Fri 15th Sept: SL: Leigh Leopards v Wakefield Trinity KO 20:00

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/09/23 at 19:30

27 minutes ago, dboy said:

He's just a typical Hudds fan - they are both ######.

When Davy pops off, they're done anyway.

No he isn't, I for one have been rooting for Wakey all season and i'm sorry to see them drop down and i hope they are not long getting back.

Don't bank on your second statement , you'll be sadly disappointed

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leighs social media team being rather classless tonight, they should know as much as anyone how being relegated affects the club and fans, really don’t think they should be taking the ######

Correct, I wonder, while they’re sneering,  if they’ve considered all the off field staff who are likely to lose their jobs in the next week or two.

As you said classless!

9 minutes ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

No he isn't, I for one have been rooting for Wakey all season and i'm sorry to see them drop down and i hope they are not long getting back.

Don't bank on your second statement , you'll be sadly disappointed

That, of course, remains to be seen, but at some point, someone is gonna want those books balancing.

I thank you for your good wishes towards my club. We've been ###### and deserve to go down.

Some fans, of some clubs, should be a bit more self-aware of just what their own merits are.

More so some clubs, who have shown incredible crassness and bad-taste in their social media.

I don't think it's what IMG have in mind. It looks amateurish and classless.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Worst game I have seen Reynolds play all season, did his Mam pick today's MOM?

His performances have been poor for a while now. Personally, I think his best play is when at first receiver, and that’s where he should be when Asiata isn’t playing. He’s all at sea when playing on the right edge, too many decisions to make and he rarely makes the right one 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

Because its that simple in an underfunded sport.

Underfunded ay.. didn't stop saints, Warrington, Wigan, both Hull teams, Widnes, Huddersfield, Bradford, catalan, fetherstone (not even in SL!) Halifax, Leeds (apart from the away end) 

Had a soft spot for wakey and the be fair got screwed over a bit with a new stadium but RL needs to move on and wakey just made up the numbers for 24 years. At least Cas made finals. 

A merger back in 96 and who knows what the area could have acheived

19 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Underfunded ay.. didn't stop saints, Warrington, Wigan, both Hull teams, Widnes, Huddersfield, Bradford, catalan, fetherstone (not even in SL!) Halifax, Leeds (apart from the away end) 

Had a soft spot for wakey and the be fair got screwed over a bit with a new stadium but RL needs to move on and wakey just made up the numbers for 24 years. At least Cas made finals. 

A merger back in 96 and who knows what the area could have acheived

The fact the you are including staduims owned by football clubs, redeveloped staduims funded by enabling developments and those owned by local councils just re-inforces my point that it isnt that simple.

To my knowledge only Saints, Leeds and possibly Catalan are self funded SL quality staduims.  Wire was part funded by Tesco if I remember rightly.

Edited by Gates1

Sad night but I think it was as good a place as any for the chickens to finally come home to roost. 

Lovely place that whole Sports Village and very fitting of Super League.  

Must have been a very frustrating evening for the Wakey stay at home moaners who had to wait till nearly 10 pm before they could hit the keyboards across SM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Commiserations to Wakefield. It's always sad to see any side relegated, and even more so when it's one who has been a mainstay of the top flight for such a long time. It's the right outcome, they were definitely the worst team over the course of the season, but at least they put up a fight in the second half of the year and made it interesting for a while. 

From the outside I think they have been poorly run for a while now. Applegarth's appointment always looked like a poor one, and too many players in the squad just aren't good enough. I know they have a smaller budget than most, but signing the likes of Proctor shows that what budget they did have wasn't used very effectively. 

All the best Wakefield, I'm sure you will be back soon enough. 

4 hours ago, Gates1 said:

The fact the you are including staduims owned by football clubs, redeveloped staduims funded by enabling developments and those owned by local councils just re-inforces my point that it isnt that simple.

To my knowledge only Saints, Leeds and possibly Catalan are self funded SL quality staduims.  Wire was part funded by Tesco if I remember rightly.

As was Saints-it was part of a brown field re generation project that included Tesco.

Two scenarios could result from this.

Wakefields crowds plunge further and the resulting lack of money and interest means they join Bradford in fading away permanently.

OR

They consolidate and use it as a wake up call. Using their upgraded stadium as a way to maintain a decent level of support and a bit of a siege mentality. A well run and decently attended Wakefield would be a genuine asset to SL. (I know many on here regard well run clubs and big crowds as a  hilarious notion but anyway....)

In reality we were not relegated last night, we were relegated when a decision was made to appoint a coach with no top flight experience to guide a squad lacking in quality through 2023. The first half of the season was absolutely diabolical, the worst I have ever seen and I've watched some ###### represent the club over the past 25 years.

It took a player who had been playing 'Bush Footy' for 6 months or so to come out semi-retirement to kick start our season but naturally that was never going to be enough. 

We've been flirting with relegation for the majority of our time in SL but more so in the last five seasons, often picking up the scraps when we knew we were playing in SL the following year, so effectively we've got worse and worse year on year.

Carter did a good job stabilising the club when he took over but never grew it into anything more and sadly this is the result. Frustrating as there are some clubs who are effectively shells who operate way above their income but have done the business on the field to stay up. An accountant was allows going to run it taking into account the bottom line, he never spent what we didn't have. He comments about next years squad are uninspiring to say the least.  

Best I can hope for is Ellis takes over, resets the whole penny pinching ethos of the club and brings back some positivity.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Oh and Cas are damn lucky we've have stunk the pace out this year, any other season and it wouldve been them going down.

Agreed, albeit the board were apathetic about relegation because of Wakey.

They may have pulled the trigger on Last and recruited sooner had Wakey not have appeared a lost cause for a big part of the season.

We also got very lucky with Austin, his fall out with Leeds and a last second call from Gareth Widdop brought him to the club and he was absolutely key to the Wakey and Hull wins.  He arrived as a result of Cas capitalising on a lucky situation rather than any good planning!

I feel for the Wakey fans and hope the club bounces back quickly. No club has a divine right to Super League, but we can ill afford for another one of our city/larger clubs to fade away à la Bradford.

It is just typical of RL that relegation happens just as Wakefield actually turn promises into reality off the pitch, but perhaps in fact the two are linked as the club has focused on the development and taken its eye off the rugby. In any case they have been poor for most of the year and it's a surprise they kept the relegation fight alive for so long.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Leigh saved their worst performance of the season for the run in to the playoffs, we currently look spent, our small squad looks to be feeling the pinch, last night without Halton, Hardaker, Asiata and Leutele we looked lost and in my opinion we will fade in the playoffs.

I do feel sympathy towards Wakefields fans & Players as I’ve been there 3 times with Leigh and it’s not a great feeling, I do however feel a small sense of satisfaction after knowing how a few clubs (Wakefield included) screwed Leigh over in 2021, sometimes Karma comes back to get you. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

Leigh saved their worst performance of the season for the run in to the playoffs, we currently look spent, our small squad looks to be feeling the pinch, last night without Halton, Hardaker, Asiata and Leutele we looked lost and in my opinion we will fade in the playoffs.

I do feel sympathy towards Wakefields fans & Players as I’ve been there 3 times with Leigh and it’s not a great feeling, I do however feel a small sense of satisfaction after knowing how a few clubs (Wakefield included) screwed Leigh over in 2021, sometimes Karma comes back to get you. 

What is wrong with Halton now?

Agree on the rest, can only see a one week extension to our season, and if it’s away to Hull KR, which looks likely, not sure we’ll even get close to them.

Lost 4 out of 7 Super League games since the cup semi final. And the performances for a week or two leading into the semi final weren’t great either. 

11 hours ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Yep, a good thing to remember. There are numpty, bitter fans of every club (including my own) and we shouldn’t reduce ourselves to their level…easier said than done sometimes! 

I finally deleted my Facebook account last night after seeing the comments on Wakey’s social media from home ‘fans’ as well as other clubs’ fans. Don’t need it anymore! 

13 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leighs social media team being rather classless tonight, they should know as much as anyone how being relegated affects the club and fans, really don’t think they should be taking the ######

This is all to do with what happened in 2021 when Leigh helped save that season when Toronto pulled out late, meaning not only did we start on less money than anyone else, but also all the Superleague standard players had been signed up, resulting in a virtual Championship squad that went on to win only 2 matches. There was no sympathy then, only scorn for being one of the worst teams to grace the top division. 
But what really grated with the club was that previously in that season, clubs in the bottom half of the division (Wakefield included) had agreed to back Derek’s plan to have 14 clubs for the 2022 season, but then reneged on that plan when it became quite clear that Leigh would be relegated and they would be safe.

So that tweet would have been sent if it had been Cas had been relegated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

This is all to do with what happened in 2021 when Leigh helped save that season when Toronto pulled out late, meaning not only did we start on less money than anyone else, but also all the Superleague standard players had been signed up, resulting in a virtual Championship squad that went on to win only 2 matches. There was no sympathy then, only scorn for being one of the worst teams to grace the top division. 
But what really grated with the club was that previously in that season, clubs in the bottom half of the division (Wakefield included) had agreed to back Derek’s plan to have 14 clubs for the 2022 season, but then reneged on that plan when it became quite clear that Leigh would be relegated and they would be safe.

So that tweet would have been sent if it had been Cas had been relegated.

Leigh helped save that season 🙂

Leigh knew the score regarding players and funding and applied to do it, you make it sound like SL begged Leigh.

Anyway It was still classless, they’ve deleted the tweets now.

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Pretty low that wasnt it!

Coincidence that the 2 clubs with the with 2 obnoxious,  big mouth owners are the 2 that show the least class across social media?

As with any organisation in any industry culture starts at the top. Degsy and Cambell both have a lot of work to do in that department. 

• Haha 1