Obituary Thread

Greatest cricketer I ever seen , up there with Bradman as the best . He did the most difficult skill … and didn’t just look lethal in terms of wicket taking but could put it on a dime and go for hardly anything in one dayers . Incredible character , brilliant cricket brain and great to listen to 

Rod Marsh and Shane Warne, gone in two days. I'm just stunned by this news.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Desperately sad. He was not only one of the best players of all time but in my view one of the best pundits too. He brought so much to the sport.

Here's what was said about him in 2006 when he retired:

Richie Benaud
"Shane Warne is without doubt the finest leg spinner the world has ever seen. You would certainly have Warne right up there as one of the greatest Australians to ever step on the field."

Adam Gilchrist
"What he's done for the game, the colour he's added, the character that he's brought to the game, he's going to be tough to replace."

Steve Waugh
"It's very hard to judge across eras but Warne would sit pretty comfortably as the second best player ever. He has been responsible for winning more Test matches than anyone else I have seen or played with."

Allan Border
"Bradman - it's hard to make comparison with that guy's record, but on the next level of cricketers, Warne is right there. He's been a breath of fresh air, what he's brought to the game is immeasurable.

John Buchanan
"Looking at the future, that will now be a huge void that will take maybe generations to fill."

Terry Jenner
"He just has that capacity, unlike any other wrist spinner we've seen, to put the ball in the danger area ball after ball after ball. His special talent has been to spin the ball and at the same time be accurate."

Jason Gillespie
"I think he'd be just about the best player that's ever played cricket."

Anil Kumble
"If there is one thing he has that I would love to have, it is the ability to spin the ball the way he does. Warney has been very open about what he thinks and how he bowls. I am very happy to have played with him and competed with him. I have learnt a lot from him, not just by talking to him but by watching the way he bowls." Click here
to read the full tribute from Kumble.

Merv Hughes
"Whatever you say about Shane Warne it isn't enough. His performances have not only shaped cricket in Australia but worldwide. Most people go through a purple patch and Shane Warne has had a purple patch for 15 or 16 years."

David Boon
"I think he's had the greatest influence on the game of cricket outside of Sir Donald Bradman. I can only laud at the highest level what Shane has contributed to the game, not only worldwide but in Australia as well."

Mark Taylor
"Not only is he a great bowler but he's also a great thinker. He got a lot of people out with wonderful deliveries but also out-thought a lot."

Mike Gatting on that ball
"I suppose I can say that 'I was there' at the moment he first indicated his potential to the wider world. There or thereabouts, anyway. Thanks to him, there are many more leg-spinners in the game. We may not see his like again."

Richard Hadlee
"A lot of batsmen in world cricket will be delighted to learn he's leaving the game but I think the game will be poorer without him. He has been a match winner, flamboyant and just incredible to watch."

(from espncricinfo.com) 
  • Thanks 1

Shocked to hear of Shane Warne’s sudden death.A tough and hard competitor on the field but a good genuine bloke off the field.

Cricket and sport is poorer with his passing.

A true legend.

As a bowler he was as the Tina Turner song says”Simply the best”and he was better than all of the rest.

R.I.P Shane 😢

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Greatest cricketer I ever seen , up there with Bradman as the best . He did the most difficult skill … and didn’t just look lethal in terms of wicket taking but could put it on a dime and go for hardly anything in one dayers . Incredible character , brilliant cricket brain and great to listen to 

There will be lots of more erudite and informed views than mine but, whilst acknowledging the many things he won, I look back in particular at his performances in the 2005 Ashes where, even on a losing cause, he absolutely refused to be beaten and brought his team back into it again and again.

Just look at his record from that series: 40 wickets (Australia took 93 in the series) at 19.92 alongside 249 runs with the bat.

Took me a while to get used to him on comms but he came across as warm and generous with this time, and his love of the game was infectious.

I am absolutely in pieces about this.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Still getting over Rod Marsh's departure now Shane Warne out of nowhere as he was on the FOX coverage olf the Australia v Sri Lanka T20 series that finished on 20th February.

He was one of the Wisden Cricketers of the 20th Century and his lasting legacy is chaging the way that Cricket was played. Prior to his arrival leg spin was almost dead as an art outside Pakistan with the game dominated by a battery of seam bowlers.  Post - Warne everyone has to have a leg spinner in whatever format the game is played.

A deep thinker on the game, despite his larrikin image, Warne went on to be the best capatain Australia never had, limited to being captain to a few ODI's due to his off-field exploits.

Not everyone's cup of tea as a pundit, peoople tend to forget that pundits play a "role" on TV and what you see and hear is not always the real person. Warne did a lot of charity work quioetly , particularily in Sri Lanka post Tsumani for which he never got that much credit.

A sad day RIP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2005 was incredible , he was imperious and at times kept them in it . The measure of the man is that he was so gracious in defeat and put it up there with his most memorable series even though  he lost

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

It was always something to see batsmen cowering under his remarkable control despite the relative slowness of spin bowling. Definitely saved the art. Priceless contribution. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Just finished watching a recording of Warrington v Catalans and then put on the sports news channel.  The announcement of his death was emblazoned across the bottom of the screen and my first thought was that someone at the sports channel would be sacked for putting the wrong name on the screen as Rod Marsh had died the day before.

What a shocker.  It was only when I lived over here that I had the pleasure to listen to him talk about the game as a presenter and his passion, love and knowledge was in stark contrast to the personas he showed on the field and his less than desirable antics off the field.

Gone far, far too early.

• Like 1

Lynda Baron's last film was Dream Horse, now being shown on Sky movies. It's a really good film and shot in Blaenavon, 2 miles from the village where I was brought up.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

4 minutes ago, CiderWire said:

Granville, fetch me hanky😔

60c959d4af7b16f7eb62e0508bed4b4c.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actor Ron Pember. You may not know his name, but you'll probably recognise his face. What with him having being in pretty much everything for pretty much ever.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/mar/11/only-fools-and-horses-actor-ron-pember-dies-aged-87

Ralph Waldo Emerson

According to Twitter, the Oscar-winning actor William Hurt. I remember him from 'Dark City', as well as other roles.
Middle name McChord, apparently.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

According to Twitter, the Oscar-winning actor William Hurt. I remember him from 'Dark City', as well as other roles.

71, but that doesn't seem old these days.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

71, but that doesn't seem old these days.  

Prostate cancer, apparently.

• Sad 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I really liked this guy as an actor....he seemed 'real' in a way that many others did not.

Barry Bailey, guitarist for the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

I think more people will recognise this song more than his name or the band's.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I really liked this guy as an actor....he seemed 'real' in a way that many others did not.

RIP

I'm going to rewatch Body Heat and if you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.