The Enigmas of Rugby League

No it's not a new book lol, more so players that had it all but never hit the heights for a long period of time, with a big piece of that bring attitude. 

Whilst having discussions either mates and 3 pop up.

Jarrod Sammut

Dane Chisholm

Rangi Chase 

All could have had long SL (in Sammuts case, which I didn't realise NRL) careers but between them have had dozens of clubs. Another with a Bulls connection is Karl Pryce. He was going toe to toe with Vainikolo in his pomp. At 6ft 6 could play hb with great awareness. (A world club challenge winning hb nonetheless).

You can add clubs or situations into the thread.

• Like 2

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

No it's not a new book lol, more so players that had it all but never hit the heights for a long period of time, with a big piece of that bring attitude. 

Whilst having discussions either mates and 3 pop up.

Jarrod Sammut

Dane Chisholm

Rangi Chase 

All could have had long SL (in Sammuts case, which I didn't realise NRL) careers but between them have had dozens of clubs. Another with a Bulls connection is Karl Pryce. He was going toe to toe with Vainikolo in his pomp. At 6ft 6 could play hb with great awareness. (A world club challenge winning hb nonetheless).

You can add clubs or situations into the thread.

SAMMUT pure class and a joy to watch 

CHASE in his prime also

Luke Brooks at Wests. Every now and then, he has a game that reminds you why everyone was so excited when he first appeared on the scene.

But only every now and then.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Ned Smiley said:

Danny Wilson, in his pomp unplayable on other days invisible 

A quote I read about him said something like: " he might be on the pitch but there's no guarantee he's playing."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

To a less an extent (by the fact they had decent length SL careers) someone like Lee Briers or Danny Brough.  When the stars aligned they were unplayable and could almost win a game single handedly.  

Thats not to say they were bad at other times, just that they didn't hit those heights on a consistent basis.

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Simon Haughton.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

To a less an extent (by the fact they had decent length SL careers) someone like Lee Briers or Danny Brough.  When the stars aligned they were unplayable and could almost win a game single handedly.  

Thats not to say they were bad at other times, just that they didn't hit those heights on a consistent basis.

Agree, both are largely forgotten about but both could have played in any team in the world in their prime and been the best player in that team on their day -the  lack of caps for GB/England is amazing really - but at least they served Wales and Scotland well.

Edited by Mr Frisky

27 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Agree, both are largely forgotten about but both could have played in any team in the world in their prime and been the best player in that team on their day -the  lack of caps for GB/England is amazing really - but at least they served Wales and Scotland well.

I think the lack of caps may be related to the enigma bit, you didn't really know what you'd get.  Plus a maybe less than 100% professional off field approach to life.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 28/06/2023 at 14:14, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yep. They were two of my favourite players to watch. 

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

I’d put players like Tommy Martyn and Lee Briers in this category. Both players who on their day would be head and shoulders the best players on the pitch. Neither got the caps they probably deserved. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 12:22, Richard de la Riviere said:

I don’t think he underachieved, but Paul Newlove was often described as an enigma. I’ve got an interview with him coming up in about a month, and it’s a belter! He says what he thinks and he’s great to talk to. 

Did you ask him if he did get the ball down at Old Trafford....because he refused to tell me, just said the ref gave it so....😀

Lovely bloke though, time for anyone.

On 28/06/2023 at 13:02, ATLANTISMAN said:

SAMMUT pure class and a joy to watch 

An incredibly talented player, just looks like he`s playing entirely because he loves to play RL at times. Which is a positive but also sometimes was a negative for him.

• Like 1

Mick Crane.  
Very skilful.  Could do anything with the ball, ghost past tacklers when he wanted and create space, often with his bemusing 360 degree move and all this on 40 fags a day and training when he wanted.  Peter Sterling was amazed by him and club officials bamboozled.  

IIRC one official chased him up in the bookies as the coach was due to set off for Cumbria.  On his return, when asked how long Mick would be he said ‘after the next race’.

Lovely bloke too.

• Thanks 1