Attendance thread

4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

If two top RU sides go bust with gates over 9K (I'm including Worcester here) and the top division ends a season with fewer clubs than it started with, then I'd question which code has the problems.

Probably both have problems. Just slightly different ones

11 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

If two top RU sides go bust with gates over 9K (I'm including Worcester here) and the top division ends a season with fewer clubs than it started with, then I'd question which code has the problems.

The answer, very obviously, is 'both'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure that's the conclusion I'd come to tbh. And I'll start by saying that Social Media account is one of the most annoying around - nobody even claims his first line, so he just talking gash right from the off. 

But what these numbers do show is that even with all the advantages that RU has, huge international game, grassroots size, lot more money, friends in high places, friendly media etc. their numbers are modest. 

In the same way we haven't been able to move into new territories and do well (Yorkshire, Newcastle and Sale) neither have they. 

One of the things it does show is that in many ways, Union do many of the things we'd love to do and have the money we'd love, but it does show that the size of the clubs is probably not going to be huge. 

The bigger issue is the small clubs at the bottom end. 

I think that has to all be tempered by the fact that union has got to this level from basically nothing 30 years ago. Sorry am at work so not able to give a full reply.

My phone won't let me search anything to do with rah rah so i can't do any research but they have much bigger squads and much higher salaries. Their big event matches inflate their averages and probably don't make them much if any more money due to cheap tickets and high rental costs.  

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I don’t pay close enough attention. I thought they went bust out of season and would be subsequently replaced

I think both were suspended mid season and then relegated to the championship. What then happened is they had to meet certain criteria to restart in the championship or at all. I think their failure to meet that was played out in the off season. 

19 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

What were the crowds at Leeds and Salford?

Leeds irate, Salford ecstatic. 

• Haha 8

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, meast said:

What's the point of that?

Shall we compare crowds at a top English football club with a crowd at a not so big Australian football club?

Boring.

Find a player that went from an English football club to an Australian football club and post about it.

new rise.jpg

19 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that has to all be tempered by the fact that union has got to this level from basically nothing 30 years ago. Sorry am at work so not able to give a full reply.

A point I made only a week ago. I think the topic is very relevant when exploring the success or lack thereof crowd growth since full time professional Rugby League and Union came to life mid nineties. 

Binned by mods, much like many of these comments will be I suspect.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

A point I made only a week ago. I think the topic is very relevant when exploring the success or lack thereof crowd growth since full time professional Rugby League and Union came to life mid nineties. 

Binned by mods, much like many of these comments will be I suspect.

I’ll repeat my response from then: Union did not come from nothing. Its meaningless friendlies (called Club Matches) were accorded the same status as Football League matches during Final Score (then a huge deal) and there were weekly highlights on main BBC - something only soccer got as well.

They might not have had masses week in week out but they did not come from nowhere.

It is an outright lie to say otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’ll repeat my response from then: Union did not come from nothing. Its meaningless friendlies (called Club Matches) were accorded the same status as Football League matches during Final Score (then a huge deal) and there were weekly highlights on main BBC - something only soccer got as well.

They might not have had masses week in week out but they did not come from nowhere.

Weren’t the crowds in the hundreds back then though?

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'd like to add, there was no way they were 100% amateur before officially becoming professional - that simply doesn't happen overnight, no matter how much they claimed that was how events unfolded

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Weren’t the crowds in the hundreds back then though?

No, I remember even a small club like Orrell getting crowds of a few thousand, and up to 5-6,000 when they came close to winning the league in the early 90s. A competition like the Pilkington Cup got big crowds at Twickenham for finals. The crowds club RU get now didn't come from nowhere.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

No, I remember even a small club like Orrell getting crowds of a few thousand, and up to 5-6,000 when they came close to winning the league in the early 90s. A competition like the Pilkington Cup got big crowds at Twickenham for finals. The crowds club RU get now didn't come from nowhere.

It varied massively week to week. I have a friend who was an Ebbw Vale RU supporter - he went to every home game but he was about the only person who did. But when Cardiff, Newport and the like turned up there would be thousands in. And that was the same for the English sides and their big games.

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Find a player that went from an English football club to an Australian football club and post about it.

Off the top of my head i can think of Robbie Fowler, Emile Heskey, Daniel Sturridge, Francis Jeffers who all played for England, i'm sure there will be loads more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pulga said:

Wikipedia highlights 49 players that have done so.

But, Wikipedia have missed off at least one English player from their list as Lloyd Owusu - ex Sheffield Wednesday and about 15 other clubs - played for one season at Adelaide United.  I saw his first appearance.  We got a penalty, just before he took it my phone rang. It was the wife.  I said to her ‘I cannot hear you as Owusu is just about to take a penalty’ and ended the call.  Obviously my wife couldn’t hear me either over the crowd noise as when I got home she said ‘Did one-shoe score the penalty’ …. He didn’t.

So in our house he was christened One-shoe for the rest of the season.