Report: 2025 World Cup on verge of collapse

7 minutes ago, crashmon said:

1) Qatar does not have a RL team, ok but most International RL teams are heritage players anyway, how many Lebanon players live and play RL in Lebanon? Same with Italy, Greece, Ireland, Scotland etc...   Don't see Qatar much different here.  Just pay 21 Aussies $1M each to become Qatari for a few years, job done

This is pretty much what they did for the 2015 Handball World Cup - and they reached the final 🙂 They also paid for some fans to come and cheer for the team. There is a widespread belief that some hefty payments were made to the referees too...

• Like 1

I was delighted with the inclusivity element of the last world cup, but tbh, I'm now pretty peed off that the PDRL, Wheelchair and Women's World Cups beibg so linked to the men's tournament now means that they have been cancelled. 

I think 2021 was a nice way of showing the world that we are inclusive and almost relaunching that element of our game, but I think it is clear for a few reasons that they should now go their own way and form their own paths. We don't need to keep them linked. 

On hosts, I think we have to just accept that we have a reliance on England and Australia. But I also think that is fine.

A host nation should be staging the marquee games, but it is acceptable for Aus and England to stage some games/groups as part of that. NZ could be hosts by staging an opener, two groups, 2 or 3 quarters, two semis and a final. That means they host 17/18 games from 31 and reduces the risk somewhat. 

Same with France, it can be a French WC as long as it hosts the opener, semis, finals plus French group for example. 

A Pacific World Cup can have Aussie Stadiums in support. Same with PNG. 

I'm not against wildcard bids that pump in money, but we are seeing ourselves get burned too many times as we desperately sell ourselves out - USA Test, USA World Cup, TWP, France WC. I don't buy that these things are as harmful externally, plenty of sports have weird things going on, but we do need to get our sh** together as we are neglecting the basics. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Thing is, they've got the stadia and the authorities aren't scared of rounding up the populace to ensure a good crowd for the cameras.

There are plenty of negatives to taking it to Qatar, but the brass and the exposure could be game changing.

It’s not for me personally, like the football WC there wasn’t, but I can appreciate your viewpoint. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Qatar is dirty filthy corrupt money AVOID if we take this it will be disgraceful.

Australia with New Zealand for their group matches and PNG at home in group matches if the Pacific islands nations get at least one game at home as well that would be fantastic.

Paul

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

If there is an opportunity to put that sort of money into the IRL coffers we would be fools to turn it down

For the sake of the international game and the IRL, I’d take the Qatari money. I don’t think we can be choosey here. It may also open some other revenue streams for the sport we hadn’t had previously…

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mojo said:

I live in nz and RU's popularity is lower than ever before. Super Rugby games aren't has full as it used to be. There's hardly any news in nz about the RU world cup this year. I remember in the past it used to be the most exciting thing all year but tbh hardly anyone gives a hoot about it. There's hardly any hype at all over here in nz. The last Rugby league world cup, only 3 teams was talked about. Tonga made a late inclusion but hardly anyone talked them up because they didn't know how they would do with a new star studded team. Going into the next world cup I can guarantee you everyone will be hyped for the Samoan and Tongan team. I remember the RU would cup being held in NZ and it was hyped because the Samoan and Tongan fans hyping the tournament up. Now the Samoan and Tongan fans have almost lost interest in RU completely because of Rugby League. It is a pipe dream that Rugby League will over take RU in nz. But the pacific island fans are definitely dropping in RU.

Hi Mojo, hope you are good.  Just checking on Wikipedia for All Blacks games last year, found that the attendances for their three games against Ireland in 2022 were 48,195, 30,748 and 38,000.  I don't question your knowledge and so I'm guessing that those attendances are down on figures they might have expected in the past?   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Ireland_rugby_union_tour_of_New_Zealand

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

For the sake of the international game and the IRL, I’d take the Qatari money. I don’t think we can be choosey here. It may also open some other revenue streams for the sport we hadn’t had previously…

This is the thing isn't it, it potentially means we build relationships outside our existing ones. Union, Cricket and football events take place all over the world backed by a few long term cross sport sponsors, we have never cultivated such relationships in international RL.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Playing a RLWC in Qatar makes as much sense as having a super league club on the other side of the world…it will never happen, nobody is stupid enough to do that …..oh wait…..

Do you mean the one that was getting great crowds and raising the game's profile at home and abroad before an unforseeable global crisis in covid hit?  Laughable isn't it how some idiots try and expand interest levels in a desperately struggling sport lol !!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hello said:

Do you mean the one that was getting great crowds and raising the game's profile at home and abroad before an unforseeable global crisis in covid hit?  Laughable isn't it how some idiots try and expand interest levels in a desperately struggling sport lol !!!!

Unsustainable, with or without Covid, which is why they have not been welcomed back in the post covid world.

Qatar would be interesting, they could always have Israel folau as tournament ambassador.

4 hours ago, crashmon said:

So this is my thinking

1) Right now International RL does not exist in any meaningful format (yes Tonga are touring the M62), but compared to Union, Cricket, Football, Internationally we are really small beer (smaller than basketball even)
2) International RL does not have a pot to XXXX in

3) We just have had our world cup cancelled owing to financial reasons

4) Finances in the next couple of years are going to shrink not grow, and will become more challenging.

