Sat 24th Sept: SLGF: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 17:30

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

That was a high quality game. It was intense and ferocious but played in the right spirit. Saints' execution was on a different level but Leeds refusal to buckle and their ability to counter attack kept the game alive as a contest.

Yes, and had Leeds a creative half-back combination..and a plan...the result would have been much closer. Credit Smith too, for getting Leeds to the GF in such a short time at the helm.

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

Saints win is on the front page of the BBC News site.  Not often Rugby League shifts over from sport to news (for a positive reason anyway).

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Guardian report concludes that this is the greatest team ever to play rugby league (I assume in the NH, given that I recall St George had a bit of a run a while ago…). 

I never used to to read the Guardian, I do now for it's comedy value. Sky and the Grauniad calling Saints the best RL team ever is absolutely conclusive proof that they aren't. 

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Might be. They still won't be interested.

Yep - says more about the mentality of that club than anything else - if your assumptions are true.

They tried once, got well beaten so won't try again.... Great representation of the NRL - just hope they lose next week so we can truly see who is the best team in the world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, and had Leeds a creative half-back combination..and a plan...the result would have been much closer. Credit Smith too, for getting Leeds to the GF in such a short time at the helm.

Compare Smith’s approach to a failing Leeds team to that of Powell’s to a failing Warrington team

Leeds hung in in the first half but even after Hurrells try at the start of the second half I thought that killed the game as Saints were never going to give that lead up and Leeds just didn't offer enough in attack. Whoever takes over from Woolf just has to keep doing what they have been doing and doesn't have to change anything and I can't see anyone stopping them next year either.

3 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

Compare Smith’s approach to a failing Leeds team to that of Powell’s to a failing Warrington team

You can't really judge until the end of next season as that is obviously what Powell is building towards, for better or worse.

1 hour ago, Nate90 said:

We'll never attract new people to our sport if St Helens keeps winning

No, we will. Maybe not too many admittedly. And they'll be Saints "supporters"!

Just like Wigan in the early 90s. (Or Liverpool FC throughout the country then, now, and in the future.)

• Haha 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

12 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

In both cases it's about working with what you have to create a team. It's about more than acquiring players. It's about teaching them to be better at what they do, not leaving it to chance.

• Like 1

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

You can't really judge until the end of next season as that is obviously what Powell is building towards, for better or worse.

We will also see what Smith does too. 

I'm sure James Lowes even did well at Wire on a short term basis. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I meant we cant judge both Smith and Powell until then. Two different approaches, one of which effectively wrote off this season, so you can't judge the success of either yet.

• Like 1

Fair play to Leeds for sticking in the game.

I thought Saints looked very impressive and played the first half at something akin to NRL Finals intensity. It could easily have been a four-score game at HT. The try on HT was lovely and creative from Leeds.

Lomax and Welsby were both very important in pulling the creative strings.

Enjoyable game, albeit a totally predictable outcome.

Edited by StandOffHalf

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Dave, it's been a long year can we not

• Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Well played Saints best team won, but I'm proud of our lads they never gave up. On the down side the sweet and lovely person Leeds fans that were fighting amongst themselves should be ashamed, dragged the clubs name into the gutter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andyscoot said:

Congratulations Saints, clearly the better team all season.

Mention for Leeds too to get to that final aswell.

Add Dodds 

3 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Imagine that team plus Lewis Dodds...

Add Dodds , who do you lose ? 

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Some very harsh comments about the empty seats in the Saints end. They were just the reserved areas for Johnny Vegas and Stephen Bunting.🙄

Johnny Vegas about as funny as a fire in an old folks home.

Game went as expected really. As has been said all season, the overall standard of the league hasn’t been great and I don’t think there’s ever been such a gulf between first and fifth. An amazing effort for Leeds to get there with the games they’ve had to win, but tonight there were a little reminiscent of the team that started the season rather than the one that has finished. Don’t think Saints even got out of second gear.

My two penneth of the ‘greatest team’ discussion is that the (lack of) overall strength of the league means Saints aren’t really worthy of mention alongside the Wigan sides of the 80s and 90s. Maybe some of the younger lads will go on to have great careers, but Roby aside I don’t think there will be many of them that we will be reeling off in 30 years in the same manner as those Wigan sides (or even some of the Saints and Leeds sides in the SL era)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Game went as expected really. As has been said all season, the overall standard of the league hasn’t been great and I don’t think there’s ever been such a gulf between first and fifth. An amazing effort for Leeds to get there with the games they’ve had to win, but tonight there were a little reminiscent of the team that started the season rather than the one that has finished. Don’t think Saints even got out of second gear.

My two penneth of the ‘greatest team’ discussion is that the (lack of) overall strength of the league means Saints aren’t really worthy of mention alongside the Wigan sides of the 80s and 90s. Maybe some of the younger lads will go on to have great careers, but Roby aside I don’t think there will be many of them that we will be reeling off in 30 years in the same manner as those Wigan sides (or even some of the Saints and Leeds sides in the SL era)

It’s always the same when they are still playing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Ah but they'd have to leave someone out to fit him in. Who?

I expect wellsby back to FB, Lomax/Dodds as half back pairing would be the ideal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I can’t see any other winner next year, but now my heart issues have hopefully been sorted out, I have high hopes I will see the day I see someone else win a GF again. 

But apparently if we're true supporters, we're meant to be able to enjoy Saints winning it every year. 😉