Time for Sir Paul McCartney to call it a day?

I just watched Sir Paul McCartney on You Tube  --- his concert in New York's Grand Central Station last September to promote his new album "Egypt Station."

As a long time avid Beatles and Paul McCartney fan it was pretty embarrassing. Paul's voice is shot to pieces. It has been going downhill for 20 years. His 2005 tour was his last credible performance (see the concert video "The Space Between Us"). "Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard" (2005) was his last impressive album. He now depends on his band to fill in the vocal spaces he cannot reach for many of his old songs, like "Can't Buy Me Love." He has not performed "Here, There, and Everywhere" for over two decades, despite he (and John Lennon) identifying it as one his best songs. That is because he cannot reach all the notes. Plus his new songs are absolutely mediocre at best. He has such a brilliant resume, such a list of wonderful songs he has written and performed over a 56 year history, that he is damaging his reputation by keeping going, especially with his live performances.

I think that it is time for him to retire, at least from live performances. He has nothing left to prove, other than that he doesn't know when to stop. 

Do you agree?

10 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I just watched Sir Paul McCartney on You Tube  --- his concert in New York's Grand Central Station last September to promote his new album "Egypt Station."

As a long time avid Beatles and Paul McCartney fan it was pretty embarrassing. Paul's voice is shot to pieces. It has been going downhill for 20 years. His 2005 tour was his last credible performance (see the concert video "The Space Between Us"). "Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard" (2005) was his last impressive album. He now depends on his band to fill in the vocal spaces he cannot reach for many of his old songs, like "Can't Buy Me Love." He has not performed "Here, There, and Everywhere" for over two decades, despite he (and John Lennon) identifying it as one his best songs. That is because he cannot reach all the notes. Plus his new songs are absolutely mediocre at best. He has such a brilliant resume, such a list of wonderful songs he has written and performed over a 56 year history, that he is damaging his reputation by keeping going, especially with his live performances.

I think that it is time for him to retire, at least from live performances. He has nothing left to prove, other than that he doesn't know when to stop. 

Do you agree?

Watching Paul McCartney trying to perform live is like watching Neil Fox still trying to play Rugby League.

Fortunately Neil doesn't, and Paul should follow his example, as should many other elderly rock musicians.

Some old stagers still manage to put on a great show. In November last year I ticked an item off my bucket list by going to see Billy Joel live at Madison Square Garden in NY, and even though he was full of a cold he put on an amazing show including a few 'friends' who I suspect he brought on to do a few songs so he could give his voice a rest, also I'd never have expected to hear Take a Walk on the Wild Side, Walk this way (complete with Aerosmith's  Joe Perry playing lead guitar), and Bohemian Rhapsody at a Billy Joel concert.

The last few times I've seen (on TV or youtube... I've never had the privilege of seeing him live) Sir Paul McCartney I've thought similar that his voice is shot. Perhaps he should continue to write music, as its clearly a love of his, but perhaps get other people to perform some of his new songs. That said if he still sells the tickets, who am I to argue.

I heard a new song of his a couple of months ago, here's the 2nd half of the song's lyrics, the first half at least contains a couple of verses but they're something like a 6 year old would write:

If you come on to me, then I'll come on to you

If you come on to me, will I come on to you?

Yes I will, yes I will, yes I will now
Yes I will, yes I will, yes I will now, uh-huh

If you, if come on to me (yeah), then I'll come on to you
Yeah, yeah, yeah (if you come on to me, then I'll come on to you)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
I'll come on to you whoo!

THEN it's autotuned to hell, his excuse is that if the Beatles had autotune in the 60s they'd have definitely used it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Those lyrics!

I’m sure there are some even  worse lyrics than those in that song.

Remember that special first verse of The Joker by Steve Miller Band:

“Some people call me the space cowboy yeah
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
'Cause I speak of the pompitous of love.”

Poetry or what?

I was never a "Paul" fan, more a "John" man.   But although many Beatles songs were largely individual efforts, each added to the other's work.  They neither of them were as good apart as together.  But Paul has written some real dogs since the split.  "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time"  IMO is not just the worst Christmas song ever, It's the worst song ever by anyone.  He's got enough brass, time to pack it in.  He looks like Ken Dodd too!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I'll almost forgive him anything for some of the lyrics he wrote for the Beatles. He may have used Lennon as an editor, and that would have elimated some of his worst schmaltz but, Eleanor Rigby? Poetry.

Ah look at all the lonely people
Eleanor Rigby, picks up the rice
In the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face
That she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?
All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?
Father McKenzie, writing the words
Of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near
Look at him working, darning his socks
In the night when there's nobody there
What does he care
All the lonely people
All the lonely people
Eleanor Rigby, died in the church
And was buried along with her name
Nobody came
Father McKenzie, wiping the dirt
From his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved
All the lonely people
All the lonely people

However, he was terrible 7 years ago at the Olympics and I daren't listen to him anymore.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Those lyrics!