So lets look at Qatar

1) Qatar does not have a RL team, ok but most International RL teams are heritage players anyway, how many Lebanon players live and play RL in Lebanon? Same with Italy, Greece, Ireland, Scotland etc...   Don't see Qatar much different here.  Just pay 21 Aussies $1M each to become Qatari for a few years, job done
2) IRL would make money from the Tournment, it would have a big profit owing to the fact Qatar would basically pay for it all.
3) Very Unlikely Qatar would pull out, I don't trust Aus or NZ from not pulling out or delaying it, they have form here

As much as I hate the idea of playing in Qatar, from a money perspective I think its the best chance IRL will get

In regards to Ireland and those statements.

Ireland play one game this year at home. So its presence is small. 

It is virtually imposible to to play for a player and live and play in Ireland. Players that want to play at any decent level are faced with one choice that is emmigration. 

Each World Cup Ireland has a token player or two with an Irish accent but they get very limited gametime. 

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Qatar is dirty filthy corrupt money AVOID if we take this it will be disgraceful.

Australia with New Zealand for their group matches and PNG at home in group matches if the Pacific islands nations get at least one game at home as well that would be fantastic.

Paul

Not many nations are clean mate. Australia has a terrible history to indigenous culture, UK and the Iraq war is a recent travesty. I am not going to let politics get in the way of salvaging this mess for us.

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Can't say I'm overly worried about the origin of any brass that Qatar may or may not put in. World sport is awash with grubby money so we'd be in very good company.

We could of course take the moral high ground and remain a p!ss poor sport that hardly anyone in the world has heard of, or we could do what all other sports do: Look the other way and use any cash we make to drive the sport forward.

There's a myriad of reasons not to choose Qatar, be it the heat or their LGBT laws or even the treatment of their migrant workers. But again, we either hold our nose and pocket the brass, or we take a moral stand. 

The provenance of the financing should be the least of your concerns.

Personally, I'd bite their hands off. We're not a sport that can afford to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I find myself similarly down your path. I am most concerned with empty stadiums. The event would need a major overhaul. It needs it anyway.

There have been others which have demonstrated concern at RU claiming foul. Since the announcement of Qatar’s interest in hosting the WC, I guarantee you, World Rugby will be sniffing around those $$$$ themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crashmon said:

So this is my thinking

1) Right now International RL does not exist in any meaningful format (yes Tonga are touring the M62), but compared to Union, Cricket, Football, Internationally we are really small beer (smaller than basketball even)
2) International RL does not have a pot to XXXX in

3) We just have had our world cup cancelled owing to financial reasons

4) Finances in the next couple of years are going to shrink not grow, and will become more challenging.

So lets look at Qatar

2) IRL would make money from the Tournment, it would have a big profit owing to the fact Qatar would basically pay for it all.
3) Very Unlikely Qatar would pull out, I don't trust Aus or NZ from not pulling out or delaying it, they have form here

As much as I hate the idea of playing in Qatar, from a money perspective I think its the best chance IRL will get

FYI basketball is the second biggest team sport in the world after soccer, so RL is much smaller than basketball.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If the money is there , take it , ask yourself " What would Union do ? " 

We don't have to fill stadiums 

There was talk of the Rugby Union competition United Rugby Championship ( Old Pro 14) games being held in Qatar.

Nothing has happened so far. 

I couldnt afford to go to Qatar to watch a game. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Has the Qatar idea been made up by this forum in order to generate argument, or is it an actual proposition?

Expressions of interest have come from Qatar, Fiji, NZ and South Africa

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/world-cup/nrl-2023-qatar-rugby-league-world-cup-hosts-south-africa-fiji-and-new-zealand-2025-why-did-france-pull-out-who-will-host/news-story/f2f05bb53746937741e5a1945babd57e

If Qatar are offering the money RL is in no position to turn it down I'd definitely book a flight.

Still think it will go Australia and New Zealand anyway.

And while the expressions of interest from Fiji and SA may be optimistic its great to hear of there interest given some of us worried we may not get a tournament at all when France pulled out 

With FIFA having done the dirty in holding their World Cup in the Sandpit, the public backlash (should there be any) in having a RLWC in the same country would be easily defended by pointing out this precedent. Assuming there's untold millions to be sloshed around to benefit those RL participating nations, then go for it. The money will be put to good use, that's for sure.

I imagine there will be all sorts of inducements and associated benefits for all teams associations and spectators, so there would be plenty on the upside. A bit of opprobrium will soon be forgotten.

Principals? Well, there are plenty of bigger villains than Qatar all over the planet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corkonian77 said:

There was talk of the Rugby Union competition United Rugby Championship ( Old Pro 14) games being held in Qatar.

Nothing has happened so far. 

I couldnt afford to go to Qatar to watch a game. 

Can you afford to go to NZ ? 

Haven't seen anybody mention the connection to PSG , so for me , take it to Quatar , pocket the money , use that money to ' nudge ' France for 2029 , and try to get a Paris team up and running , could I make it there for some games ? , Probably not , but you never know 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Haven't seen anybody mention the connection to PSG , so for me , take it to Quatar , pocket the money , use that money to ' nudge ' France for 2029 , and try to get a Paris team up and running , could I make it there for some games ? , Probably not , but you never know 

Rebirth of PSG!