Who was your first ever favourite player?

Steve Tickle at Barrow in the early 80s.

Arguably the best fullback in the game for 2-3 years but never got a look-in at international level because

a: He wasn't at one of the top clubs and

b: His name wasn't George Fairbairn. 

• Like 3

30 years ago a friendly neighbour used to record the NRL (as was) and pass the tapes over to us every week. I loved watching Langer (hence the user name) and then later on Johns. I loved them long before they signed for Wire and felt so privileged to watch them in p&b. Not sure why I was so Aus focused at the time, I’ve rarely watched Aus RL since, maybe it was the free videos!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

30 years ago a friendly neighbour used to record the NRL (as was) and pass the tapes over to us every week. I loved watching Langer (hence the user name) and then later on Johns. I loved them long before they signed for Wire and felt so privileged to watch them in p&b. Not sure why I was so Aus focused at the time, I’ve rarely watched Aus RL since, maybe it was the free videos!

Langer was class.

In 2 Kangaroo tours he never really shone in the tests as he was dropped?

Bruce Ryan.      A powerful Aus. speedster winger who came to play for Hull FC in 1947 until 1950. Had heard of him from Aus relatives and I was one of a crowd of around 4000 who were there to welcome him when he arrived in Hull by train.

Devastated and shed a tear or two when he left to play for Leeds (who payed at that time a record transfer fee) after watching him play in every home match. Continued to watch him play for Leeds when they came to Hull to play FC and Hull KR.

• Like 2