Wilkin

Having watched the Myler incident back and listening to Wilkin almost reaching orgasm level with his appreciation of it what's everyone's take on it, is it like Wilkin said a brilliant clever bit of play or as Clarke said afterwards an absolute disgrace?.

Personally i think Wilkin didn't help the situation (in general not just last night) by bigging Myler up for 'cheating' nor will he have helped endear people to Sky's already highly criticised coverage.

I hate to see cheating in any sport by any team or player but to hear a prominent member of our sports presentation team 100% condoning it as a brilliant thing to do is quite disappointing, if we want to eradicate bad stuff from our game the last thing we need is it being promoted live on air.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Having watched the Myler incident back and listening to Wilkin almost reaching orgasm level with his appreciation of it what's everyone's take on it, is it like Wilkin said a brilliant clever bit of play or as Clarke said afterwards an absolute disgrace?.

Personally i think Wilkin didn't help the situation (in general not just last night) by bigging Myler up for 'cheating' nor will he have helped endear people to Sky's already highly criticised coverage.

I hate to see cheating in any sport by any team or player but to hear a prominent member of our sports presentation team 100% condoning it as a brilliant thing to do is quite disappointing, if we want to eradicate bad stuff from our game the last thing we need is it being promoted live on air.

Seems like he has his opinion and you have yours and he's paid for his opinion. 

In a way, they are both right. On a meta level, it would be preferable in an ideal world if that type of gamesmanship didn't happen in rugby league. Clarke is right in that respect.

However, we don't live in an ideal world. This is where Wilkin comes in. He accepts that gamesmanship goes on, and he recognised that - as an act of s**thousery - it was kind of genius, and it led directly to Leeds' victory.  

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2

Didn’t see last nights game but you get this in NRL with commentators - especially Mick Ennis I’ve noticed - saying things like ‘ he’s milked that wonderfully ‘ or how ‘he’s been really clever winning that penalty ‘ . I tend to be more on the side of saying no it’s cheating mate , but if the ref buys it I get what he’s saying 

• Like 3

It was bad for the game, especially by someone like Myler who isn't someone to be admired off field. I am sure everyone will agree judged by the thread about treating women 😊

At least Wilkin called it for what it was. 

For us Bulls fans, there has been nothing more humiliating than Leeds bailing us out when we had no players.

I'd like to thank Richie Myler for giving us our self repect back. We can now re-commence mutual dislike in the relationship between the Mighty Bulls and Dirty Dirty Leeds.

Avast !! Scrotes on the Eastern Flank!

😁

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The consensus seems to be its now ok to lift and drop a player on his head and the Ref ignore it if:

A its a Leeds player

B if it stops Leeds winning the game  

C its Richie Myler as everyones in love with Helen Skelton and he’s a B’stard for leaving her.

Edited by Live after death
  • Like 5

I suspect Wilkin is the one paid to be controversial these days?

Anyone condoning cheating in sport can F-right off for me though, it's why I have zero interest in the premier league anymore, cheating and gamesmanship has become part of the game, "he felt contact so he's entitled to cheat" etc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, meast said:

I suspect Wilkin is the one paid to be controversial these days?

Anyone condoning cheating in sport can F-right off for me though, it's why I have zero interest in the premier league anymore, cheating and gamesmanship has become part of the game, "he felt contact so he's entitled to cheat" etc

No they ‘ win ‘ free kicks with clever play , and they ‘ anticipated contact ‘ 😂

• Like 4

Do I sometimes get frustrated with Wilkin?

For sure.

Are there some phrases that he uses that make me want to throw the cat at the TV?

For sure.

Are there any that I can think of at the moment?

Not really.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Do I sometimes get frustrated with Wilkin?

For sure.

Are there some phrases that he uses that make we want to throw the cat at the TV?

For sure.

Are there any that I can think of at the moment?

Not really.

' minerals ' 

1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

I am against cheating in any sport, but Myler didn't do anything wrong in this.  Yes, he moved himself into that position, but he didn't then slam his head towards the ground and it didn't need to be done by the defender.

Yes he did. He lifted his own legs into the air. Hill didn't go anywhere near his legs.

• Like 1

Myler jumped, but Hill then had hold of him upside down and released him mid-air to fall on his shoulders/head. Dumb, unnecessary play from both of them, if you ask me.

I think it has to be a penalty against the tackler. Myler did go down to the ground dangerously, with Hill contributing. 

The referee should have warned them both.

Not an incident that reflects well on either party. I liked Clarke's words post-game in the studio.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, metallithrax said:

I am against cheating in any sport, but Myler didn't do anything wrong in this.  Yes, he moved himself into that position, but he didn't then slam his head towards the ground and it didn't need to be done by the defender.

The whole idea of that sort of tackle technique is so the defender can't move. Myler knew this and he was never getting a quick play the ball, I encourage anyone to try and lift a player from that position like Chris Hill is supposed to have done, it is really hard to get the leverage without trying really hard and you can see if you watch Chris Hill he is really not trying to lift him. Myler put himself in a dangerous position trying to win a penalty and if he injured himself doing it then he would have been to blame. Ian Watson is quite a calm bloke and he knew exactly what had gone on in that tackle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

No it doesn't. It was a disgusting comment from a grub ex-player who seems intent on being a grub pundid.

Phil Clark was spot on, if what Myler did is to be admired the game is dead.

It makes for better TV if someone is offering a controversial, different opinion or playing devils advocate. Or at least that’s the theory. It’s quite common in punditry and has been prevalent in Rugby League for some time. 

It seemed to be Phil Clarke’s job for many years. He’d ask “could that be a penalty try Stuart?” to Stuart Cummings when it would clearly not be in the history of man, he’d make outlandish statements about Dr Marwan leading Salford out at Old Trafford and he made some odd comments. 

As for “disgusting comments” wasn’t it Phil who said that Rob Burrow deserved to be injured? He’s still in a job. 

Edited by Jughead

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

As for “disgusting comments” wasn’t it Phil who said that Rob Burrow deserved to be injured? He’s still in a job. 

It was Danny McGuire but yes. He's happy to be involved in the sort of sport where a commentator thinks players deserve  injury but thinks Richie Myler playing for a penalty is outrageous.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 15:49, Niels said:

It was bad for the game, especially by someone like Myler who isn't someone to be admired off field. I am sure everyone will agree judged by the thread about treating women 😊

You have absolutely no idea what went on with myler and his wife, you only have her version of it. If you don't like him as a player fine but don't comment on his private life you nothing about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loiner said:
On 25/08/2022 at 15:49, Niels said:

You have absolutely no idea what went on with myler and his wife, you only have her version of it. If you don't like him as a player fine but don't comment on his private life you nothing about.

The insinuation that a marriage breaking down is in any way similar to mistreating women is pretty vile.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, M j M said:

It was Danny McGuire but yes. He's happy to be involved in the sort of sport where a commentator thinks players deserve  injury but thinks Richie Myler playing for a penalty is outrageous.

Except that isn't what he said.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The insinuation that a marriage breaking down is in any way similar to mistreating women is pretty vile.

Exactly