Salford Bailout

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Essentially the crowds are too small.

Salford's stadium deal has been far from ideal yes, but that is an issue compounded by the fact they simply do not generate enough income elsewhere. They can't generate funds from the food and beverages, but they don't generate enough from the seats they are able to sell. Likewise there clearly isn't enough cash flow in the club shop etc. 

It appears Salford also seem to spend beyond even their meagre means on the playing budget. 

Its like Huddersfield without Ken Davy.

Almost like Huddersfield with Ken Davy, but their equivalent of Davy is public money. Of course, sporting clubs should be a community asset, but whether the City of Salford get anything like a return on the money poured in to propping the RL team up is another matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

I have always thought that it was a terrible mistake on Salfard's part to move from The Willows.

That may well be true, but Salford likely took the licensing process at face value so felt they had no choice, whereas other clubs like Cas and Wakey decided to play the system. I’m not sure I’m happy that the latter two’s path seems to have been better rewarded… 

14 minutes ago, Worzel said:

That may well be true, but Salford likely took the licensing process at face value so felt they had no choice, whereas other clubs like Cas and Wakey decided to play the system. I’m not sure I’m happy that the latter two’s path seems to have been better rewarded… 

Not this again.

Salford got a purpose built stadium for free, and quite rightly snapped the hand off Peel/Salford Council to utilise it. Trinity and Cas played out of dumps and were financially impacted because of it and the lack of resource fundamentally ended up with Trinity's relegation and Cas' near relegation last season. 

Salford are still signing NRL players whilst getting loans from a fiancially strapped local authority. The food and beverage isn't going to plug that financial gap and they'll be knocking on their fans doors for more cash as the season progresses, or the council again.

They are well and truly spinning plates in the hope one doesn't drop, but that will catch up with the club in the end when the magic money tree no longer bears fruit.

On the field they are one of the more entertaining teams to watch in the league. Off field they are a disaster.

Edited by PREPOSTEROUS
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

I have always thought that it was a terrible mistake on Salfard's part to move from The Willows.

But didn't the owners at that time need the sale of The Willows to pay off debts.  The club had no option but to cash in and take up the offer of a shiny new stadium.  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Not this again.

Salford got a purpose built stadium for free, and quite rightly snapped the hand off Peel/Salford Council to utilise it. Trinity and Cas played out of dumps and were financially impacted because of it and the lack of resource fundamentally ended up with Trinity's relegation and Cas' near relegation last season. 

Salford are still signing NRL players whilst getting loans from a fiancially strapped local authority. The food and beverage isn't going to plug that financial gap and they'll be knocking on their fans doors for more cash as the season progresses, or the council again.

They are well and truly spinning plates in the hope one doesn't drop, but that will catch up with the club in the end when the magic money tree no longer bears fruit.

On the field they are one of the more entertaining teams to watch in the league. Off field they are a disaster.

Not this again.

The stadium was far from free. The build was started - at huge expense - by the club and its then owner John Wilkinson. The project was only taken on by the City of Salford and Peel Holdings after various of the funding streams the club and Mr Wilkinson were trying to tap into were pulled away as a result of changes in legislation, reduction in education funding, the sudden death of one of the investors and so on.

The club was virtually bankrupted by it and the lack of resource fundamentally ended up with the team finishing 11th in 2012, last in 2013 and the club facing a wind up order.

The club was then 'rescued' by Marwan Koukash, who managed to make things worse in so many ways, including signing it up to a stadium rental deal they had little hope in being able to fulfil.

And that leads us to where we are today: the current board trying to help the club recover from the expensive stadium build and Marwan's subsequent reign of error, and people on here moaning about it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Not this again.

The stadium was far from free. The build was started - at huge expense - by the club and its then owner John Wilkinson. The project was only taken on by the City of Salford and Peel Holdings after various of the funding streams the club and Mr Wilkinson were trying to tap into were pulled away as a result of changes in legislation, reduction in education funding, the sudden death of one of the investors and so on.

The club was virtually bankrupted by it and the lack of resource fundamentally ended up with the team finishing 11th in 2012, last in 2013 and the club facing a wind up order.

The club was then 'rescued' by Marwan Koukash, who managed to make things worse in so many ways, including signing it up to a stadium rental deal they had little hope in being able to fulfil.

And that leads us to where we are today: the current board trying to help the club recover from the expensive stadium build and Marwan's subsequent reign of error, and people on here moaning about it.

I think folk like to moan because all they hear about is rubbish stadium deals, council bail outs & hey, here’s our latest signing. 

• Like 1

I sometimes struggle to keep up with Salford tbh, I'm glad they will survive to fight another day. 

Does anyone really see a bright future for them? Like, is there a chance that a better stadium deal will see them be able to really fulfil their potential and become a really strong club?

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I sometimes struggle to keep up with Salford tbh, I'm glad they will survive to fight another day. 

Does anyone really see a bright future for them? Like, is there a chance that a better stadium deal will see them be able to really fulfil their potential and become a really strong club?

