Players from other sports who would have been incredible had they chosen TGG

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Doug Flutie would have made a great scrum half if he'd been an RL player, he was short but elusive in the same mould as Geoff Toovey and Rob Burrow.

I hate you 😉

Thats mental as I never heard of him until this week while doing some research on American Football but what a career the guy had at both College/CFL and NFL and that drop goal.

6 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Mike Tyson would have been a scary enforcer prop in the olden days prior to multiple camera angles and match review panels.

Jamarr Chase and Justin Jefferson would be electric on the wing and spectacular finishers.

Patrick Mahomes is the most gifted athlete in any sport currently and grew up as a multi sport star. He has also got decent size to take the hits and the vision to be an all time great 6.

Jakob Ingebritsen is big for a distance runner and with his stamina he could probably adapt to be an all action back rower. 

I would fancy a good coach to turn the Pole Vaulter Mondo Duplantis into a top centre/second row with short burst speed, off the charts athleticism and body control along with power.

There are loads of NFL players would could be outstanding RL players. Any number of running backs would tear it up playing in the second row or centre, as would a quality linebacker. I'd love to see someone like George Kittle though. Big, aggressive, good hands and decent speed to boot.  

3 hours ago, MZH said:

There are loads of NFL players would could be outstanding RL players. Any number of running backs would tear it up playing in the second row or centre, as would a quality linebacker. I'd love to see someone like George Kittle though. Big, aggressive, good hands and decent speed to boot.  

Going back a little bit, but full-back Henry Hynosky a.k.a the "Hynoceros". Need a prop to plow in for a try and nobody can stop him? You have your man.

18 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Geoff Capes, Mariusz Pudzianowski - both props

Ryan Giggs

Asafa Aumua - a running hooker in RU

Shane Horgan - big, strong wingman from a GAA background

Ciaran McDonald - classy left-footed Gaelic footballer for Mayo - he was majestic with his blond hair and range of passing off the foot

You do know that Ryan Giggs father Danny Wilson was a Union International standoff and played Professional Rugby League for a number of clubs don't you?

Edited by Harry Stottle

12 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Would loved to have seen Neil Ruddock and Vinnie Jones play just to see how hard they really were.

Or Roy Keane, seeing him get pummelled would have been fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You do know that Ryan Giggs father Danny Wilson was a Union International standoff and played Professional Rugby League for a number of clubs don't you?

I had heard it before, but thanks for the reminder.

On 18/11/2023 at 09:01, sam4731 said:

Dwain Chambers.

Which does, TBH, show up the fantasy that most of the posts are indulging in.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, meast said:

Any criteria or context or just random names?

Giant Haystacks?

Nigel Mansell?

Can’t talk for anyone else but my criteria were could I identify 1 or 2 specific positions they could adapt to and did they seem to have the requisite athleticism and toughness to play attack and defence.

On 18/11/2023 at 16:29, EggFace said:

Union players be

Martin Johnson

Jason Leonard

Paul Ackford/Wade Dooley (always thought they were the same player)

Dean Richards

Brian Moore

Sir Clive Woodward

I deliberately avoided picking union players as that is too obvious a sport swap though Martin Johnson would get embarrassed in Rugby League for me, far too lumbering and slow and was never noted for his carrying ability or tackling. Others in his position in the modern game like Etzebeth/Itoje/Retallick could all do fine at prop in RL.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 16:29, EggFace said:

Union players be

Martin Johnson

Jason Leonard

Paul Ackford/Wade Dooley (always thought they were the same player)

Dean Richards

Brian Moore

Sir Clive Woodward

Is this a list of Union players you think would be suited to play League?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris