Are Leeds too big a club to be relegated?

After being beaten by the weakest team in the league at home there is now a real threat of relegation. ...

Could SL survive the loss of the biggest club in Yorkshire?

Are Leeds the new Bradford?

Can Leeds turn it around or is a change of coach with fresh ideas needed??

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A season is 20+ games. They will survive. 

They have enough talent in the team to avoid relegation. Hardaker, Watkins, Cuthbertson need to take the team forward. Even without Peacock, Sinfield and Leulai, they are good enough for top 4, players for players.

They have a very good squad, in theory, and a strong academy. They lack the mindset. 

After being beaten by the weakest team in the league at home there is now a real threat of relegation. ...

Fishing for 'Hetherington is Lord Voldemort' conspiracy theorists?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Answer to the OP question, no.

Will they be, no.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Whilst it's worrying to see such a fall from grace since last year, it's not really a worry you have to concern yourself with. Even with Wakefield's terrific Easter results, you will still be above them and Rovers at the end of round 23.

Your team has been hit with a lot of injuries as has Huddersfield, and worst hit......HKR. The table doesn't lie this year. Injuries have been at record levels, and the least hit are reaping the benifits.

At some stage this season, the teams with the fewer injuries will no doubt go through what the likes of Leeds and Rovers have had to put up with. The table will no doubt even itself out.

But saying that, I still expect Wakefield and Rovers in the bottom two. Leeds could stil sneak into the 8.

I think Rugby League, Leeds;and this forum deserve a better thread than this!

No club is too big to go down but Leeds won't be, at the very worst they'll be in the bottom four!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

As a outsider watching most games over the past 6-7 years I'd say SL would be in a world of trouble if either Leeds or Wigan where to be relegated so to answer the OP Yes they are to big but I also do not believe there any real chance of them going down either.

No threat at all IMO. Far too much quality in that squad, a half who can organise is all they need to vastly improve their win ratio. Differant side when Maguire gets back into it.

I'd guess 8th place finish.

what if maguire is missing for the middle 8's Leeds could be in BIG trouble!

No they are not and neither are Huddersfield!

Neither team would go down even if they are in the middle 8's, and I don't agree Wakey are the weakest team, it seems any team can win on any day

The St's match was a case in point, if Widnes didn't play dropsy they won, so another get out of free card played by the most boring St's team of modern times - Widnes good value for their league position

Salford are doing the same but less consistently

The weakest team may well be Hull KR on paper but they are also up for the fight and lack a bit of consistency and dare I say it a bit of fitness

The Giants and the rhinos are both in need of another approach - Leeds because they have lost their leadership group and need to find that mental strength again and the Giants because the players they have relied on for so long have also quietly either left or retired or have a few issues going on - reported elsewhere - and cannot settle

Both teams have average packs and in the case of the giants went into the season a bit thin - the rhinos cannot use that excuse but to be fair the forwards they have got are not doing the job and Cuthbertson cannot do it on his own

Its a long season, there will be twists and turns and I think once the rest of the league gets up to speed the likes of Wigan and St's will start to drop off

I genuinely think this is a breakthrough season for someone and both the CC and the GF will go to a new team as will the hub cap which is great!

That's what promotion and relegation is.If your good you go up, if your not so good you go down.How big or famous a club you are should have no bearing whatsoever. In soccer Manchester United went down in the 1970s I think and look how big they are.I don't think Leeds will go down though as there's too much talent there.They'll get it together.

Leeds  have lost their leadership group............

Burrow runs sideways looking for gaps to score individual tries.

Lilley doesn't seem to have managed to organise the attack and has not been played much recently.

Sutcliffe particularly froze yesterday and he ran most balls sent out wide to him so the fans were screaming "pass"

Hardaker ended up running sideways to screams of "go forward".

Miller was a failure at Hull, but Schofield believes he's coming on.

Finn was a failure at Cas.

But these two lads organised Wakefield very well indeed.

Leeds are a big strong, fast team, they just need the leadership so maybe it's cheque book time.

They won't be fearing any Championship club. 

Finn was a failure at Cas.

Was he?

He joined a team who had finished in the bottom 2 and was a consistent member of this team as thet turned this around and finished 4th and 6th, a win away from the LLS and got to the cup final.

Define failure?

When Wigan were in the same position(actually a worse position) it was confirmed we could go, so it will be the same for Leeds.

Goes to show history is written by the victors.

Whatever the official rhetoric, the blindest of blind eyes was paid to the blatant disregard for the competition rules Wigan showed that year to dig themselves out of the mess. All couched in a message of 'a strong Wigan is a strong rugby league'.

I don't think Leeds will be anywhere near the bottom 4 come the split, however.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Goes to show history is written by the victors.

Whatever the official rhetoric, the blindest of blind eyes was paid to the blatant disregard for the competition rules Wigan showed that year to dig themselves out of the mess. All couched in a message of 'a strong Wigan is a strong rugby league'.

I don't think Leeds will be anywhere near the bottom 4 come the split, however.

Blindest of blind eyes? Like the points deduction we took that year (for the previous year) or the deduction we later took for signing Fielden where we were done for breaching "the spirit" of the cap because we hadn't technically breached it!

Can SL afford to lose a club like Leeds?  Absolutely not.

Disagree completely - No team is bigger than the game.

However unlikely, if Leeds get relegated then so be it, they'll just get replaced by a better team from the Championship. No efforts should be made by the RFL to try and manipulate things to artificially keep them in SL

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Leeds will be nowhere near the bottom 4. The biggest problem has been lack of points this season and they're currently the worst attacking team in the league. Adding McGuire will change that though and I have no doubt that had he played this year then Leeds would have won the majority of the close games they've lost. All they need is a bit more organisation in attack and they will start to improve and gain confidence. It's going to be a hard task go make the 4 now but I'd be shocked if they didn't finish 5th/6th

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

Archived