James Child

I believe that is 19 officials at the professional and semi-professional level who have left since Steve Ganson has been in charge of the RFL referees department now (two having returned).

The referee pool is shrinking and that's bad news for the sport.

• Like 6

Just now, Ragingbull said:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. 

Feel free to have a go as a Ref mate. You can spend your weekends travelling all over the country to be abused from the sidelines by one man and his dog- then if you can handle that progress to SL and get abused by thousands- and no dogs. 

Let me know when its your first game and I'll come and support you as no one should recive abuse for reffing a game of RL. Good luck to the lad.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Feel free to have a go as a Ref mate. You can spend your weekends travelling all over the country to be abused from the sidelines by one man and his dog- then if you can handle that progress to SL and get abused by thousands- and no dogs. 

Let me know when its your first game and I'll come and support you as no one should recive abuse for reffing a game of RL. Good luck to the lad.

Yep, it’s hard to even get a ref for games outside the heartlands. No surprise when you have to go to the M62 to even do the course. 

• Like 3

I generally found him to be a bit pedantic as a ref, which often disrupted the flow of the game. However, he was fair and consistent in how he reffed - the same rules applied to both sides, which is all you can ask from a ref. He perhaps didn't have the aura/stature on the pitch to maintain control of games that became heated.................however, my view is that it's the players responsibility to control their own actions and therefore this isn't really a fault of the ref. Players should also learn to adapt their game when Child was reffing - you know you cannot get away with some things you do with other refs, as he's very much by the book - so don't push the boundaries.

He certainly got a lot of unfair criticism from fans, and whilst he probably won't be missed by many, I think he was generally a good ref and hope he stays involved in the game in some capacity

• Like 2

Whatever his good and bad points, losing another very experienced referee is probably not a good sign for 2023.

Particularly as we need to have a much better year with refereeing and especially disciplinary than 2022 was (something which, based on the eye-watering public feedback, will be a much bigger focus for IMG than what to call the competition).

• Like 1

No love lost between him and Wakefield fans. 

He's leaving to concentrate on his Chartered Surveyor career in the construction industry.  Hopefully it's too late for him to put a spanner in the works currently going on at Belle Vue. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

As someone who has reffed both football and RL and by general consensus was complete ' Gash ' at both it's a shame to lose another experienced ref , just like everybody he had good days at work and bad days , his bad days always seemed to coincide with losses for my team , and his good days when we won , strange that ? 🤔 

Interesting last night to hear the ' experts ' on BBCs coverage of the footy WC final extolling the virtues of having a ref that used to play football , but I doubt we'll see messrs Linaker,Ferdinand or that failed football manager Shearer giving up their highly paid ' punditry ' contracts where they get to talk complete BLX and blame everybody including refs for just about everything to take up the whistle 

Apologies to Mr Child's for all the times I gave you grief , best of luck in your future career , as long as you don't become an architect because they are all complete XXXXs that think they know everything 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

No love lost between him and Wakefield fans. 

He's leaving to concentrate on his Chartered Surveyor career in the construction industry.  Hopefully it's too late for him to put a spanner in the works currently going on at Belle Vue. 

At one time i would have agreed with you on this. However as the years passed , i thought he mellowed and improved over time.

However ! Jack Smith and Kendal , if those two retired that would be a great Christmas present. Infact after his showing as a touch judge, Smith needs the sack not retirement.

10 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

At one time i would have agreed with you on this. However as the years passed , i thought he mellowed and improved over time.

However ! Jack Smith and Kendal , if those two retired that would be a great Christmas present. Infact after his showing as a touch judge, Smith needs the sack not retirement.

They shouldn’t be beyond appraisal, without doubt, but in the absence of any up and coming  youngsters to the roster, we need to be careful what we wish for 

Edited by Northern Eel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I believe that is 19 officials at the professional and semi-professional level who have left since Steve Ganson has been in charge of the RFL referees department now (two having returned).

The referee pool is shrinking and that's bad news for the sport.

Well if people are concerned about the numbers comming through, or those that give it a go and not developing. Perhaps the RFL need to start having a good look at the man at the top. From what I saw of the Aussie refs at the World Cup, their attitude and officiating style was like a breath of fresh air . They enhanced the game as opposed to many of our lot who seem to want to stiffle it .

• Like 1

Was he a good ref/bad ref--- no idea I watch the players not the ref. He never seemed to stop me doing that.

Shame an experienced ref is leaving before he should, wish him all the best for his future.

• Like 3

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I do wonder how sustainable full time referees are and I don't mean financically but from an attracting the best talent point of view. He's not the first to give up to pursue his chosen career and won't be the last. Maybe a little more flexibility would make the role more attractive. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Well if people are concerned about the numbers comming through, or those that give it a go and not developing. Perhaps the RFL need to start having a good look at the man at the top. From what I saw of the Aussie refs at the World Cup, their attitude and officiating style was like a breath of fresh air . They enhanced the game as opposed to many of our lot who seem to want to stiffle it .

You mean they ignored the infringements ?