Sat 28th Oct: International: England v Tonga KO 14:30 @ Huddersfield (BBC)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/10/23 at 14:00

There are a lot of eligible England players, and emerging talents, to add to the squad which have seen off Tonga. I must confess to having had my doubts about Wane as England coach, but he has got a lot out of this new team. Good times. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 1

I worry about posters who seem to take it personally when another just doesn't enjoy a game.

I didn't enjoy that game at all. It felt flat, was full of errors, and my ears were bombarded with horns, drums, Jack Smith, and a BBC team that were poor today. I also feel disappointed in Tonga.

But I'm already looking forward to PNG-FIJ tomorrow, plus a bunch of test matches next weekend. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If anything highlights the importance of the international game to the future of Rugby League, it's the proliferation of trolls on TRL that starts to build around the end of any club season that is followed by a test series or RWC.

From my perspective I have no desire to be a troll. I just like to be entertained. I am the type of person who will not pay £25 entrance fee to watch a match during the domestic season. In the main I don’t think the product justifies it. Troll no. Just differing opinions sometimes without being disrespectful to others.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Not many neutrals are going to be attracted to RL by that game unfortunately.

We put way too much pressure on ourselves as a sport. So desperate to be loved by all, we want a classic every single game. We really need to have a bit more confidence in ourselves. Every game is not going to be a classic.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

We put way too much pressure on ourselves as a sport. So desperate to be loved by all, we want a classic every single game. We really need to have a bit more confidence in ourselves. Every game is not going to be a classic.

Pressure to be better in all aspects is good, I think.

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

There’s a lot of truth in this, we automatically think that if die hard RL fans didn’t enjoy the game then neutrals wont have enjoyed it either, that’s not always the case.

Just like this years GF I thought this was a poor game but that doesn’t mean we should suddenly abandon the idea

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UTK said:

Would be surprised if England lose the third test, but even still this feels like a fairly evenly placed rivalry with England superior in the style of football played throughout the series. 

If this series was to take place at home for Tonga (NZ) I would be equally unsurprised if the 3-0 result was reversed, home conditions feels like the biggest difference between the two teams.

Let’s not forget that England are missing Farnworth, Williams, Young, Warmsley & Wardle

• Like 2

A few too many errors yes, but as a style of game I have absolutely no problem calling it entertaining. 

I love theattritional forward battle.  The spectacular put downs in the corner are great but my version of Rugby League is two committed teams going at each for 80 minutes with big runs and hard tackles.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I worry about posters who seem to take it personally when another just doesn't enjoy a game.

Posters who did that would be weird, I agree.

But it's okay to be bored out of your mind by the "everything's rubbish" posts from the people who always post "everything's rubbish" because that's all they have and they think it makes them look clever.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

47 minutes ago, UTK said:

If this series was to take place at home for Tonga (NZ) I would be equally unsurprised if the 3-0 result was reversed, home conditions feels like the biggest difference between the two teams.

A game plan well executed by the spine and a disciplined and hungry defence is the difference.  Those things travel well in Rugby League.

It's not as if New Zealand don't see a drop of rain every now and again.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Posters who did that would be weird, I agree.

But it's okay to be bored out of your mind by the "everything's rubbish" posts from the people who always post "everything's rubbish" because that's all they have and they think it makes them look clever.

I particularly liked the "Tonga too strong and too good with the ball. They’re playing nrl speed we’re playing breather speed."

Followed by

"Could a sweep be on the cards, and how embarrassing would that be?"

In the first half last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Leaguefreak an Aussie by any chance.

The legend was that he was from Chorley.

(Many years have passed and I now can't remember if this claim was other people winding him saying he was a pom or was him winding other people up.)

10 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think hes saying if at least one of these tests were played and marketed in a non traditional RL place they wouldn’t be full of the cynicism of traditional RL fans

This forum would be full of negativity regardless.

The great mistake is thinking that this forum is the only collection of available opinions, especially for an event that's been broadcast live on terrestrial TV.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's a lot more productive and worthwhile reading this thread if you just stick SUPERSTUD on mute.

I’m ok with the comments.  Posters are free to feel as depressed as they like.  

Quite easily, if TJ grasps the ball and Lewis has some support,  we are looking at a big win.