NRL Europe? In Winter?

It would make more sense for the NRL to switch to summer.

Avoid all those tedious fixture clashes with the ARL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

It's worth remembering it is still the off season down under, and they have a very long off season.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

When I read the article and watch the video... it sounds like it's just going to be a NRL dumbing ground for mediocre players or players ready to retire from the game who are eating into the salary cap. I couldn't see the NRL clubs letting their top players go.

Plus it's going to be in peak winter.

Quote from Matty Johns in the article:

“Let’s imagine the Roosters are faced with a scenario where they allow Joey Manu to go to French rugby or we let him go and have a stint at Castleford. That’s the opportunity for players to really optimise their income while they’re in the game.”

This feels like a sarcastic joke at Castleford's expense.

• Haha 8

18 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Who's set to financially benefit if it was to happen?

If it's the clubs get a big windfall then we've seen stranger things happen...

The NRL wants a way to hang on to squad and developing players through their off season.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It may be one of few delights in following Salford, in enjoying a sweet warm sirocco like wind breeze up the erm Ship Canal under a milky gold and pink sky over the nearby sewage "farm" and the motorway bridge. 

The alternative is the best dalmart can produce wrapped around us like the pastry of a sausage roll, this time deep in the freezer, whilst the rain descends like frozen fire on a small open west Yorkshire terrace.

So no. 

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Haha 6

Would've been a complete non-starter up until last year, as most NRL players wouldn't have got a working visa to come here. But the RFL got the home office to change the rules for 2024, so that anyone under 24 who has played in NRL, NSW or Qld Cup can come here now. So now it's just the small matter of non-availability of certain stadia, the likely loss of tv contracts due to overlap with soccer etc. that would be in the way. That plus whenever Aussies have tried to run clubs here, it's always ended badly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The NRL should buy out the French Elite 1 and do a test to see if it would work.

Absolutely. It's a blank canvas and would cost much less with much greater upside.

• Like 1

When does Matty Johns etc expect international games to be played with the two footy seasons NOT running in tandem?

Do they really think NRL clubs these days are going to let their players play internationals vs (say) the touring GB side in the middle of the NRL season?

• Like 3

Just an insane idea. On what planet are players going to start playing more minutes a calendar year in the current climate?

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

There is no chance that Super League would move to Winter. Players are already being restricted in playing minutes per year. 

HOWEVER, a Global brand for Professional Rugby League is the right path to position as the pre-eminent 'Rugby' competition in the world. 

İf Super League were to become NRL, with the same primary branding, web portals, social media etc it would make local clubs in Europe a MUCH MORE palatable option for investors. İt would also increase visability and crredibilty for the game, with all the flow on in regard to sponsors etc. 

This would also ensure the NRL can produce a platform, with little extra expense to sell watchnrl.com subs, dissolving the need for different platforms (of course in theory one could split the sub for north and south) 

The NRL is already the world's biggest "Rugby" competition in terms of income, this would anchor is as the NFL equivalent in the Rugby World. 

I live and coach in Turkey and NO ONE in the Rugby League community here follows Super League, everyone follows the NRL. Even when you speak to other coaches in other emerging European nations, it is the NRL and it's clubs that are followed. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The NRL should buy out the French Elite 1 and do a test to see if it would work.

Nice idea but I don’t think village teams playing in front of 300 people would appeal to them. 

This has been simmering in the background for over a year however the English press havant been on it.

The NFL don't have to buy Super League there is nothing to buy,all they have to do is put 5 million each on the table for 12 clubs and off they go.

NFL Europe even Phil Gould backs it.