On 13/11/2019 at 15:57, Mister Ting said:

My Mum.

Born in Lambeth in December 1937. Survived the Blitz (home bombed). Evacuated to Mytholmroyd in late 1940.

Sorry old chap.

Olly Croft, the founder of the British Darts Organisation, aged 90.

I wonder if this might open the door for reunification between the BDO and the PDC?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Gary Rhodes 59

59 is no age, only a couple of years older than me!

He was the first TV chef to really catch my eye. I loved the fact that he championed British cuisine. I have a couple of his books, they are really very good; far better than some of his rivals.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

59 is no age, only a couple of years older than me!

He was the first TV chef to really catch my eye. I loved the fact that he championed British cuisine. I have a couple of his books, they are really very good; far better than some of his rivals.

A really good chef, and gone far too young.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

49 minutes ago, longboard said:

Jonathan Miller. Writer, director etc

File under ‘thought he died ages ago’. But nonetheless, a very clever man. RIP

Clive James, 80. Undertakers' Xmas bonus has been sorted out today.

• Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He was on TV last year talking about his impending death. Wasn’t afraid of dying and talked with good humour about his life and times. Top bloke.

Pre internet and You Tube, his show Saturday Night Clive was a great source of bizarre clips and so on. RIP 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

He wrote the lyrics to this

https://www.clivejames.com/the-master-of-the-revels.html

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

He was on TV last year talking about his impending death. Wasn’t afraid of dying and talked with good humour about his life and times. Top bloke.

The one with Mary Beard? If so it's on BBC2 now.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

14 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The one with Mary Beard? If so it's on BBC2 now.

Don’t think so....it was on last Christmas. Maybe I’d had a few though.....

maybe it was on reflection though. 

Edited by Johnoco

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A really good chef, and gone far too young.

Once watched him make a large Bourbon biscuit, he was a talent, my dad who is a miserable old sod admired his passion for cooking.

56 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Once watched him make a large Bourbon biscuit, he was a talent, my dad who is a miserable old sod admired his passion for cooking.

Unlike some chefs who made the jump to TV, he retained the respect of restaurant critics and fellow professional chefs, even in the spangly outfits of "Strictly come Dancing". Given the gleeful take-downs administered to many in his world who ventured beyond the kitchen swing-doors, that says a lot.

6 hours ago, Just Browny said:

A very talented man, not least as a poet.

Nonetheless, I was always a little disappointed that coming from Sydney, having played against the great Reg Gasnier as a schoolboy and occasionally fronting The Footy Show on Channel 9, he never made any reference to his love of Rugby League in his writing or broadcasting in this country. I suspect it says a lot about our sport's inability to reach the chattering classes and Clive's understanding of what was likely to gain him kudos with that particular audience.

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

A very talented man, not least as a poet.

Nonetheless, I was always a little disappointed that coming from Sydney, having played against the great Reg Gasnier as a schoolboy and occasionally fronting The Footy Show on Channel 9, he never made any reference to his love of Rugby League in his writing or broadcasting in this country. I suspect it says a lot about our sport's inability to reach the chattering classes and Clive's understanding of what was likely to gain him kudos with that particular audience.

He spent a very long time in the UK and yes, probably knew well what would play positively with broadcasters. Still, he did bring us Margarita Pracatan, who did more violence to music than Gorden Tallis ever inflicted on an opponent.

Edited by Futtocks

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

He spent a very long time in the UK and yes, probably knew well what would play positively with broadcasters. Still, he did bring us Margarita Pracatan, who did more violence to music than Gorden Tallis ever inflicted on an opponent.

She was "singing" on BBC Breakfast TV this morning! 

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

She was "singing" on BBC Breakfast TV this morning! 

And she was the best thing on TV so far this week :kolobok_biggrin:

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2

Bob Willis

:kolobok_sad:

Brilliant memories of a great fast bowler. I will never forget his heroics in 1981.
Even now, when coaching juniors, if one of them takes too long a run up I can't help saying out loud "who do you think you are, Bob Willis?"

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

Bob Willis

Brilliant memories of a great fast bowler. I will never forget his heroics in 1981.
Even now, when coaching juniors, if one of them takes too long a run up I can't help saying out loud "who do you think you are, Bob Willis?"

Summer holidays during the 70’s. 11am, ‘Soul Limbo’ comes on....When cricketers were household names. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Bob Willis

He can't die. He hasn't turned round and punched Charles Colville square on the nose yet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Absolutely gutted by this news . Complete shock . I was waiting for his return to the verdict as was Charles . Just terrible news. Beefy and Bob in that famous test got me immersed in the game . Since then he’s just always been there ...

Edited by DavidM