Darryl Van de Velde RIP

• Gomersall changed the title to Darryl Van de Velde RIP

RIP. Rugby was never dull when he was around.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Obviously an Aussie but he was a big name in the 1990s UK coaching scene and coached in England for almost 15 years. This topic title immediately took me back to that quality Cas team that got to Wembley and demolished Wigan in the Regal Trophy final. RIP

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Bloody hell! No age at all! It comes as a shock when contemporaries such as he pass away. 😲😰

I'm finding it happening more and more often.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Obviously an Aussie but he was a big name in the 1990s UK coaching scene and coached in England for almost 15 years. This topic title immediately took me back to that quality Cas team that got to Wembley and demolished Wigan in the Regal Trophy final. RIP

Not just an Aussie…a ‘Queenslander’. Started his coaching career at Redcliffe Dolphins

Very sad….condolences to his family and friends

Some Aussies really take to the culture of English RL. Embrace both the similarities and contrasts with home. Always got the impression from Darryl that he was firmly in that category. Coaching Castleford wasn't just a job.

Remember reading about a player from yesteryear who named his daughter Leigh after a stint over here.

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Cas should bring back their early 90s jersey.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Cas should bring back their early 90s jersey.

they should bring back their early 90s players!  great coach who had an obvious passion for the game - very sad

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

RIP Darryl, a very good coach for numerous clubs including my own.

It could be argued he laid the foundations for our return to the top flight of the sport and a big part in the awakening of a sleeping giant, he managed to bring players with such quality as Garry Schofield, Greg Mackey and Phil Veivers to the 2nd divison.

He put together a quality team in the Claret and Gold before moving on.

I remember being in The Ship in Cas when rumours that this newly arrived DV² was in the building. "So where's this Darryl bloke then?" I bellowed. This guy looked only very slightly to one side. ".........er...Hello Darryl".

I remember Martin Ketteridge complaining about him, He'd stop for 5 seconds to moan about DV² and from the far end of the field  "Come on Betty- keep going". He could read your mind from 100m away.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

One of the good guys from Oz. R.I.P. Daryll

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 27/02/2024 at 11:55, Gooleboy said:

Reilly worked for John Smiths not Tetley's.

Perhaps he only told people he worked for Tetley's.

Understandable.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I met him when he was CEO of the South Queensland Crushers in 1994. I was in Brisbane for the Wigan WCC game and had been asked to take a highlights tape of a player to show him. I was invited up to his office and had a good chat with him. He was a really friendly man and gave me a Crushers sweat shirt as a souvenir. Out of interest the player concerned wasn’t invited over but went on to have a very good career in Super League.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy

He once stepped off the pitch and walked amongst the away fans at Belle Vue after a particularly bad Wire performance. 

He just walked through the away fans, chatting and apologising. I've never seen anything like it. 

Massive respect, he didn't hide and actually did the opposite.