Poetry or what?

There are a couple of great call and response I've seen (most recently a good twitter one) to that where. For eg, "The space what now …" … "Who's ever called you Maurice?" … "How are you spelling pompitous …"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, ckn said:

I heard a new song of his a couple of months ago, here's the 2nd half of the song's lyrics, the first half at least contains a couple of verses but they're something like a 6 year old would write:

THEN it's autotuned to hell, his excuse is that if the Beatles had autotune in the 60s they'd have definitely used it.

That's a bit mucky.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Perhaps. 

Or, he can continue to do what he loves for as long as he can. He is nudging 80, people know this.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Those lyrics!

Poetry or what?

Steve Miller was a 'Space Cowboy' at the time, where your head was at, to quote another song, tended to compliment the lyrics in that era.

I agree with the point that many bands should have quietly faded away, I was always a massive Sprinsteen fan and saw him home and abroad many times, then saw him when Miami Steve Van Zant rejoined the band at the MEN in May 99, never thought I would say it but it was a bunch of overdressed old men going through the motions. I still listen to some of his recent stuff, shows etc but nothing really impresses much, prefer to keep to my memories and old concert recordings, same with another of my favourite bands the Long Ryders, now reformed and playing in Manchester soon, I have seen recent stuff on YouTube etc and think I will stick with the past.  Really it comes down to do I think or want to see a old git like me up on stage performing and while they may have the talent I woefully lack the answer is a resounding no?

I saw the Stones in 1990 and thought they were great, then again in 1994 and they were clearly phoning in their performance.

I dread to think what their summer 2019 tour will be like, embarrassing for all concerned I imagine.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Perhaps. 

Or, he can continue to do what he loves for as long as he can. He is nudging 80, people know this.  

This.

I think he carries on because he enjoys it too much to pack it in. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Steve Miller was a 'Space Cowboy' at the time, where your head was at, to quote another song, tended to compliment the lyrics in that era.

I agree with the point that many bands should have quietly faded away, I was always a massive Sprinsteen fan and saw him home and abroad many times, then saw him when Miami Steve Van Zant rejoined the band at the MEN in May 99, never thought I would say it but it was a bunch of overdressed old men going through the motions. I still listen to some of his recent stuff, shows etc but nothing really impresses much, prefer to keep to my memories and old concert recordings, same with another of my favourite bands the Long Ryders, now reformed and playing in Manchester soon, I have seen recent stuff on YouTube etc and think I will stick with the past.  Really it comes down to do I think or want to see a old git like me up on stage performing and while they may have the talent I woefully lack the answer is a resounding no?

Springsteen's Broadway show was a perfect example of what you can do when you're 70. Beuatiful recollection of his early life and career with chilling solo/acoustic versions of some of his best songs.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, ckn said:

That really doesn’t translate to well to being written down like that ...

36 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

This.

I think he carries on because he enjoys it too much to pack it in. 

Plus when you get really big in any field of entertainment, there are a lot of people whose livelihoods depend on you. You are no longer just a person, you are a mini-industry.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Part of the problem is that by going on for so long he blemishes our memory of when he and the Beatles really were great.

I think that's only temporary. I don't think in 30/40 years time when he's no longer with us, they'll talk of his 2018 album blemishing what The Beatles achieved, it'll likely be a largely ignored footnote.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Probably influenced by a certain Grace Slick and her White Rabbit which was influenced by a certain Lewis Carroll book written 100 years before she wrote the song.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Obviously, as a dollar billionaire, Paul McCartney doesn't need the money. Rather, he has publicly admitted his insecurities, and said that he wants to keep proving that he is good. But instead, despite the loyal and uncritical fans who still show up, he does the opposite.

If Paul McCartney had retired from touring in 2005, at age 63, when he still had 70% of his old voice, and had just produced a very good album ("Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"), then everybody would have been reverential albeit nostalgic. That would have been going out when you are still on top. Instead as Martyn Sadler says, he is blemishing his past -- or at least his past solo career, because The Beatles dissolved when they were still the greatest pop music band in history, and remain as such. ("Abbey Road" was a wonderful high point to go out on).

Paul can continue to write music, though not being able to sing anywhere near the full vocal range that he once had might even be inhibiting his talent in that regard.

Obviously Paul's financially dependent support entourage will never advocate to him calling it a day. But I wonder if his rich heiress wife Nancy, who like Paul also doesn't need the money, has ever suggested retirement to him? Or does she fear that doing so would put him in a spiral of angst or even depression?

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

He should have been retired after this monstrosity 

He's only half responsible - he did the lyrics, not the music (The Eton Boating Song).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived