James Maloney to Warrington?

This story appearing on seriousaboutrl.com:

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/warrington-make-bid-james-maloney-9983/

Fantasy or Possibility?

The CEO claimed recently that a bid was made to sign a world-class half-back as Super League's biggest earner, but the offer was promptly rejected.    Not sure whether he'd really settle over here knowing he could command a similar salary back home and also still represent state and country.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

He'd be dynamite in next year's S8s qualifiers.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Really good player, but some players are NRL players and NRL players only, and just aren't suited to SL style rugby. It wouldn't surprise me if he was another Todd Carney. Besides, even if Wire could pay him enough he ain't giving up his rep chances. None starter.  

17 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The culture? The weather? How many more reasons do you want?

Yeh he's probably looking out over Botany Bay , mulling over his giant contract , origin and international prospects , and strength of the Sharks and thinking 'what is there for me here , I need something different' 

18 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Why would he come to Warrington when he could earn just as much at about 10 NRL clubs?

I think the reality is that we would need to pay over the odds, that is the way we will get these players.

A real penalty machine and for all the good he does, he spoils much of it due to stupid mistakes which he doesn't need to do. He is/was a good player, but he hasn't had a great season and his best days could be behind him at 31 as he slows up. Cronulla would be prepared to let him go IF they could bring in somebody similar is the rumour. I doubt he would go to Warrington or even one of the top NRL Club. Probably a club like Newcastle would go for him if Cronulla did release him from his final year,who have plenty of space on the cap and who would offer far more in various things than Warrington.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Surely they'd be sorting sorting out a new coach before signing any  players? 

what happened to the days of player/coach? I said yer buy1 yer get one free

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

No Aussie still playing Origin will come to SL until their rep career is over.

Agree!

Too much money and prestige. Origin is in Oz the top game, every player wants to play in it if eligible. 

35 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah which I think is believable when it's just a semi-decent player, in a less important position. When it's someone who is already earning £450k a year or whatever, I can't see any club being willing to pay over the odds relative to that. 

That's the only way they'll come.  Cough the money.  Or, do they do as Saints have done with Lomax?  Wire could tie Clark into a central contract and free money up for Maloney.

Maloney is good, but I'm just not sure whether he would make such a difference to be a good return on investment if that salary quoted is true.   I was hoping for the 'missing link' we needed to steer the team round the park, but would he end up being resented by the other players if he's on such a huge deal?

I guess the club would be banking on an Aussie international pulling in the spectators, but I'm not sure he's a big enough draw?  Probably all fantasy anyway.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah which I think is believable when it's just a semi-decent player, in a less important position. When it's someone who is already earning £450k a year or whatever, I can't see any club being willing to pay over the odds relative to that. 

Yup. Although I think the marquee playet rule is beibg underused in its current form - nobody is being ballsy with it.

If a World Class player is on £450k then offering £550k may entice them and is a relatively modest investment when you factor in your top earners wage which i would expect to be c£250k. A £300k investment per year shouldnt be completely out of the question and surely was what this was introduced for.

On 20 September 2017 at 3:37 AM, Desert Skipper said:

This story appearing on seriousaboutrl.com:

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/warrington-make-bid-james-maloney-9983/

Fantasy or Possibility?

The CEO claimed recently that a bid was made to sign a world-class half-back as Super League's biggest earner, but the offer was promptly rejected.    Not sure whether he'd really settle over here knowing he could command a similar salary back home and also still represent state and country.

Yet another Australian taking a holiday in England. I'd rather Warrington try and sign someone like Kyle Eastmond..

44 minutes ago, StadiumXIII said:

Yet another Australian taking a holiday in England. I'd rather Warrington try and sign someone like Kyle Eastmond..

I am as proud to be from Warrington as the next bloke, but not sure I would put it down as a holiday destination. 

Personally I wouldn't want Eastmond: he hasn't played RL for years and is no longer a kid. Maloney is a quality RL player now. I find it very hard to believe he could come here without us having to bust the cap, but would be delighted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived