really doubt that the medical/physio advice favours an early start,getting through the airport,spending 2.5 hrs sat on an airliner in a pressurised atmosphere & then playing a game of high level professional sport a few hours later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

If its good enough for Manchester United et all to nip in and out of Europe  ASAP then its good enough for all.......🤷‍♂️ the flight is the most expensive part so cost not really a factor I don't think. 

But they don’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

You’ve quoted a fair few things in your time on here Paul without substance when asked so it’s quite reasonable to be challenged when saying it’s madness to fly in and out in a day.

Clubs might just consider that player recovery is not as jeopardised as was once thought of the 1 day trips.  They might also have considered whether players lazing around a golf hotel/club or hotel in Spain was good for retaining energy levels.  
Some clubs complained about the Mas DHuston noise levels from late events that were not notified to them.

 

Weddings/functions would be a problem however its a big complex they could have been housed well away from the main building.

All I used to see was a happy band of players lounging by the pool and for those that went back on a Monday a day at the beach however to be fair this was 15 years ago.

With the lack of European and international travel for a top rugby league player i am sure that the majority would be happy with a few days in France:)

 

Paul

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I really doubt that the medical/physio advice favours an early start,getting through the airport,spending 2.5 hrs sat on an airliner in a pressurised atmosphere & then playing a game of high level professional sport a few hours later.

Based on what Dave?  I saw very few teams do much other than laze about, go onto the golf driving range or went down to the harbour in st.cyprien plage. 

I do remember seeing Saints, Wire, Leeds do some running up to Canet and then light ball work with a swim after but I don’t know what other facilities clubs tried to use (Uni, Esteve, USAP etc)

Would be interesting to see whether the decision is purely cost related or their is some fitness implication.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Weddings/functions would be a problem however its a big complex they could have been housed well away from the main building.

All I used to see was a happy band of players lounging by the pool and for those that went back on a Monday a day at the beach however to be fair this was 15 years ago.

With the lack of European and international travel for a top rugby league player i am sure that the majority would be happy with a few days in France:)

 

Paul

 

And golf presentations.  

So what is the madness you speak about?  It’s a genuine question because most teams seemed to be adopting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

And golf presentations.  

So what is the madness you speak about?  It’s a genuine question because most teams seemed to be adopting it.

Lowdesert I just personally think that in this day and age for a professional sports team to fly into France (The South as well) play a match and fly out again is madness.

 

Thats my personal opinion but maybe the players feel differently the lure of being back in Wigan by 10pm to make the pub before closing time is maybe too much:)

 

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Lowdesert I just personally think that in this day and age for a professional sports team to fly into France (The South as well) play a match and fly out again is madness.

 

Thats my personal opinion but maybe the players feel differently the lure of being back in Wigan by 10pm to make the pub before closing time is maybe too much:)

 

Paul

Why specifically is it madness though?

They are there to do a job.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is not all of the full report as the fine details require membership but it suggests that there is an affect (which we know really) but it’s not as pronounced as perceived to be.  The report refers to ‘without crossing timezones’ - well, we do cross one in a 2 hour flight to TO or CAts.

The results suggest that short haul air travel without crossing time zones results in symptoms of travel fatigue but does not appear to negatively impact on elite RL players ability to perform strength and power tasks. Different game tactics (attacking vs. defensive) occurred between home and away games however, it is unclear whether travel fatigue or a home advantage (HA) is associated with this finding.”

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/figure/10.1080/17461391.2011.654270?scroll=top&needAccess=true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, kiggy said:

https://www.to13.com/a-la-une/breaking-le-to-signe-olly-ashall-bott/ 

Just need a half or two and a couple of props now 

To be honest I don’t know they they aren’t trying for James Maloney and Sam Moa, if they aren’t, and then put Casty around the spin for another year. Short term problems solved.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/02/2022 at 10:55, Davo5 said:

I really doubt that the medical/physio advice favours an early start,getting through the airport,spending 2.5 hrs sat on an airliner in a pressurised atmosphere & then playing a game of high level professional sport a few hours later.

The wait in the airport can be the time to fuel correctly and relax. 

It may not be ideal but it's certainly possible and you can plan accordingly, I don't see an issue 

Edited by David Dockhouse Host
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moa is defence coach at the Catalan, casty coach at Toulouse and Toulouse elite, I can't see him coming out of retirement, I can't see Maloney giving up the well paid easy life of traveling and playing in the elite comp to lose with toulouse every week 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, daz39 said:

Shame to lose OAB but he was only going to be a squad player at Fartown, he's a smashing kid with plenty of talent and i hope he enjoys his time over there, plus we get a transfer fee.

Just going to post something similar Daz.  He's a good lad, shame to let him go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Shame to lose OAB but he was only going to be a squad player at Fartown, he's a smashing kid with plenty of talent and i hope he enjoys his time over there, plus we get a transfer fee.

What a fabulous opportunity for him to live in another country, learn the language and about the culture etc. It’s a shame that RL doesn’t offer the same opportunities in that regard as many other sports. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Moa is defence coach at the Catalan, casty coach at Toulouse and Toulouse elite, I can't see him coming out of retirement, I can't see Maloney giving up the well paid easy life of traveling and playing in the elite comp to lose with toulouse every week 

I expect they will have chased Maloney but he must be happily semi retired playing in the French Elite 1.

I’m sure Toulouse will bring a player in from the NRL but few players are available and even when a deal is done visas etc then need to go through  (or 2 if Kheirallah leaves and frees up another quota spot) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does it not take less time to fly from say Manchester to Perpignan than it does to take the train from say Newcastle to Leigh? I'd have thought the flight would be less fatiguing than travelling fro Hull to St Helens as by coach. 

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Does it not take less time to fly from say Manchester to Perpignan than it does to take the train from say Newcastle to Leigh? 

Not sure if there is an airport in Leigh, but I know from reading this forum that there isn't a railway station

Edited by Wanderer
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...