I think the new deal will put the club in a better position. I have my doubts whether that position could be deemed as thriving though.

Perhaps ironically I think this best benefits the club for if they get relegated. The current deal is pretty untenable now, it would have been impossible in the lower divisions.

In short, it can't make things worse 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think the new deal will put the club in a better position. I have my doubts whether that position could be deemed as thriving though.

Perhaps ironically I think this best benefits the club for if they get relegated. The current deal is pretty untenable now, it would have been impossible in the lower divisions.

In short, it can't make things worse 

Absolutely, it has to be better than now, that can't be doubted. Whether it can be good enough, we'll see. 

I would be interested to know how the council have got around the legalities of this. Surely there must be conditions and stipulations, for instance how it will benefit the wider community. Councils are not allowed to hand out money unconditionally  to any individual or private companies.

9 hours ago, dboy said:

Spend more than they earn, including on high-profile players.

More money going out, whilst not even meeting their current bills (loan repayments and rent), than coming in.

Where do they train, whats the costs of this, where is the admin staff based plus cost, where do youth teams etc play and train plus cost..

Not owning any offices , training grounds or property is always going to put you on the backfoot..

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I have said this before that i don't see what Salford at present bring to the game and haven't for a few years, and didn't Marwan Koukash scrap their academy?

58 minutes ago, The Future is League said:
1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The last time i was there it looked like it wanted millions spending on it and the pigeons outnumbered the fans.

The last time i was there it looked like it wanted millions spending on it and the pigeons outnumbered the fans.

It was their ground, however much it may have needed tending. I think it is very sad for the game to lose these old grounds.

I recognise all the issues that people on here have pointed out, of course.

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'd really like to see them become strong, stable, solvent and successful. Right back to my first contact with the sport back in the late 1950s, they seem to have been struggling.  I recognise the determination and dedication of the fans, players, owners etc. now and over the years. I fear that unless they can find a strong, straightforward, dedicated, respected and respectable and well-heeled owner prepared to invest ...er donate, £millions, then the hand-to-mouth existence will continue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I have said this before that i don't see what Salford at present bring to the game and haven't for a few years, and didn't Marwan Koukash scrap their academy?

Still amused by those clueless media people who claimed Koukash was great for the sport. Where's his Liverpool club?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

A club spokesperson said: "On this occasion, we have received financial support from the local authority to secure the financial sustainability of the club – and one reason we have received this is due to unnecessary delay and obstruction from the current opposition which has set the budgeted timeline back.

"To challenge the perpetual false narrative that the club seemingly does not pay its way, we would also like to be clear that the club have paid and continue to pay rent on a monthly basis that is higher than any amount paid by any of the club’s previous ownership since moving into the Salford Community Stadium."

Considering the previous stories about SRD failing to pay rent, that seems a very creative way of not admitting whether or not they are currently paying the full rent on their lease. £370k on top of £170k they haven't paid back from last year really isn't a good look and maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where the sums are adding up for SRD when they keep pointing to food and drink sales as being the thing to fill the hole in their budget. 

If you are already on a massively reduced wage bill in relation to the salary cap, and receiving additional loans to stay afloat, I don't see how getting a small % from concessions is going to suddenly turn them into a self sufficient SL club paying it's rent/ loans and a somewhere competitive salary cap level. 

It will all be fine. They are ranked 8th in the IMG gradings 🤣

20 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

A club spokesperson said: "On this occasion, we have received financial support from the local authority to secure the financial sustainability of the club – and one reason we have received this is due to unnecessary delay and obstruction from the current opposition which has set the budgeted timeline back.

"To challenge the perpetual false narrative that the club seemingly does not pay its way, we would also like to be clear that the club have paid and continue to pay rent on a monthly basis that is higher than any amount paid by any of the club’s previous ownership since moving into the Salford Community Stadium."

Considering the previous stories about SRD failing to pay rent, that seems a very creative way of not admitting whether or not they are currently paying the full rent on their lease. £370k on top of £170k they haven't paid back from last year really isn't a good look and maybe I'm missing something but I don't see where the sums are adding up for SRD when they keep pointing to food and drink sales as being the thing to fill the hole in their budget. 

If you are already on a massively reduced wage bill in relation to the salary cap, and receiving additional loans to stay afloat, I don't see how getting a small % from concessions is going to suddenly turn them into a self sufficient SL club paying it's rent/ loans and a somewhere competitive salary cap level. 

It will all be fine. They are ranked 8th in the IMG gradings 🤣

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think the 'potential' for the club has been tested on recent years 

A team that plays attractive rugby and had had success (made finals).

Yet interest and crowds remain at a low level 

Maybe the interest is just not there beyond a certain level.....and that level looks more like a strong championship club rather than a top flight club 

• Like 3

This is Thrum Hall and the Shay all over again by the sounds of it and just like for Fax, it won't be long before the music stops playing. The scary thing though, a lot of people have Salford pinned as a grade A club in the first official gradings. Imagine if that happened given the state they are in. So many self sustainable clubs in the Championship that are infinatley better run.

• Like 4