I've got a few issues myself with my mother suffering awful depression and going through a very bad time with my partner. I feel very low lately and not sure where to turn but hearing this has somehow made me feel like it can be fixed. Just had a few tears writing this such a top player and bloke made me really think today. I so hope somehow he can be treated.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Tragic.

There should really be a study into any possible link between playing Rugby of either code and this terrible disease. The numbers seem to be very high.

From memory, it is more common in people who've been athletic. My father died of MND in his early 50s and was in shape his whole life including years as an amateur rugby player. I think the Burgess' dad was similar too.

I was in tears when I saw the interview. It is rare to find a player as universally liked and respected as Rob Burrow, and to think of his young family. It's just so cruel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Rhino said:

I varies hugely. Stephen Hawking lived with it for decades and still did some of his best work with it.

It's still a desperately cruel thing though 

Hawking is very much the exception to the point that many suspect he had something other than MND.

Again all from memory, I think the average is 2-3 years but a high percentage die within 18 months. 

Very sad to hear this news.  A super player who certainly played above his weight.  He appeared to have the heart of a lion, so hopefully he'll defy the odds, like he did on the rugby field.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Col81 said:

I've got a few issues myself with my mother suffering awful depression and going through a very bad time with my partner. I feel very low lately and not sure where to turn but hearing this has somehow made me feel like it can be fixed. Just had a few tears writing this such a top player and bloke made me really think today. I so hope somehow he can be treated.

Stay strong Col. We are a big community here at TRL. Private messages are fine too. Seriously, we are a big old family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It is rare to find a player as universally liked and respected as Rob Burrow, and to think of his young family. It's just so cruel.

I think this point is spot on and  speaks volumes about him. 

Other than rugby discussions I have never heard a bad word said about him. He comes across as a great bloke, a true entertainer, 3xcellent rugby player with a smile on his face. Upsetting to see his interview today. 

18 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Over £40,000 raised in under a day for his fund, RL family pulling together for Rob 

Truly amazing to see and would add some very high profile union players are offering support and asking people to donate. How it should be but nonetheless remarkable. 

Just saw his interview and it has left me crestfallen. Utterly heartbreaking. To hear Rob Burrow talk about his condition with such admirable stoicism just makes it seem all the more cruel. Gutted for him.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Stay strong Col. We are a big community here at TRL. Private messages are fine too. Seriously, we are a big old family.

Couldn’t agree more - I echo these sentiments. Days like today really make you think and put an awful lot things into perspective. So to hear a fellow poster @Col81 having a tough time then I’d like it to be known, whilst we’re all just a set of (sometimes questionable) usernames, the vast majority seem very good eggs who would happily help in anyway we can. 

• Like 7

One of the most emotional things I've ever heard on the radio today. This man is a true hero and as a Salford fan and part of the rugby league family I want to help and support in anyway I/we can #realhero

2 hours ago, Col81 said:

Ditto. I've been off work for almost half the the year with depression. This puts my battles into perspective. I know that I, and you, can win. Rob's problems are not open ended. No one deserves what he is experiencing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Mike Gregory, too.  

Phil Stephenson, Adam Maher, Paul Fisher, Lee Newton, Simon Smith, Doddie Weir, Joost van der Westhuizen, Tinus Linee, Ken Waters, Mark Burgess, Nick Smith, Paul Darbyshire ,Tu'u Maori, Scott Gale and many others. 

For a disease that affects .002% of the population the Rugby numbers are too big. Might be nothing, but should be looked at in depth.

Not seen many things as heartbreaking as Rob's interviews.

• Thanks 1

All the very best to Rob Burrow, such a special player.  Punched absolutely miles above his weight, unmatched turn of pace on him in Super League, and I include Robinson in that.  Him tearing up Saints when he was a bit over the hill (in theory) is one of my favourite ever Grand Final memories, even as a neutral.  

God bless Rob, and fight it like a warrior.

2 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Phil Stephenson, Adam Maher, Paul Fisher, Lee Newton, Simon Smith, Doddie Weir, Joost van der Westhuizen, Tinus Linee, Ken Waters, Mark Burgess, Nick Smith, Paul Darbyshire ,Tu'u Maori, Scott Gale and many others. 

For a disease that affects .002% of the population the Rugby numbers are too big. Might be nothing, but should be looked at in depth.

Not seen many things as heartbreaking as Rob's interviews.

Good heavens. More affected than  I thought. ?

Four legs good - two legs bad