Huddersfield sign 26 year old Kiwi centre Esan Marsters.

Is he any good, I guess he must be having represented his country.

Huddersfield Giants have secured the signing of New Zealand International goal kicking centre, Esan Marsters on a 2 year deal. The 26 year old powerhouse moved to Australia from Auckland and signed with the Sydney Roosters academy. A move to the Wests Tigers was to come and Marsters made his debut in the NRL in 2017 and made 61 appearances for the Western Sydney club over a 3 year period in the same team as current Giant Chris McQueen. 

Marsters was described as “a revelation at right centre” and was the top points scorer for the Tigers in 2018 before joining the North Queensland Cowboys in 2020. A spell for the Gold Coast Titans came in 2021 before getting the call from Ian Watson.

Huddersfield Giants Head Coach, Ian Watson said “Esan is an amazing attacking threat with ball in hand but is a player who is willing to do the tough things for his team in defence so will be a huge addition to our squad for 2023. He’s a player I have watched and admired from a far for a number of years now, most memorably watching him tear it up at West Tigers and New Zealand against England in 2018/2019. He’s a player who is equally at home on both sides of the field and has the ability to play in a few positions."

Esan Marsters said: “I spoke to Ian Watson, we had a good conversation, he touched on a few details that are really important to me, speaking about my footy career and how I have been playing in the NRL. It was more so the conversation I had with him and plus Kevin (Naiqama) some of the boys I was with at the Tigers are in the Huddersfield team, so it made a bit easier for me.” 

“I am a ball runner, a ball attacker, I’ve been really working on my defence here in the NRL and it’s an area that me and Watto spoke about when we had our original conversation. He spoke about the way he wants to defend and how I fit into that. You know, I have been moving around into different systems so now hopefully this will be a system that I can fit into” 

"It’s massive for me, coming over and experiencing what England is like, doing some travelling but also, it’s a great opportunity to concentrate and enjoy my footy in the Super League. You know it is a really tough league, I’ve been watching a few games. Hopefully I can help out wherever I can in the team and build on these last few weeks and months when I come to Huddersfield."

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

At his best, a very good player, and his kicking skills will of course be valuable. Recently he hasn't had much of a profile. It mostly depends on the attitude he brings with him. If he's serious, I think he could be very useful. Even if he's only serious about putting himself back in the shop window for NRL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So. No Wardle then. If it’s true he’s Wigan-bound for 2024 then he must be spending a year on loan somewhere? The little spat with Warrington resolved yet? 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

I think Marsters is a quality centre.  It is a good signing. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Was a gun player as the Aussies say when he first broke into the 1st team at west tigers but faded badly when he left.

could be wrong but I’m sure I read somewhere that he had fallen out of love with the game a couple of seasons ago due to off-the field issues.

I also get the feeling that he was converted into a centre after playing his youth RL as a backrower.

4 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Done nothing for the last 3 years and struggled to get in some of the worst teams in the NRL

Will no doubt be a world beater over here due to the massive gap between SL and NRL

If an ancient Shaun Kenny Dowell and Tim Lafai can make the SL dream team then there is no reason Masters cant be a fantastic SL centre.

5 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Maybe the style of play here will rejuvenate him as, based on his early career form, there is a quality outside back in there but little to show for the last 3 years or so.

I think this is a good summary. Ordinary on current form, but lots of upside in terms of what he can potentially produce. Going to be a good reflection of coaching either way next year.

Watson has a good recent track record of revitalising NRL players who had talent but for one reason or another never consistently put it together during the early stages of their career. 

Hastings, Lolohea, Joey Lussick, Sio, Yates, bit older now but certainly a revitalised career for Chris McQueen, I'm happy to back his track record here as I like many others have said highly rated Marsters when he first burst onto the scene. A player that has a few dimensions to him, was very good playing in the halves for Cook Islands earlier in the year, played centre for NZ, came through the grades as a backrower. Ultimately a combination of Watson's ideas for him and the attitude he brings will determine how successful he is.

• Like 2

A fresh start might be what he needs.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes, because he was a classy player when he first came through. He seems to have slipped back, but the looser, less defensively taxing nature of SL might allow his attacking qualities to shine once again.

14 hours ago, Damien said:

We are well in the way to a full house when it comes to opinions of any NRL player signed by a SL club. No matter the player it's always the same!

To be fair he has helped us a bit by saying he has come for a holiday within the press release itself.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 hours ago, arcticchris said:

there is a quality outside back in there but little to show for the last 3 years or so.

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

A fresh start might be what he needs.

I agree with this . Let’s not forget he was not only one of the leading centres in the NRL but a Test regular for New Zealand . He’s just turned 26 . This could be a very very shrewd acquisition 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

So. No Wardle then. If it’s true he’s Wigan-bound for 2024 then he must be spending a year on loan somewhere? The little spat with Warrington resolved yet? 

Jake Wardle will be back at Huddersfield for pre-season training.

Be nice to see a recognised goalkicker too, should be a solid signing for us and sounds like a direct replacement for Leutele, Wardle if he comes back into the frame would, i imagine be Leroy/Naiqama's long term replacement.

15 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Done nothing for the last 3 years and struggled to get in some of the worst teams in the NRL

Will no doubt be a world beater over here due to the massive gap between SL and NRL

And isn't that what our competition needs? We need players to improve OUR teams and our comps, who cares what he did in the last few years. IF he plays well in our competition then that's a good thing is it not?