This has already been touched on in the attendances thread. The players obviously don't support the two games and it's obvious to all why this is the case. Additionally the second Easter Monday game is poorly attended and is usually a fairly poor standard of game.

Tradition seems a fairly poor reason for continuing when there are no real benefits. If we saw bumper Easter Monday crowds I could understand it. However we don't and clubs usually get below average crowds.

It only seems to have become a problem since superleague started. The first 100 years of our game the easter programme seemed to go by without such issues.

We can abandon it and extend the season by 1 week i suppose. Thats one less week to rest up and prepare for any internationals, world cups, post season recuperation. Or we can play the second game instead of the magic round.

Doesnt seem like there is an easy option.

8 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

It only seems to have become a problem since superleague started. The first 100 years of our game the easter programme seemed to go by without such issues.

We can abandon it and extend the season by 1 week i suppose. Thats one less week to rest up and prepare for any internationals, world cups, post season recuperation. Or we can play the second game instead of the magic round.

Doesnt seem like there is an easy option.

Or start the season a week earlier.

The plan for 2020 was one game over Easter before covid hit. I imagine it would have happened this year but we need to finish the season early for the World Cup (we have another double weekend over the August Bank Holiday).

I reckon this will be the last we see of the Easter double header.

Been to Salford v CD today - SRD look completely busted.

The game has moved on, I’m afraid having a home fixture guaranteed over Easter should no longer be….guaranteed.

47 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

It needs sorting. One round over Easter spread over all 4 days is the way to go, surely.

That's how the NRL handle it. It is such a physical game, it beggars belief. Only decision makers who care nothing for the welfare of the players and simply see the financial gain would continue with it. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Who wants to see knackered players backing up with a sub-standard performance on Easter Monday? Just because that's what we got used to in the "good old days". We should be aiming for something better than that, even before player welfare comes into consideration.

Just sell the hell out of one special "event" Bank Holiday round - we have more than enough regular season fixtures as it is. But the club chairmen will be reluctant.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought the whole purpose of the reserve league was to give teams a bigger playing squad. This alongside academy's gives each team nearly 70 players. Now if you can't play 3 games in 7 days with 70 players there is something wrong. 

There is no reason to play injured players, maybe hall is just too old to be playing so many games a year or certainly 3 in 7 days! 

I don't see an issue with the scheduling and non TV games don't have to be played next Friday night, they can move them to Sat, Sun or even Monday! 

Also the posts relating to attendances, you need to factor in Skys viewing figures too.

21 minutes ago, Phil W said:

It's ridiculous, in fact just as ridiculous as almost all Championship clubs playing Thursday and Sunday over the Jubilee weekend. Imagine what those Sunday games will be like!

And most of them will have been at work all week too!! Plain daft.

Do away with the bash for me

Rare unanimity on TRL regarding the Easter fixture programme - Chairman and Administrators take note.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Phil W said:

It's ridiculous, in fact just as ridiculous as almost all Championship clubs playing Thursday and Sunday over the Jubilee weekend. Imagine what those Sunday games will be like!

Too many games.

We have to shoehorn them in somewhere.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I thought the whole purpose of the reserve league was to give teams a bigger playing squad. This alongside academy's gives each team nearly 70 players. Now if you can't play 3 games in 7 days with 70 players there is something wrong. 

There is no reason to play injured players, maybe hall is just too old to be playing so many games a year or certainly 3 in 7 days! 

I don't see an issue with the scheduling and non TV games don't have to be played next Friday night, they can move them to Sat, Sun or even Monday! 

Also the posts relating to attendances, you need to factor in Skys viewing figures too.

There is no way any SL club has anywhere near 70 SL standard players. Not even half that. SL games shouldn't be about 2 academy teams playing each other.

Historically i think easter was exploited because it was the only bank holiday weekend when the game was played in the winter months. People were off work and there was less to do and attendance figures spiralled. This tradition has remained but like others have said , Monday seems to be no longer so sttractive to many supporters.

It needs to be scrapped , but if only one home takes place the away club will moan about lost revenue. So we could then reverse the fixture over either the May or Spring BH weekends to even things out.

Starting season one week early would be needed. However if it was my call i would scrap magic but i tealise that would not be popular

All the talk of scrapping Magic or starting or finishing the season 1 week earlier or later is because we are trying to squeeze 27 rounds into a 12 team competition.  Why not just play 22 rounds (or 23 with Magic as an additional fixture) and drive the quality up as well.  Hell, we could even get the Super League teams into the Challenge Cup earlier.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

All the talk of scrapping Magic or starting or finishing the season 1 week earlier or later is because we are trying to squeeze 27 rounds into a 12 team competition.  Why not just play 22 rounds (or 23 with Magic as an additional fixture) and drive the quality up as well.  Hell, we could even get the Super League teams into the Challenge Cup earlier.

fewer games means less  revenue from fans and presumably from TV contracts.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Hmm 🤔 I wonder if the players would consider reducing their contracts to reflect the fewer games they would be playing anf also to help recoup dome of the clubs lost invome

Archived